Asyulus

Rate the Hunger Games Movies

• Community Manager

1) Catching Fire (A-)

2) Mockinjay Part 2 (B)

3) Mockinjay Part 1 (B)

4) The Hunger Games (B-) [although when I first saw it, I gave it a much higher grade, my opinion of it has fallen over the years]

Just watched Catching Fire, my rankings so far.

The Hunger Games1: 70%

The Hunger Games Catching Fire: 60%

The Hunger Games actually had tension in it which is what makes the first one better than the second. The second's ending also was bad as a stand alone film, I understand it's meant to be a part of a series of films but it has to still be a full film. Honestly the second one felt like 2/3'rds of a film.

Also something I didn't understand was how they had a full field in the 75th Quarter Quell when it was made up from victors only, there were only 59 victors to choose from.

Edited by IronJimbo
wording

On 12/30/2015 at 4:13 PM, IronJimbo said:

Just watched Catching Fire, my rankings so far.

The Hunger Games1: 70%

The Hunger Games Catching Fire: 60%

The Hunger Games actually had tension in it which is what makes the first one better than the second. The second's ending also was bad as a stand alone film, I understand it's meant to be a part of a series of films but it has to still be a full film. Honestly the second one felt like 2/3'rds of a film.

Also something I didn't understand was how they had a full field in the 75th Quarter Quell when it was made up from victors only, there were only 59 victors to choose from.

200.gif

........You mean to say that Catching Fire had no tension? Tf?

A cliffhanger as good as that doesn't make it a bad stand alone film. "There is no District 12" doesn't decrease it's quality of it being a "full film".

What? You don't understand how they got 24 tributes out of 59 victors? Subtract them, sweetie. 59-24 is 35.

Edited by angeldelmito

2 minutes ago, angeldelmito said:

........You mean to say that Catching Fire had no tension? Tf?

A cliffhanger as good as that doesn't make it a bad stand alone film. "There is no District 12" doesn't decrease it's quality of it being a "full film".

2/3 of a film, huh. That's a pretty negative way of saying that it left you wanting more and more.

What? You don't understand how they got 24 tributes out of 59 victors? Subtract them, sweetie. 59-24 is 35.

Yeah I wasn't scared for the characters at all in Catching fire and it ended without really much happening. I honestly was suprised when it the credits rolled as I though this no way could be the ending.

You're condesending the wrong person about the maths.

District 1-12 all have 2 slots each so 24 total.

District 1,2 and 4 are said to produce 50% of the victors.

Lets be nice and say 1,2 and 4 get 29 of the victors. That leaves 30 victors to fill 18 slots (9 districts).

What are the chances every single position being filled? They're going to be repeat winnings. I'll even be nice and assume male and females have the same surival rate. I did the maths and it's less than a 1% chance. It's a massive oversite by the author and is honestly lazy, why would a person who cares so little about numbers make a book about a game.

Just now, IronJimbo said:

Yeah I wasn't scared for the characters at all in Catching fire and it ended without really much happening. I honestly was suprised when it the credits rolled as I though this no way could be the ending.

You're condesending the wrong person about the maths.

District 1-12 all have 2 slots each so 24 total.

District 1,2 and 4 are said to produce 50% of the victors.

Lets be nice and say 1,2 and 4 get 29 of the victors. That leaves 30 victors to fill 18 slots (9 districts).

What are the chances every single position being filled? They're going to be repeat winnings. I'll even be nice and assume male and females have the same surival rate. I did the maths and it's less than a 1% chance. It's a massive oversite by the author and is honestly lazy, why would a person who cares so little about numbers make a book about a game.

Well, ok that's you. Anyways,

You're getting your information from the wrong websites. I don't know where you got that shit from but 1,2 and 4 were never said to have produced 50% of the victors.

Are you seriously betting CHANCES on the victors of the Hunger Games? ANYONE can win. Ranging from weakest to strongest, male or female, it doesn't matter. Each and every tribute will have the same odds as the other. The only thing that increases your odds would be sponsors or strategy. Don't fight with me on this.

75 victors, 59 left alive for the 75th Hunger Games. Let's say that 15 of those victors came from the Career districts, (in the book it states that there was one victor from 12 before Haymitch but he died). 59-3 would be 56 for 11 districts. u know what lemme pull out the receipts 

Victors from 4: 6

image65.jpg

Victors from 1: 11

image99.jpg?w=213&h=300

Victors from 2: 11

image70.jpg?w=223&h=300

Alright, Let's say 3 victors from D4, and 6 victors from D1 and D2 have all died. That would leave 13 victors present for the Career districts. 56-13 is 43 for 8 of the other districts. Based off of this data, I'm pretty sure there's a chance of all 24 positions being filled for the 3rd Quarter Quell. Thanks!

soraya-leaving-o.gif

Edited by angeldelmito

16 minutes ago, angeldelmito said:

Well, ok that's you. Anyways,

You're getting your information from the wrong websites. I don't know where you got that shit from but 1,2 and 4 were never said to have produced 50% of the victors.

