Chewy

Arrival | Nov 11, 2016 | Villeneuve/Adams/Renner | First Reviews Have Arrived.

On June 17, 2016 at 6:19 PM, WrathOfHan said:

Make what you will of this but someone on Reddit has seen the movie https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/4ojpr1/amy_adams_scifi_thriller_arrival_from_sicario/d4d81xn

He gives it a 7.5 (by comparison Sicario 9.5, Prisoners 8.5, Enemy 6)

The movie is nowhere near the tone of Sicario or Prisoners, it's closest to Enemy

It's a drama/romance with a sci-fi theme

The movie isn't arthouse but it isn't mainstream either

If the lack of mainstream appeal is true Paramount should do a NY/LA release on Christmas then expand in January before Oscar nominations like The Revenant. 

The movie screened last month, so this has a good chance of being true.

November is stacked with prestige fare.

• Like 2

I thought Enemy and Sicario had a very similar tone, the former was more of a mindfuck but they're recognizably the work of the same director. A drama/romance/sci-fi combo strikes me as very different from both of those.

And yeah Enemy is easily his best film.

• Like 1

Villeneuve is slowly becoming one of my favorite filmmakers. It's truly remarkable how he managed to make 5 very good movies, with some of them being a goddamn masterpiece, in a span of 6 years. I think that's unheard of, isn't it?

Personally, I find Incendies unquestionably his best, followed closely by Enemy. He has no bad movie, really. (yes I'm ignoring his first movie Maelstrom, which isn't bad by itself).

Reddit dude saying this is close to Enemy makes me more excited than I already was. 

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

Just now, kitik said:

lack of advertising and marketing for this movie shows that there are no large studio expectations for it.

It's not the kind of movie that really needs a lavish marketing campaign months and months in advance.

Besides, the first trailer will probably premiere with Star Trek (another sci-fi release from Paramount).

• Like 1

Wow this is going to have the TRIFECTA of festivals.

TELLURIDE

VENICE

TIFF

Bodes very well for it.

Telluride will be announced in a few weeks but it's listed as Canadian premiere at TIFF which means 99% its going to Telluride

And Venice will announce Wednesday!

Am stoked!