Olive

Weekend Estimates: Insurgent 54m | Cinderella $34.5m pg 29

The Divergent sequel collected $12.3M globally from its domestic Thursday preview and overseas openings.  Stateside, The Divergent Series: Insurgent grossed an estimated $4.1M last night. That figure will be rolled into Friday’s haul. Overseas, the screen adaptation of the Veronica Roth novel minted $8.2M through yesterday.  Here’s the highlights:

• Brazil opening day box office up 135%
  • France up 127%
  • Netherlands up 78%
  • Belgium up 54%
  • Italy up 23%
  • Malaysia up 116%
  • New Zealand up 43%
  • Philippines up 38%

Top Opening Day result (inclg. previews):

• France $1.1M
  • Like 3

Divergent opened with $4.9M on Thursday on the way to $54.6M for the weekend. If Insurgent followed that same multiplier, it would finish the weekend with just $46M. I'm assuming the same multiplier does not necessarily apply, though...?

$46m would be awful.

Scott over at Forbes says not to go thinking that number would be bad. Considering Divergent wasn't that big a smash and the reception, across the board, has been lukewarm at best, an opening weekend between $45-50M, even though it's well under prediction, wouldn't be too bad at all.

I love how he spins stuff.

Mockingjay's Thursday number accounted for a smaller portion of its first weekend gross than CF. Maybe the same could be said here but I would imagine it would only result in Insurgent making about the same as Divergent OW. I guess we'll see what happens.

Divergent opened with $4.9M on Thursday on the way to $54.6M for the weekend. If Insurgent followed that same multiplier, it would finish the weekend with just $46M. I'm assuming the same multiplier does not necessarily apply, though...?

I would naturally think the sequel would be more frontloaded, but that's certainly not a rule as often (e.g. Hunger Games) it doesn't apply.