Plain Old Tele

Tele's 100 Favorite Movies aka "Comfort Food" (complete)

84. Field of Dreams (1989)

Baseball is the backdrop for a story about hope, dreams, miracles, and loss. Kevin Costner stars as an Iowa farmer who hears a voice whispering in his cornfield, "If you build it, they will come". Against all logic, and risking the ridicule of his community, he decides to build a baseball diamond in the cornfield... and ghosts from baseball's past begin to appear. Deeply touching and very emotional. What a wonderful and uncynical movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHTsQ9qePrQ

• Like 6

I'm off the grid until 9pm tonight.

I'll check in from time to time on my phone.

Loving your list so far, grampa.  

• Like 1

I've actually seen 8 of these so far. liked most of them. love the Fugitive and Wall-e, Groundhog day and Field of Dreams are really good too.

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

83. Dune (1984)

Known as one of the biggest disasters of all time, this is actually a glorious mess filled with awesomeness and beauty.... and yeah, lots of lousy stuff too. But it's so bizarre and so willing to try weird things that it ends being fascinating. It will be near-incomprehensible on first viewing if you haven't read the book.

• Like 8

Brave

edit: Oh, and Monsters Uni, forgot about that

those both fall in the middle for me. I liked them though. Brave is not as bad a some people make it out to be.

• Like 1

82. Armageddon (1998)

Corny as hell, but this was back when Bay didn't have total absolute control, and here he has a master veteran producer at his back and the best script doctoring money can buy. This movie is kinda infamous for having tons of writers involved, each focusing on refining a particular scene or moment or area. So even beyond the credited writers, there were a ton of talented people involved. The result is almost ruined by Bayhem in spots (the movie probably would be better if some of the asteroid shenanigans were tightened up), but it's immensely entertaining and has a lot of heart and emotion... aspects which I personally feel are lacking in Bay's more recent movies. Love it.

• Like 11