Plain Old Tele

Tele's 100 Favorite Movies aka "Comfort Food" (complete)

86. The Bounty (1984)

A relatively unknown epic these days, this is a classic piece of filmmaking with a stellar script by the legendary Robert Bolt and a lush score by Vangelis (some of which can be heard in the trailer). The movie was often compared (negatively) to the 1962 and 1935 versions, but this one stands the test of time and I think now has a better reputation than it once did. It stays a good deal closer to the actual events of the famous mutiny: Bligh is not a one-dimensional villain and Christian not a pure hero, and the movie also takes the time to show Bligh's brilliant piece of navigating that kept him and his faithful men alive across 3,600 nautical miles in an open boat.

And check out this cast! Along with Hopkins, Olivier, Gibson, and Fox, you've got (in smaller roles) Daniel Day-Lewis, Bernard Hill, and Liam Neeson.

Then he would go on to be Governor of New South Wales and you'll never guess what happened then.
  • Like 2

Tele, I'm impressed.  Your taste in film mirrors mine in a lot of ways.

Some quick comments:

B.S. Dracula:  One of the best movies of the 90's.  Hopkins was hysterically brilliant \.

Bill and Ted:  Terrific comedy, Carlin is priceless in his small role.

The Bounty, I forgot all about that film, damn, what a cast!

JFK:  Glad you like it as much as you do.

Fugitive:  Glad you like it as much as you do

The Rocketeer:  I've never seen this one....shame on me

Stand and Deliver does just that.

Terrific list so far.  I love your insite as well.

Thanks, B. Yes, in a lot of ways, we have similar tastes (putting aside the horror genre, for the most part). You've never seen THE ROCKETEER? How is that possible? It's pretty tame compared to superhero movies today, but it has a great retro feel and Jennifer Connolly is just about as hot as is humanly possible (while staying fully clothed).

• Like 3

Ok, I've heard of 3 or 4 movies so far. Fight Club would make my Top 10 All Time and Inception would be in Top 100.

I think you'd like a lot of these '90s movies. They don't rely on tons of VFX so they aren't as dated as you might think, and in terms of editing/cinematography/style they're basically very similar to today's movies. Check out DRACULA, if you haven't seen it before. I think you'll get a kick out of it (bad Keanu Reeves acting and all). Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 4

Thanks, B. Yes, in a lot of ways, we have similar tastes (putting aside the horror genre, for the most part). You've never seen THE ROCKETEER? How is that possible? It's pretty tame compared to superhero movies today, but it has a great retro feel and Jennifer Connolly is just about as hot as is humanly possible (while staying fully clothed).

I used to collect Premiere Magazines and I still have many of them.  I have the summer of 91 preview issue where they predicted their top films of the summer at the box office.  I remember they picked Rocketeer to finish very high, it didn't of course.  

I have no idea why I never got around to seeing it.  There are just some films that slip through your fingers and then you forget about them as the years go by.  I agree with you about Connolly.  That was also before her breast reduction.  :)

• Like 4

Oh man, CAREER OPPORTUNITIES. I watched that damn coin-operated horsey scene so many goddamn times....

As Stingray said about Eleniak in Under Siege, Connolly ruined my VCR in Career Opportunities.  Pretty risque movie for John Hughes.

• Like 1

Woke up to use the washroom, it's now 4AM

Dam you forums!!  Damn you to all to hell.

Going back to bed.  Good talking to all of you west coasters and other continent people.  :)

• Like 2

loving this list too so far Tele... 

Loving Bill & Ted made the cut... damn i love that film too .... might have to go and watch it again ;)

• Like 1