Are you seriously betting CHANCES on the victors of the Hunger Games? ANYONE can win. Ranging from weakest to strongest, male or female, it doesn't matter. Each and every tribute will have the same odds as the other. The only thing that increases your odds would be sponsors or strategy. Don't fight with me on this.

75 victors, 59 left alive for the 75th Hunger Games. Let's say that 15 of those victors came from the Career districts, (in the book it states that there was one victor from 12 before Haymitch but he died). 59-3 would be 56 for 11 districts. u know what lemme pull out the receipts 

Victors from 4: 6

Victors from 1: 11

Victors from 2: 11

Alright, Let's say 3 victors from D4, and 6 victors from D1 and D2 have all died. That would leave 13 victors present for the Career districts. 56-13 is 43 for 8 of the other districts. Based off of this data, I'm pretty sure there's a chance of all 24 positions being filled for the 3rd Quarter Quell. Thanks!

Ohhh thanks for this information, very nice. Not entirely sure if your numbers are correct but lets assume they are.

43 into 18 slots still leaves a 8.3% of filling everyslot. Still an oversight.

Edited by IronJimbo

Ohhh thanks for this information, very nice. Not entirely sure if your numbers are correct but lets assume they are.

43 into 18 slots still leaves a 8.3% of filling everyslot. Still an oversight.

....You're doing your math wrong. 43 tributes into *16 (not 18) slots means that there's an 100% for the slots to be filled. Subtraction, dear. Not division.

Here, honey. The list of all the victors: https://auric44.wordpress.com/2014/07/21/the-hunger-games-victors-list-mockingjay-part-1-film/

(I would subtract one from D2 and add it on to D12. In the film, they only put 3 victors on D12's pillar.)

Everything falls into place. There were enough tributes in each district for the Quell. 

....You're doing your math wrong. 43 tributes into *16 (not 18) slots means that there's an 100% for the slots to be filled. Subtraction, dear. Not division.

Here, honey. The list of all the victors: https://auric44.wordpress.com/2014/07/21/the-hunger-games-victors-list-mockingjay-part-1-film/

(I would subtract one from D2 and add it on to D12. In the film, they only put 3 victors on D12's pillar.)

Everything falls into place. There were enough tributes in each district for the Quell. 

No you don't understand what I'm trying to say at all. I'm saying if that even if each gender and district had the same chance of victory, there will be an extremely low chance of it playing out the way the author made it. It's too lucky that there managed to be 1 male and 1 female alive from each 12 districts at the time of 75th quell. It list doesn't matter at all, all the list says to me is that he wasn't thought through. The author doesn't understand how probabilties work.

No you don't understand what I'm trying to say at all. I'm saying if that even if each gender and district had the same chance of victory, there will be an extremely low chance of it playing out the way the author made it. It's too lucky that there managed to be 1 male and 1 female alive from each 12 districts at the time of 75th quell. It list doesn't matter at all, all the list says to me is that he wasn't thought through. The author doesn't understand how probabilties work.

You don't understand how stupid you sound right now. It's not about luck. Like I said, anyone can win the Hunger Games. 

The list does matter, because it proves that in the HG universe, there were a legitimate amount of victors in each district with at least one male and one female tribute. It proved that the Quell worked. How the fuck is that not thought through? You don't understand that PROBABILITIES DON'T FUCKING MATTER in the games. Shit, an example is: Annie Cresta, the only reason she won her games is because an earthquake broke a dam and flooded the entire arena. Having grown up in District 4, Annie survived by being the best swimmer. (Her district partner was beheaded in the games.)  Anything can happen in the games. So I don't understand why its so hard for you to realize that 1 male and 1 female tribute from each district is an impossibility.

Edited by angeldelmito

5 minutes ago, angeldelmito said:

You don't understand how stupid you sound right now. It's not about luck. Like I said, anyone can win the Hunger Games. 

The list does matter, because it proves that in the HG universe, there were a legitimate amount of victors in each district with at least one male and one female tribute. It proved that the Quell worked. How the fuck is that not thought through? You don't understand that PROBABILITIES DON'T FUCKING MATTER in the games. Shit, an example is: Annie Cresta, the only reason she won her games is because an earthquake broke a dam and flooded the entire arena. Having grown up in District 4, Annie survived by being the best swimmer. Anything can happen in the games. So I don't understand why its so hard for you to realize that 1 male and 1 female tribute from each district is an impossibility.

You don't understand anything to do with chance/probabilities.

You say luck doesn't mean a thing then you give an example of Annie Cresta who won due to luck.

I'll to explain it as simply as I can, lets say everyone has the same chance of winning including the career districts.

Each Victor has 50% chance of being male, and has 1/12 chance of being in each district.

Each Victor has 24 possible outcomes, all with 4.17% chance.

At the 75th Quell we have 56 Victors alive (Forget about existing characters), what are the chances that we have ATLEAST 1 male and 1 female for each district?

We have a 6.88% of filling all 24 slots for the event.

