Jandrew

Back To the Past: Jandrew Gets Cultured. Maltese Falcon, Arsenic, Blair Witch, etc.

Currently pre 1990's movies in my Netflix list are Top Gun (seen it), Taxi Driver, 48 Hours, The Way of the Dragon (may have seen it), Aristocats, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Escape from Alcatraz, Crocodile Dundee, Good Morning Vietnam, Fatal Attraction, and The Quiet Man. I had a bunch of the old James Bond's on there, but I guess I waited too long and Netflix deleted them. This doesn't include HBO and TCM and what not, but yeah lol. 

I haven't seen that many before 1980 either. only 94. I think but here are some Suggestions:

You Simply Must watch It's a Wonderful Life (1946). it is like the best movie about Christmas ever made.

Metropolis (1927) First Sci-fi film ever made I think. it's Brilliant and on Netflix
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) (how have you not see this yet?)

Modern Times (1936)

Gone With the Wind (1939) (overrated imo. but still very good)

Pinocchio (1940)

Bambi (1942) 

Alice in Wonderland (1951)

Singin' In the Rain (1952)

Peter Pan (1953)

Lady and the Tramp (1955)

Sleeping Beauty (1959)

Swiss Family Robinson (1960)

The Parent Trap (1961)

101 Dalmatians (1961) 

West Side Story (1961)

The Jungle Book (1967)

Moon Spinners (1964)

The Music Man (1962)

My Fair Lady (1964)
The Sound of Music (1965)

The Aristocats (1970)

Fiddler on the Roof (1971)

The Godfather (1972)

Robin Hood (1973)

Charlotte's Web (1973)

Rocky (1976)

The Rescuers (1977)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)

The Man Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977)

Superman: The Movie (1978) (Superman II was really good too)

Rocky II (1979) (III and IV too, V was kind of crappy, but watch it, and Rocky Balboa was pretty good too) 

Alien (1979) 

Mad Max (1979)

you Haven't seen STAR WARS?????!!!!!!!  :o  :o  :o  :unsure:  :wacko: . WATCH IT NOW!!!!!!!!!

What are the 1980s films you've seen? that decade was mint and to only see 27 films from then is disgraceful. 

Edited by Kalo

Kalo, 80s movies:

- Airplane

- Raiders

- Fast Times at Ridgemnont

- Trading Places

- NL Vacation

- Christmas Story

- 16 Candles

- Ghostbusters

- Karate Kid

- Revenge of the Nerds

- Beverly Hills Cop 1 and 2

- Goonies

- Top Gun

- Ferris Bueller

- Raising Arizona

- Harry and the Hendersons

- Roxanne

- Lucas

- Adventures in Babysitting

- Planes, Trains, Automobiles

- Bettlejuice

- Bull Durham

- Coming to America

- Die Hard

- Fish Called Wanda

- Honey I Shruunk the Kids

- Rain Man

- Batman

- Do the Right Thing

- One of the Police Academys

- I may have seen Rambo, but then again I may be thinking aboit the Rambo game I played at Chuck E Cheese

No I havent seen the original Star Wars, (though I did have Lego Star Wars on PS2). Ive already been hounded for it, but I plan on watching once I have time to marathon. I have all 6 here.

I feel like some elderly user might've just posted some list that has a good amount of 80s and pre-80s movies on it.

:ph34r:

If you need to see something real ancient, check out Tele's favorite movie list

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/index.php?/topic/18010-teles-100-favorite-movies-aka-comfort-food-complete/

Lol Ill go look. Tele has good taste. Thanks people for suggestions. Obviously I can watch them all now, but yall can help me with priorities. I might start with Big Men in Little China. Whats something else I could squeeze in tonight? Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 3

Kalo, 80s movies:

- Airplane

- Raiders

- Fast Times at Ridgemnont

- Trading Places

- NL Vacation

- Christmas Story

- 16 Candles

- Ghostbusters

- Karate Kid

- Revenge of the Nerds

- Beverly Hills Cop 1 and 2

- Goonies

- Top Gun

- Ferris Bueller

- Raising Arizona

- Harry and the Hendersons

- Roxanne

- Adventures in Babysitting

- Planes, Trains, Automobiles

- Bettlejuice

- Bull Durham

- Coming to America

- Die Hard

- Fish Called Wanda

- Honey I Shruunk the Kids

- Rain Man

- Batman

- Do the Right Thing

No I havent seen the original Star Wars, (though I did have Lego Star Wars on PS2). Ive already been hounded for it, but I plan on watching once I have time to marathon. I have all 6 here.

Well marathon is the way to go. and watch the prequels with an open mind, yeah the acting is not the greatest. but there is still plenty to like about them. and ROTS is amazing imo. (or have you already seen them?)

As for 80s aside from Empire and Jedi of course.

