Plain Old Tele

Tele's 100 Favorite Movies aka "Comfort Food" (complete)

I just wasn't sure if I actually needed to post anything. :lol:

1. Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

The intellectual epic that all others are compared with. Lean is in top form, using KWAI as a starting point and taking it to another level. Robert Bolt's script (from an earlier draft by Robert Wilson) is legendary -- sparse, elegant, never a wasted word. Freddie Young's 70mm cinematography and Maurice Jarre's score are likewise legendary. Like STAR WARS and 2001 would later, this movie inspired a whole generation of filmmakers and is the gold standard for why movies should be seen on as big a screen as possible.

I never would have guessed this

• Like 1

IDK if you spoke about these films, so just wanted your opinion on them:

The Godfather: Part 1 & 2, Citizen Kane.

And this is a fantastic list. Lots of films that I need to check out + choices that I love. The best part about the list is the diversity; you have highbrow films (2001, Lawrence of Arabia) with stuff that's supposedly "low brow" (Armageddon, Raiders) and everything in between, plus you hit all of the major genres.

• Like 1

I just read this thread trough and Tele you made an awesome list! Didn't see like 50% of the movies, but since the start (I followed daily till top 50) I already watched 4 of the movies and they were good (some great :D) I realy enjoyed this list!

• Like 1

IDK if you spoke about these films, so just wanted your opinion on them:

The Godfather: Part 1 & 2, Citizen Kane.

And this is a fantastic list. Lots of films that I need to check out + choices that I love. The best part about the list is the diversity; you have highbrow films (2001, Lawrence of Arabia) with stuff that's supposedly "low brow" (Armageddon, Raiders) and everything in between, plus you hit all of the major genres.

I've never heard of Raiders considered low brow

• Like 1

It's actually a lot easier than it sounds. You think of a great film, you write it down. You think of another one, you compare the two and write it down either higher or lower. And keep doing it until you run out of movies :P

The hard bit is making sure you haven't missed anything.

Then once you're done you just take the highest 100.

not really I've been working on mine for weeks, plus I've had a list to keep up with forever. I'm trying to decide when I should do mine, as there are some films I really want to see first. but as it is now I really like how it looks.

• Like 1

I thoroughly enjoyed your list and your comments.  Full of terrific insight and it taught me things I didn't know before.  Well done sir.

It also made me want to watch Aliens again.  Two nights ago I  watched Raiders and then last night after work, I put in the director's cut of Aliens.  This is for all intents and purposes, Cameron's second film he directed.  What a job he did.  Two scenes I noticed in the film, perhaps even more than the other 500 times I've seen the movie:

The scene where the marines save Ripley and Newt after they were locked in med lab.  Tense, nail biting and action packed.  It was also a great juxtaposition to the marines bravado at the beginning.  Here they have two tiny babies and it takes about 4 marines to kill them and they struggled to do so.

Then there's the best scene of the movie.....the scene where the xenomorphs are coming at them but in the ceiling....the tracker...the beeps, "you ain't reading it right" the revelation they're in the ceiling.....it's about as tense and scary as any great horror movie.

I'm glad we both did this and had Aliens so high...so much fun watching it again.

• Like 2

Pulp Fiction

Pulp Fiction is a fantastic movie!... in fact Quentin Tarantino is amazing! there seems to be a lack of his films in these countdowns so far.

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 2

Nice work you did here Tele!

I'm not really able to rank my favourits (that's why I listed them by release year in my list) and it makes little sense with those wildly different genres. I would feel like cheating on the others if I made one of them nr.1 :lol:

btw, I like LoA a lot, especially on the big screen, but I found the acting not that good (with the exception of O'Toole).

• Like 1

I count all his films except Django and Death Proof among my all-time favorites.

You speak the truth, Jake. All of QT's movies, except Django and Death Proof, are 9s and 10s. In fact, QT is probably one of the few directors who doesn't have a single dud on his filmography (Death Proof is alright, imo).
  • Like 3

You speak the truth, Jake. All of QT's movies, except Django and Death Proof, are 9s and 10s. In fact, QT is probably one of the few directors who doesn't have a single dud on his filmography (Death Proof is alright, imo).

This heresy in my thread cannot stand.

I still haven't seen all of his films. but why the dislike for Django?