babz06

A Star is Born | 5th October, 2018 | Warner Bros | Bradley Cooper directing, Lady Gaga cast as lead.

I'm looking forward to the movie, but especially excited for the soundtrack. Shallow is terrific, and what we hear of Maybe It's Time from Bradley Cooper in the trailer sounds great too - looking forward to hearing the whole song.

Lady Gaga also teased the ballad Is That Alright? which sounds beautiful:

Bring on the movie and bring on the full soundtrack.

Peace,

Mike

On 9/23/2018 at 9:52 PM, La Binoche said:

Much better reviews than I expected. Poor Britney Spears 

I don't see Britney as someone who would care for this. I don't want to be mean, but she doesn't seem like a very smart and ambitious person to me.

Madonna and Beyoncé for sure are pissed, tho.

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

I don't see Britney as someone who would care for this. I don't want to be mean, but she doesn't seem like a very smart and ambitious person to me.

She was. She really was. Back in the 00s there was no entertainer that even came to close to her on stage.

I saw her a few weeks ago in London at the O2 and it seemed like she was only there cause of her contract and the money. All passion is gone. A totally different person. 

Beyoncé will have her year in 2019 with "Lion King" and her Oscar for the best song at the Academy Awards 2020. 

But yeah, I think Madonna doesn't like GaGa. Never did. Even dissed her in one of her tracks (well, Nicki Minaj did it, but it was on Madonna's album).

I don't understand how one could not like Lady GaGa. She may have had very "special" times, like the uber crazy "Artpop!" era but she is so incredibly talented. When she sang the national anthem at the NFL Super Bowl 2016 even I had goosebumps. And I am not even American. That was on point. Perfect. I can not imagine of doing it better.

The new song "Shallow" is mature, an evolution for her and still catchy. I really hope the movie is a big success.

• Like 1

I loved Britney a few weeks ago in Glasgow. But you know what to expect by now.

Gaga is great too, I’ve seen her live once. Her last few albums have been ropey at best. Hoping this is a full return to peak form. 

I’ll also be contributing to the US box office instead of the U.K. currently headed to Orlando. 

41 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Gaga is great too, I’ve seen her live once. Her last few albums have been ropey at best. Hoping this is a full return to peak form. 

Honestly, her last album- better thing what she ever made. I never like all this mainstream pop-chart shit and I'm glad to see when artist like Gaga does (mostly) more deeper and personal work.

Just IMHO.

Edited by KeepItU25071906

I like all of Gaga's Albums to varying degrees. She mostly stopped doing mainstream music and that was fine with me. 

Love her music or hate it she is still one of the most talented popstars of her era.  Unlike Katy Perry and others she can actually sing live, is involved with writing songs and can play piano. Now she's actually getting good to great notices and Oscar buzz for her very first lead role. I love going back in this thread and reading people talk shit about her casting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Madonna and Beyoncé for sure are pissed, tho.

Britney neither has the vocal nor acting ability to do this. I'm sure she knows that lol.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The budget is $36m which is low considering the talent involved, I would have thought it would be nearer $50-60m.

34M below the line in California:

http://film.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/1.0-Website-Approved-Projects-List-Online-12.11.17.pdf

2016-2017 A Star is Born WB Studio Enterprises Inc. Feature Film Non-Indie 45 2725 135 39 $ 34,158,000 $ 7,076,000

Around 27M after the tax credit, that would leave only $9M for all the non qualified expenditure, the UK shoot, maybe the story rights aspect of it is not showing because the producer owning it was ok with just getting big first dollars gross, but yes that is quite a low budget if it is not massively massaged down by the press.

To give what one could have thought relevant low budget studio movie example, Brad Pitt Moneyball:

http://film.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/1.0-Website-Approved-Projects-List-Online-12.11.17.pdf

29M qualified cost in California, 24M after the tax credit, total net budget was 55M

Same for Social Network, 24M in qualified cost in California, 19M net of the tax credit, total net budget 44M.

I would have expected 50% of the cost of a movie like this to be story right and other above the line type for a 50m-60m budget also. If this is not the case and that rumored budget is close to true, that do show how much they are squeezing the budgets versus has recently has 2010. Or the industry got better at shifting all is cost into what can pass as qualified cost to the tax credit over time.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

34M below the line in California:

2016-2017 A Star is Born WB Studio Enterprises Inc. Feature Film Non-Indie 45 2725 135 39 $ 34,158,000 $ 7,076,000

Around 27M after the tax credit, that would leave only $9M for all the non qualified expenditure, the UK shoot, maybe the story rights aspect of it is not showing because the producer owning it was ok with just getting big first dollars gross, but yes that is quite a low budget if it is not massively massaged down by the press.

To give an example Moneyball:

29M qualified cost in california, 24M after the tax credit, total net budget was 55M

Same for Social Network, 24M in qualified cost in california, 19M net of the tax credit, total net budget 44M.

I would have expected 50% of the cost of a movie like this to be story right and other above the line type for a 55m budget also. If this is not the case and that rumored budget is close to true, that do show how much they are squeezing the budgets versus has recently has 2010.

WB owns ASIB so they wouldn't be paying story rights although I think they originally had Jon Peters who produced the 1976 version as exec producer but he's not being credited for the new version. 

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

WB owns ASIB so they wouldn't be paying story rights although I think they originally had Jon Peters who produced the 1976 version as exec producer but he's not being credited for the new version

?

The story they went with is that they did not own it, they had to go through Jon Peters company, maybe they lied to downplay is involvement and they owned the story rights... but I doubt it.

But like I said, with the movie made by is company and him getting first dollar gross point, maybe he didn't charge much for the story rights.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1517451/companycredits?ref_=ttfc_ql_4

But he and is companies are very well credited for this movie

Production Companies

Produced by 

Bradley Cooper ... producer
Robert J. Dohrmann ... co-producer (as Bob Dohrmann)
Bill Gerber ... producer
Lynette Howell Taylor ... producer
Basil Iwanyk ... executive producer
Sue Kroll ... executive producer
Niija Kuykendall ... executive producer
Ravi D. Mehta ... executive producer
Heather Parry ... executive producer
Jon Peters ... producer (produced by)
Todd Phillips ... producer (produced by)
Michael Rapino ... executive producer
Courtenay Valenti ...

production executive

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

?

The story they went with is that they did not own it, they had to go through Jon Peters company, maybe they lied to downplay is involvement and they owned the story rights... but I doubt it.

But like I said, with the movie made by is company and him getting first dollar gross point, maybe he didn't charge much for the story rights.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1517451/companycredits?ref_=ttfc_ql_4

But he and is companies are very well credited for this movie

Production Companies

Produced by 

Bradley Cooper ... producer
Robert J. Dohrmann ... co-producer (as Bob Dohrmann)
Bill Gerber ... producer
Lynette Howell Taylor ... producer
Basil Iwanyk ... executive producer
Sue Kroll ... executive producer
Niija Kuykendall ... executive producer
Ravi D. Mehta ... executive producer
Heather Parry ... executive producer
Jon Peters ... producer (produced by)
Todd Phillips ... producer (produced by)
Michael Rapino ... executive producer
Courtenay Valenti ...

production executive

There's an article in Variety that mentioned Peters won't be recognized as a producer on ASIB which is probably why I thought he wouldn't be credited but WB say in the same article that he'll be credited due to his involvement in the 1976 version 

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/bradley-cooper-jon-peters-a-star-is-born-1202942307/