Plain Old Tele

Tele's 100 Favorite Movies aka "Comfort Food" (complete)

90. Wall-E (2008)

Pixar goes pure SF for the first time, and it's magic. The first time I saw Wall-E it was a cruddy, low-res, unfinished version on a little 13" monitor with a temp mix and partial temp score... and it still brought me to tears. The first 30 minutes are some of the best non-vocal moviemaking ever.

Pixar is almost uniformly excellent at having their endings pay off all the key emotional elements of a story, and here they manage to bring a ton of emotion to two non-human (and really non-humanoid) characters who barely speak more than a handful of words throughout the entire movie.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 22

Okay, intermission time. Here are some of the movies that didn't make it -- complete with trailers. If you haven't seen 'em before, check them out!

Clue (1985)

Death Becomes Her (1995)

Wind (1993)

Re-Animator (1985)

Weekend At Bernie's (1989)

Die Hard 2: Die Harder (1990)

InnerSpace (1987)

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 7

90. Wall-E (2008)

Pixar goes pure SF for the first time, and it's magic. The first time I saw Wall-E it was a cruddy, low-res, unfinished version on a little 13" monitor with a temp mix and partial temp score... and it still brought me to tears. The first 30 minutes are some of the best non-vocal moviemaking ever.

Pixar is almost uniformly excellent at having their endings pay off all the key emotional elements of a story, and here they manage to bring a ton of emotion to two non-human (and really non-humanoid) characters who barely speak more than a handful of words throughout the entire movie.

Animation! what a sight for sore eyes!  :wub: hold on a second have you worked for Pixar?? you don't know Geefwee Boedoe do you?

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

89. About A Boy (2002)

Prior to seeing this, I never would've expected to love it as much as I do. I think it's a near perfect comedy, with a touch of drama, a touch of romance, all very cleverly put together. Hugh Grant, at the height of his powers, stars as a man with great (inherited) wealth, someone who doesn't have to work a day for the rest of his life. And yet, though it seems he has everything (and certainly he would say that he does), there's an emptiness there.... an emptiness filled in the most unexpected way. X-Men fans might get a kick of Nicholas Hoult as a very awkward kid.

• Like 6

I don't know him/her/it. :lol: I worked on some promotional behind-the-scenes stuff back then.

I see, cool, he used to work for Disney/Pixar. as an animator, he did the opening title scene in Monster's Inc.  he's short film Let's Pollute was nominated for an Oscar a few years back. he is my Brother-in-law's brother. 

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 2

87. Stand and Deliver (1988)

"The ROCKY of the classroom" as one critic says (quoted in the trailer). This real-life story is tremendously inspiring and entertaining: about a no-name teacher assigned to teach math class to one of the worst schools in the Los Angeles Unified School District. It's also one of the rare movies that's about Latinos and stars Latinos, and it unexpectedly ended up being one of the big hits of the year. Edward James Olmos -- yes, Admiral Adama -- delivers a great performance and got nominated for an Academy Award.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 6

86. The Bounty (1984)

A relatively unknown epic these days, this is a classic piece of filmmaking with a stellar script by the legendary Robert Bolt and a lush score by Vangelis (some of which can be heard in the trailer). The movie was often compared (negatively) to the 1962 and 1935 versions, but this one stands the test of time and I think now has a better reputation than it once did. It stays a good deal closer to the actual events of the famous mutiny: Bligh is not a one-dimensional villain and Christian not a pure hero, and the movie also takes the time to show Bligh's brilliant piece of navigating that kept him and his faithful men alive across 3,600 nautical miles in an open boat.

And check out this cast! Along with Hopkins, Olivier, Gibson, and Fox, you've got (in smaller roles) Daniel Day-Lewis, Bernard Hill, and Liam Neeson.

• Like 4

85. The Fugitive (1993)

One of those movies that Hollywood used to make fairly frequently but doesn't do very often anymore: an adult-oriented dramatic thriller packaged as a summer movie. This was one of the earlier efforts to mine old TV shows for big-budget movies, and it ended up better than I think anyone expected. Ford is at the top of his game playing a very smart man on the run, and Tommy Lee Jones matches him scene for scene as the equally smart marshall out to catch him. The bus escape sequence was one of the big hits of the summer action season -- every time I saw it in theaters it never failed to get a big reaction from the audience.

• Like 16

Tele, I'm impressed.  Your taste in film mirrors mine in a lot of ways.

Some quick comments:

B.S. Dracula:  One of the best movies of the 90's.  Hopkins was hysterically brilliant \.

Bill and Ted:  Terrific comedy, Carlin is priceless in his small role.

The Bounty, I forgot all about that film, damn, what a cast!

JFK:  Glad you like it as much as you do.

Fugitive:  Glad you like it as much as you do

The Rocketeer:  I've never seen this one....shame on me

Stand and Deliver does just that.

Terrific list so far.  I love your insite as well.

• Like 3