Jandrew

Back To the Past: Jandrew Gets Cultured. Maltese Falcon, Arsenic, Blair Witch, etc.

" I love You"

" I know"

Cryo machine freezes Han.

And I cry like a little girl every time ...

And knowing that line is directly from Harrison Ford, who thoughts that originally scripted 'I love you too' was out of character for Han Solo makes that scene even better.

• Like 2

Interesting reviews Jandrew.   Like you said, kinda different that you didn't say a lot about Ford.  The birth of one of the great stars was ANH.  C3PO does have a much bigger role than some might think.   He managed to add the comic relief without falling over into silly.    So different than Jar Jar.

I couldn't help thinking about AoU when you were describing how much was going on without it feeling like "too much".   A lot of movies are trying to pack a lot of narrative into movies.   Maybe it's a "give the audience their money's worth" thing?   But the ability to make it all seem like it fits with no frenetic pace really helps the movie experience.

Interesting. I like hearing stories from people who saw SW in theaters. What was impressive about the scene? The size of the Destroyer?

Yep....it just....kept....coming.   It was really a unique shot at the time.   If Lucas came up with that, it might be high on his list of accomplishments.

Great that you loved, but you do realize, that you watched few times enchanced verison, right?

That looks mostly like the shots were cleaned up.   (Some of them do look great)

Interesting. I like hearing stories from people who saw SW in theaters. What was impressive about the scene? The size of the Destroyer?

I had never seen anything like it in the theater.   

I was a big SciFi reader and opening scene immediately put me in Star Wars world and kept me there.  It was like the stories I had been reading for years had come to life.

• Like 1

The opening Star Destroyer was simply stunning. You see this neat spaceship up in space, and then you see this giant spaceship chasing it. And then you realize that it is really really gigantic. And then holy crap it's still coming!!

Just an amazing opening shot.

And yeah, as the video shows, the effects have been cleaned up over the years, but of course what we originally got back in 1977 was easily the most revolutionary effects ever.

• Like 1

Also, Star Wars IS sound. You had The combination of Williams s genius and Ben Burt s genius.

The sound design of Star Wars, have you counted how many ORIGINAL sounds were created to give life to Lucas world building, those sounds are now engraved in worldwide subcounscious : all the robots voices R2, laser sounds, the light saber sound, every engine sound of every machine, spaceship, chewie, darth vador s breath etc etc etc

Try to look at Star Wars without sound ...

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

Gremlins was good. Started to drag, but it was clever. Not sure how itll hold up on rewatch, but with an inital watch it was good. LMAO at Mrs. Teegle going airbourne.

May fit something else in tonight. On vacay now, but its raining, but we may watch something newer, idk, ill see. As soon as I know, itll be in the title.

1984 was a quality year.

• Like 1

HANEKE HANEKE HANEKE

Let's start him off with someonemore accessible, like Kurosawa.

Then we slowly ramp it up to Tartokovsky and Von Trier.

Edited by Numbers of Westeros

Bourne Identity was awesome! I love how they kept everything grounded and it didn't go over the top. Matt Damon was solid and the girl was pretty good too. Can't wait to see how the series develops. I will say the shaky cam gave it a little bit of an amateur feel, but the slow burn direction style balanced it. Also me and Bourne have the same initials so that's a plus. Also I really liked that song they played during the Paris chase.

I want to see the second immediately, but we're going out and turning up tonight so if I'm not too drunk and tired we'll watch it tonight. But for now we're finally gonna finally give Taxi Driver a go before we do some grillin'.

• Like 2

If you had issue with the shaky cam in Identity, just wait until the next two

I don't even remember shaky cam in Identity lol

It wasnt an issue. Just made the cinematog feel a tad cheaper, but the color palette and coordination of the shots made up for it.

• Like 1

Sorry guys, was about 15 minutes into Taxi Driver and got a pretty bad headache. Had to quit and go nap. Then after that we ate and went out, so I didnt get watch either, but Ill get back on it ASAP rocky.