• The Blues Brothers (1980)
  • My Bodyguard (1980)
  • Superman II (1981)
  • The Fox and the Hound (1981)
  • The Man From Snowy River (1982)
  • The Scarlet Pimpernel (1982)
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
  • E.T. (1982)
  • War Games (1983)
  • The Terminator (1984)
  • Footloose (1984)
  • Amadeus (1984) 
  • Romancing the Stone (1984)
  • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)
  • Back To the Future (1985)
  • Anne of Green Gables (1985)
  • The Breakfast Club (1985)
  • Witness (1985)
  • Stand By Me (1986)
  • Aliens (1986)
  • Pretty in Pink (1986)
  • An American Tail (1986)
  • The Great Mouse Detective (1986)
  • The Princess Bride (1987)
  • Anne of Green Gables the Sequel (1987)
  • The Chipmunk Adventure (1987)
  • Dirty Dancing (1987)
  • Throw Mama From the Train (1987)
  • Big Business (1988)
  • The Land Before Time (1988)
  • Big (1988)
  • Return to Snowy River (1988)
  • Oliver and Company (1988)
  • The Little Mermaid (1989)
  • ​Christmas Vacation (1989)
  • Dead Poets Society (1989) 
  • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
  • Steel Magnolias (1989)
  • All Dogs Go to Heaven (1989)

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

The biggest reason im lacking so much is becasue I just cant find these movies. Like The Towering Inferno, I really want to see it, but cant find it anywhere. Its not on Netflix, HBO, etc. and I dont download movies off the net. Other than the library, where can I find it? I dont like renting offItunes, but even they dont have it.

Came out 41 years ago, I wish there was some public domain or something.

• Like 1

The biggest reason im lacking so much is becasue I just cant find these movies. Like The Towering Inferno, I really want to see it, but cant find it anywhere. Its not on Netflix, HBO, etc. and I dont download movies off the net. Other than the library, where can I find it? I dont like renting offItunes, but even they dont have it.

Came out 41 years ago, I wish there was some public domain or something.

There's a window for video stores right now.... carry all the titles not currently available via streaming/Netflix/Redbox/etc.

• Like 2

1 movie down! Thanks Ed for suggesting BIg Trouble In Little China. While it got pretty damn weird like 6 or 7 times, it was still alot of fun and the editing was excellent. Kurt Russell felt almost like a parody, his character stuck out like a sore thumb, but he was still very likeable. The story was iffy, but it was still a pretty entertaining in an unorthodox, but good way.

Now to find something else for tonight!

There's a window for video stores right now.... carry all the titles not currently available via streaming/Netflix/Redbox/etc.

What do you mean? Theres stores that carry what the streamings dont? All the blockbusters here closed. Or are you saying they should?

1 movie down! Thanks Ed for suggesting BIg Trouble In Little China. While it got pretty damn weird like 6 or 7 times, it was still alot of fun and the editing was excellent. Kurt Russell felt almost like a parody, his character stuck out like a sore thumb, but he was still very likeable. The story was iffy, but it was still a pretty entertaining in an unorthodox, but good way.

Now to find something else for tonight!

What do you mean? Theres stores that carry what the streamings dont? All the blockbusters here closed. Or are you saying they should?

Kurt Russell *was* a parody! :lol:

I'm saying there's a really good (but short-term) business model for video stores right now... but I don't know of anyone (other than the most famous of the super-indies) that're actually doing this.

• Like 1

Tarantino has got to be one of the biggest cinephile in the world. I am pretty sure there are a lot of movies Tarantino has seen that aren t into letterboxd...

He has seen pretty much everything and no it s not a figure of speach, his film knowledge is infinite.

When Inglorious Basterds was released, there were a lot of interviews of Melanie Laurent in the french media and she got asked a lot of questions about QT and of course she spoke about how his life was all and only about movies.

Even when he shoots a film, he sees at least two movies a day, he always have a device that allows him to see movies.

And on week ends, he spends much of his time watching movies.

Laurent was invinted to one of these films binges and she said she learned a lot from QT about the history of film.

Scorcese is also known for being a maniacal cinephile.

A cameron anecdocte

In the early 90 s, James Cameron and Guillermo del Toro were very good friends, still are, and they used to go to this video store to buy Laserdiscs ( google it if you don t know what it is).

Del Toro couldn t stop laughing while telling the anecdocte.

Basically, Del Toro bought 4 or 5 laserdiscs but Cameron, each time they went to this store bough around 200 laserdiscs.

He was buying everything : current movies, old classics, imports from all over the world ... He had never enough.

• Like 1

What I was trying to say with my Tarantino- Scorcese- Cameron blurb is that, as time passes on, there are more and more films and seeing everything, even the classics of each era back to the Lumieres, is pretty much an impossible task.

• Like 1

Jandrew! REPO MAN! From 1984. It's on Amazon Instant Video.

I got excited but saw they dont have it available for stream, just rent. I dont want to pay for anything just yet, but Ill add that to the list, but heres a good one to end the night...

Blade Runner?