peludo

Adjusting Exchange Rates... (First post updated with Jason's new list)

44 minutes ago, kswiston said:

@Jason

Do you plan on continuing to update this table, or is this a project that you have taken as far as you are interested in taking?

I've actually been continuing to update my personal file (with new exchange rates but not more films), but a forum software updates causes all the formatting to disappear when I copy+paste them here, which makes the tables really, really hard to read. The USD has weakened by a few percent in the past few months, which hasn't been enough to make me feel rushed to find a solution. One thing I've considered is embedding a google doc but last time I tried that it was a bit buggy.

I also need to add the ticket data from 2016 (to replace the estimates I've been using). That's been available for all the countries in my list since early May-ish but I've been a bit busy. Still planning on doing it though.

• Like 8

Titanic going to the top when adjusted for TP makes sense. In India it had done 55-65 crore Rs (which would be 8.5-10m USD with today's ER) back in 1998 when India only had single screens. 2001-2003 onward things really changed.

Today that would be 10x : 85-100m USD. This is not even accounting for population and ticket sales increase. Just using the same number of tickets sold with today's EP and ER. Two decades of population and income/economic growth probably means 150-200m USD (Similar to tickets sold by Bahuballi 2 in India, combining revenue from all Indian languages).

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

Alright, I've embedded the Google Sheets table posted above in the "master post". I'll update the title of the spreadsheet whenever I update the exchange rates - currently updated to June 30. I'm currently working on collecting 2016 ticket price data, and will use that to adjust the ticket prices with 2017 estimates as soon as possible.

Adjusted OS grosses are an average of 2.2% higher compared with February 16 exchange rates.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 1

On 7/4/2017 at 2:38 AM, a2k said:

Titanic going to the top when adjusted for TP makes sense. In India it had done 55-65 crore Rs (which would be 8.5-10m USD with today's ER) back in 1998 when India only had single screens. 2001-2003 onward things really changed.

Today that would be 10x : 85-100m USD. This is not even accounting for population and ticket sales increase. Just using the same number of tickets sold with today's EP and ER. Two decades of population and income/economic growth probably means 150-200m USD (Similar to tickets sold by Bahuballi 2 in India, combining revenue from all Indian languages).

LOL what. You know Titanic sold half the tickets of 1998 biggest Bollywood grosser and less than 1/3rd of 90s biggest grossser. That would roughly means selling 15-17mn Approx tickets today or $50-55mn Approx.