Jandrew

Back To the Past: Jandrew Gets Cultured. Maltese Falcon, Arsenic, Blair Witch, etc.

Man, the Rocketeer was fun as hell! It started off like it was gonna be another Secondhand Lions (god that movie almost bored me to tears), but it picked up very fast. Once it got to the the scene at the airshow and he first put on the suit, the movie really took off and didnt let off the gas, no pun intended. The acting seemed pretty good, there was good chemistry all around.

Yeah the story had some issues, but the movie is just so much fun. I really enjoyed the period setting, the humor, and there was more action that I thought this really shocked me as a PG, not really sure how it got that rating, but it doesnt matter. And boy was Jennifer Connelly bouncy. The effects didnt look too terrible for 1991 either.

Really refreshing to see a movie like this from Disney, versus the crap they put out now. And if this is a superhero mivie, then it was better than most of that crap out thats now too. This movie was better than alot of crap. Definately keeping Rocketeer in my list.

• Like 5

Rocketeer is boss. You watch it and you understand exactly why Joe Johnston was tapped for the first Captain America. (I saw Rocketeer first, and CA1 was actually the first Marvel movie I saw, specifically because it was the director of The Rocketeer doing a WWII Cap movie.)

And I haven't seen The Aviator, but if/when I do, I don't think DiCaprio will change my opinion that Terry O'Quinn gave the best portrayal of "younger and not yet completely insane" Howard Hughes ever committed to film.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 6

Rocketeer was a time when Jennifer Connely was the hottest thing in Hollywood.

And yes, Joe Johnston is talented, the most high profile director coming off of ILM.

I read about Rocketeer on Wiki and saw ILM was involved and I KNEW youd come in here and say something about them. :lol:

• Like 2

It's been a long time since I've seen Rocketeer, I remember thinking it was okay. I feel I may like it more with a re-watch though. I love Joe Johnston, I thought "October Sky" was great and "First Avenger" is probably the most underrated film in the MCU. and "Honey I Shrunk The Kids" is a childhood treasure. 

Edited by Kalo

Joe Johnston is hit or miss to me. Love CA:TFA & Rocketeer, but I absolutely hate Jurassic Park 3 & The Pagemaster. The rest of his movies are average.

I haven't seen The Pagemaster in forever! so I really can't say what I thought of it. and I thought Jurassic Part 2 was pretty bad. so I couldn't even bring myself to watch the third one.

Edited by Kalo

I haven't seen The Pagemaster in forever! so I really can't say what I thought of it. and I thought Jurassic Part 2 was pretty bad. so I couldn't even bring myself to watch the third one.

I am one of the few people on here who think JP2 is near great, but JP 3 is one of my least favorite blockbusters ever.

Edited by Empire Out
  • Like 1

Just watched Juice, with Omar Epps and Tupac. Good ass movie, very realistic. Pac's acting was really good, alot better than 99% of other rapper-actors. The movie started off with a Spike Lee DTRT type vibe and transitioned seamlessly into a Boyz N D Hood/Menace II Society type. The characters were well developed, I really felt for them, and there were no dragging moments. Writing and directing was also really solid.

If you havent seen Juice, do it. Tele IDK if you have, but seriously yall give it a watch. Its not BET-esque, its real no-nonsense.

• Like 3

"BET-esque"? :lol:

Ya know, how some black films are made cheap and corny and without much effort so they can just squeeze it into the BET midday lineup. I hate that. Juice is not that. Real effort and passion was put into the film.

• Like 2

Ya know, how some black films are made cheap and corny and without much effort so they can just squeeze it into the BET midday lineup. I hate that. Juice is not that. Real effort and passion was put into the film.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I used to watch my good share of BET & those types of films would play on there quite often. :lol:

• Like 1

Welp. Didnt feel like drinking tonight, so after the gf fell asleep I decided to finally witness TMNT 2. The one from 1991.

I shouldve drank.

I haven't seen TMNT 2. I loved the first though. heard the second wasn't very good.