31 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

You don't understand anything to do with chance/probabilities.

You say luck doesn't mean a thing then you give an example of Annie Cresta who won due to luck.

I'll to explain it as simply as I can, lets say everyone has the same chance of winning including the career districts.

Each Victor has 50% chance of being male, and has 1/12 chance of being in each district.

Each Victor has 24 possible outcomes, all with 4.17% chance.

At the 75th Quell we have 56 Victors alive (Forget about existing characters), what are the chances that we have ATLEAST 1 male and 1 female for each district?

We have a 6.88% of filling all 24 slots for the event.

Why are you still arguing with me? Why do you keep on bringing probability and outcomes into this shit when they're irrelevant? The list showed you all of the victors, so end of conversation. There were enough victors in each district in order to hold the 24 spots. 

Yikes, I guess I worded my argument wrong then. It does have to deal with luck, but its irrelevant because its uncontrollable and can't be predicted. 

What relevance do those numbers have to this conversation? Water is wet. Fire is hot. Yes, I know that there are 50% of males and females in each game. The topic was whether or not they could scavenge 12 females and 12 males from each district. The canon list of all the victors concluded the discussion, because it showed that yes, it was entirely possible for them to have done so.

"We have a 6.88% of filling all 24 slots for the event." 

See, this would be relevant maybe during the 1st Hunger Games, or maybe even before THG started. But we already have the list of all of the current victors. All of your arguments are irrelevant, because they've already been disproved.

You-heard-right-GIF.gif

Edited by angeldelmito

17 hours ago, angeldelmito said:

The canon list of all the victors concluded the discussion, because it showed that yes, it was entirely possible for them to have done so.

Being canon doesn't mean it's not stupid. If I wrote a book and had 3 lottery winners all by chance live in the same village, it wouldn't mean it's not utterly improbable.

If everything in her world is so equal than we can assume everyone has an equal chance of winning.

We have 24 possible victors types and 56 victors.

To find out the chance that there atleast 1 of each type of victor, we need to find the number of possible outcomes where atleast every victor type is taken.

Sum[ (-1) ^k Binomial [24, k] (24 - k) ^56, {k, 0, 24}] gives 13442153227919038341767499335878161804472780884119993105301357891826483200000 possible outcomes. If we divide this number by the total possible outcomes (25^56) we get 0.0686, or 6.86%.

6.86% chance of a victor from every one of the 24 possible victor types.

If you don't believe the maths I can simulate it for you on excel by randomly picking a district and gender 56 times, then repeating this millions of times to see how many times it's a full line-up.

Edited by IronJimbo

4 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Being canon doesn't mean it's not stupid. If I wrote a book and had 3 lottery winners all by chance live in the same village, it wouldn't mean it's not utterly improbable.

If everything in her world is so equal than we can assume everyone has an equal chance of winning.

We have 24 possible victors types and 56 victors.

To find out the chance that there atleast 1 of each type of victor, we need to find the number of possible outcomes where atleast every victor type is taken.

Sum[ (-1) ^k Binomial [24, k] (24 - k) ^56, {k, 0, 24}] gives 13442153227919038341767499335878161804472780884119993105301357891826483200000 possible outcomes. If we divide this number by the total possible outcomes (25^56) we get 0.0686, or 6.86%.

6.86% chance of a victor from every one of the 24 possible victor types.

If you don't believe the maths I can simulate it for you on excel by randomly picking a district and gender 56 times, then repeating this millions of times to see how many times it's a full line-up.

Call it whatever you want, but by your reason anything having to deal with luck in life is "stupid". 

"If I wrote a book and had 3 lottery winners all by chance live in the same village, it wouldn't mean it's not utterly improbable."

Ok, and? You wrote it that way, so it is what it is. All forms of probability and chance have been disproven because it already happened. It doesn't fucking matter what "could have been". What was written is what happened. So if against all odds, 3 lottery winners all happened to live in the same village, so be it! Fuck the probability. It was written that way, so that's what it shall be. It may be "improbable", but it most certainly isn't fucking impossible. Get that through your head.

"If everything in her world is so equal than we can assume everyone has an equal chance of winning."

Unless they have a better strategy than others, or sponsors help them, they're in a team vs alone, etc. In terms of physical features, yes they have an equal chance of winning.

The rest of your comment is utterly useless to the conversation because, as I've told you before, it DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER. Yes, there may be a 6.86% chance of them filling it up, but guess what you dip? It's not fucking zero percent. So it's possible, and the list of the victors showed what happened. So shut the fuck up.

200.gif

Edited by angeldelmito

The rest of your comment is utterly useless to the conversation because, as I've told you before, it DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER. Yes, there may be a 6.86% chance of them filling it up, but guess what you dip? It's not fucking zero percent. So it's possible, and the list showed that it became possible, so shut the fuck up.

Glad you finally understand.

Glad you finally understand.

That wasn't what the conversation was about though? You said that it didn't make sense how there could be a full field of victors for the Quell when there were 59 victors to choose from, did you not?