Jandrew

Back To the Past: Jandrew Gets Cultured. Maltese Falcon, Arsenic, Blair Witch, etc.

Oh I cant do that, would drive my OCD crazy. I had to make sure I logged every single film my eyes have seen. Even the Disney Channel ones. Thats one thing about Letterboxd, I cant remember everything so I feel I forget some titles, and it drives me nuts. I feel im forgetti a Bruce Lee or too, and I dont remember which Air Bud I suffered through as a kid. Messes with me haha.

same here, it drives my crazy when see different numbers of watched movies in my Letterboxd, IMDB account or/and Excel file.

@Talisman, Ive seen Pyscho, Rear Window, and Vertigo, but Ill give the others a look. Thanks!

you should watch Rope and I Confess, both excellent Hitchcock films
  • Like 2

I thought you were watching all of them. I've heard good things about "Machete Order", 4 5 2 3 6, so you could try that.

ive seen the prequels already. i may give the preqs another go but im focused on the first 3 atm.

• Like 1

So, that was Star Wars? That's what yall have all hyped? What millions of people have hyped? That movie is why I still can't go through Walmart without seeing merchandise everywhere, and why Disney bought the franchise? Jurassic Park, Raiders, Jaws, Lion King I understand, but Star Wars?

Now I see why.

I'll go ahead and get the "negatives" out of the way. Mark Hamill wasn't doing it for me. His acting felt more rigid than C3PO's movement. Hopefully this changes (don't tell me). Darth Vader also wasn't as menacing as I thought he was going to be, I wanted to see him kick more ass and take names rather just give orders. I'm sure he'll do that in later movies (don't tell me), but as for this one, while he wasn't weak, I can tell his full potential wasn't yet shown. Some plot points also felt a tad rushed, like when Luke discovered his aunt and uncle was a KFC two piece special. You didn't really get any emotion or remorse, it was more like "yeah, well theyre dead now so I guess I can go with you, its good."

But other than that...like Beyonce...flawless. The special effects alone...1977? That came out in NINETEEN SEVENTY-SEVEN!? Lucas was so far ahead of his time, if he stopped and waited on it to catch up, he'd die of old age before time finally got there. Those special effects were just so good, I can't put it in words. Take about appreciation for your work, and innovation and imagination beyond belief.

The world building was also well done. For a first movie, there was a lot of exploration, places, and people: Vader, Han Solo, Princess Leia, Luke Skywalker, C3PO, R2D2, Alderaan, Death Star, Chewy, the Rebels, Storm Troopers, Galactic Empire, jedi, Obi Wan Kenobi Bryant, Jawa, TIE fighters, etc, etc, etc. There was a lot going on in this movie. Yet, there was no over-stuffing, no confusion, no sense of the ambition being too big for its own good (cough Dune cough). I know how large the SWU is so I was afraid I was going to get lost on some things. Nope, I understand everything pretty clearly. The scope was grand, but not too out there to the point of losing focus.

The writing wasnt masterful, but it was well done, leagues above the prequels of course. And there was more humor than I was expecting. RD2D does nothing but boop and beep, yet manages to almost steal every scene hes in. I had a lot of fun with C3PO too, I like his attitude. I did not know they were going to be featured so much, or were going to the main plot devices. The rest of the cast and characters were great as well, can't way to see where their stories go next. I didn't like Hamill's acting, but I liked the character of Luke.

The final fight was pretty thrilling. Lol at Red 6. All the action was great to be honest. The Death Star was as original of a setting as you can think of. And I'm guessing that score is gonna end up #1 on Numbers' list. "Binary Sunset" is one of the best things I've heard, I'm not kidding, and of course we know how iconic the theme is. Priceless score. I also loved the use of the wipes. More movies need to use wipes. Stop being lazy and cutting to the next scene, use wipes, fades, swishes, match cuts, etc. And thank you jesus and Lucas for letting the run time be a tad over 2 hours. Too many of those older movies are too damn long for no reason, but New Hope was just right. There were no dragging bits.

So, as you can see, the positives clearly outweigh the negatives here. I see why this movie is probably the most iconic/pop cultural, and one of the most beloved movies of all time, and its well deserved. 

A, A, A, A, A.., it goes on.

Giving the Ps3 a rest, then on to Empire.

Ps, I will say, I wasn't too hyped for Star Wars 7, but this movie just raised my hype levels a good bit for Star Wars 7.

• Like 15