Join our Telegram group by clicking the following link:

https://t.me/joinchat/BDsV7QrWB2ogzJ811S043A

You can get Telegram by downloading the app and creating an account using your phone number. You can then change your username to your forum name.

Sign in to follow this  
Manchester by the Tree

Magic Mike XXL vs. Terminator: Genisys

You are making good sense. I guess Spy Kids and Sex and the City don't count? I get what you mean, but I still disagree. I can't see Terminator open over 30m let alone finish over 100m.

Sex and the City would count more for Magic Mike since they have the same audience. While the Spy Kids movies were popular kids from 01-03 then they tried to make a sequel many years later. The Terminator franchise is a whole different animal, it's a popular worldwide franchise that's been around for over 30 years. I'm not sure why you have such extremely low expectations for the movie. When the last two films had 42-44 million dollar opening weeks without inflation(65-72 million five day openings). That's with one of them having a R rating and without 3D or IMAX ticket prices. 

Now if another big budget action movie was opening closer to Terminator Genisys. I could see a sub 30 million opening as a possibility. But considering it will be the only NEW big budget action movie in theaters on 4th of July weekend. Well it would be shocking if it didn't open at least as well as the last two movies. Especially since like I said before big budget franchise/brands getting summer releases don't bomb out like that. Not when they had the track record this franchise has had. That is also why Paramount has confidently already set the release dates for the next two Terminator sequels. Along with why studios keep making sequels and reboots to popular franchises.

Edited by gb0708
  • Like 1

I dont think Arnold has rock hard abs anymore.

Maybe not rock hard abs, but nobody in Magic Mike has arms like this. Not bad for a 67 year old.

11049153_420725758095171_2061983853_n.jp

Edited by gb0708
  • Like 1

the difference is that the guys in Magic Mike are actually hot.

Arnold not hot lol? How about Jai Courtney? I'd pay to see J.K. Simmons strip over Channing Tatum any day of the week lol.

Arnold not hot lol? How about Jai Courtney? I'd pay to see J.K. Simmons strip over Channing Tatum any day of the week lol.

I love Arnie but no, he's not hot. He's just pure muscle, it's horrible  :sick:

Jai Courtney seems lifeless and I don't like having sex with corpses

Channing Tatum is quite hot but not amazing, not as hot as some people think (and tbh most of my friends agree)

I find JK Simmons quite hot actually lol, the hottest out of the 4 mentioned in your post

Maybe not rock hard abs, but nobody in Magic Mike has arms like this. Not bad for a 67 year old.

11049153_420725758095171_2061983853_n.jp

Ok so battle of the biceps then?

Seriously though, we know terminator is not going to appeal to the same demographic as MM. I dont think anyone in Terminator is a sex symbol anymore, whereas MM is full of them.

I see Terminator as mainly older males, possibly skewing a bit younger with the action spectacle. MM will be women and any boyfriends that get dragged along.

Edited by RaidensSword

Terminator feels more like a July 4 weekend movie, even though it's a somewhat tired franchise. Magic Mike novelty has probably worn off and it did not have good audience reception. I expect Edge of Tomorrow numbers at worst for Terminator and thats because the legs will likely be cut off. Meanwhile, Magic Mike will be lucky to make half of the original. 

Terminator: OW-35m DOM:110m

Magic Mike: OW-24m DOM:70m

Edited by babz06

Yeah, Magic Mike 2 has a lot of hurdles it seems. No novelty, no McConaughey, no Soderbergh (whose presence behind the camera drew curiosity from film fans/even males that it wouldn't have had otherwise), the fact it's a random sequel to a film that was a one-and-done. If it finishes close to the first I'll be impressed.

• Like 1

My predicts for the 3-day and my 5-day should correspond with their rankings

Terminator: Genisys - 38M

Magic Mike XXL - 32M

Yeah, Magic Mike 2 has a lot of hurdles it seems. No novelty, no McConaughey, no Soderbergh (whose presence behind the camera drew curiosity from film fans/even males that it wouldn't have had otherwise), the fact it's a random sequel to a film that was a one-and-done. If it finishes close to the first I'll be impressed.

Soderbergh has never been a box office draw, he had nothing to do with the film's success and the loss of him won't impact it.

• Like 1

Comingsoon.net previewed all the big summer weekend match ups. Here's what they said about Terminator Genisys and Magic Mike XXL

4th of July weekend has been the most common time for a box office face-off, and while there have been a number of significant battles like when  Despicable Me 2 took on Johnny Depp’s The Lone Ranger in 2013, one of them almost always dominates the other. This year’s face-off between Terminator Genisys, which puts Arnold Schwarzenegger back into his most popular role, and Magic Mike XXL, which takes Channing Tatum out of most of his clothes. Like with Mad Max vs. Pitch Perfect, this one seems like it will be divided among gender lines with most guys wanting to see Terminator and women going for the movie about male strippers with very little cross-over. The thing is that the Terminator franchise at least has a historic precedent of a 4th of July release with both Terminator 2: Judgment Day and Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines being released on the holiday. Neither of them had a huge opening weekend (maybe since they were released on a Wednesday), but the former went on to gross $200 million, which is a lot for 1991, while the latter grossed $150 million, which isn’t that much for 2003. At least they both did better than 2009’s Terminator Salvation. As far as Magic Mike XXL, it’s the type of movie that women would go see in groups after work and if they’re not working on Friday, July 3, then that might seriously cut into its weekend although it should do a lot of businessicon1.png on Wednesday and Thursday as well as in its inevitable Tuesday previews. This one seems like it’s weighing heavily in the favor of Terminator, which could do up to $70 million in its first five days, while Magic Mike XXL will probably do closer to $50 million.

http://www.comingsoon.net/weekend-warrior/features/437351-box-office-the-weekend-warrior-looks-at-the-summers-biggest-face-offs

Terminator is going to surprise a lot of people on this board.

Genesys 160m

Magic Mike 130m

Even though it makes me feel inadequate, I'm going Magic Mike.

Arnold could star in Magic Mike 3 and Tatum in the Terminator sequel...

http://pro.boxoffice.com/featured_stories/2015-05-long-range-forecast-terminator-genisys

I'm guessing these are FSS predictions:

Terminator - 32m (107m total)

MMXXL - 29m (101m total)

That would be probably around 45-50m for the 5-day for both.  Edit, probably more like 40-45m

Edited by MattW