babz06

A Star is Born | 5th October, 2018 | Warner Bros | Bradley Cooper directing, Lady Gaga cast as lead.

3 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Probably not really a spoiler if it follows the ASIB formula but

Hide contents

Does Jackson die at the end?

Spoiler

Yes, he commits suicide in the garage while Ally is waiting for him at her last US concert. 

ASIB had nationwide previews yesterday. Our theatre was PACKED.

I hope it has big success. The soundtrack is awesome. Seriously, I can't decide which song I like most right now. 

As for the acting, Bradley Cooper was fine. Maybe not Oscar worthy fine but Reese Witherspoon and Emma stone have won for less, so I guess maybe with his previous multiple nominations in mind, he gets his Oscar this time. That's definitely the category he should root for as his directing is good but not as flawless as many critics say and the "Best picture" category will go to something more meaningful (whatever topic they choose this time).

Lady GaGa surprised me. She is like - WOW. It takes her a little to fully shed her Lady GaGa attitude but after 20 minutes or so she is 100% Ally. I liked her and her natural way to portray the character. Her voice is flawless indeed. Nuff said. She has the biggest voice of her generation. 

I hope she at least gets a nomination, but I don't think she will win. I think to many Academy members will still see her as "GaGa". That's why she lost a few years ago despite of having the best and meaningful song by far. 

It will be exciting to see which movie is #1 over the weekend. 

Totally disagree with the BCoop  was fine assessment.

To Me he is a true character actor, completely disapear into his parts and this was no exception.

Love how he plays with his voice, he sounded like Rocket a lot to me.

Both actors are so natural in this, their connection feels so real it s kinda amazing to watch.

I think I rarely saw a couple in love like that on screen, these two have such a unique glow when they are together, their charisma burns the celluloid.

Lady Gaga is amazing in this because BCoop is just as good, just a less showy part.

Didn't  know the story of the originals but damn 

spoilers, don't read

Spoiler

the last minute, no the last 15 seconds are Oh My God, that little moment when you see them creating the final song together while Gaga is belting it out, that final shot, an ending for the fucking ages, it got me me hard and my audience seemed pretty shook too !!!

Coop direction was so confident, the way music is captured is excellent and all the intimate scenes have a beautiful texture to them, very DOR-esque. (yup !)

Some moments are captured in a way that are quite magical.

He will have a great career as a director no doubt.

Looove the Zeppelinesque riff of BCoop opening tune, it rocks hard.

Legs and WOM are gonna be VERY interesting to watch for this because BCoop has made something quite special IMO.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

Just read a great piece in Variety that explains how *all the live music played and sung in this film was recorded live on set* -- no post-dubbing.  Even more impressive. 

https://variety.com/2018/artisans/production/bradley-cooper-lady-gaga-a-star-is-born-2-1202966079/

Edited by Macleod

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Starting to think this is gonna pull a $15M+ opening day based on how crazy it's selling around here. And I doubt it's gonna be frontloaded either with how well it's also selling for Saturday and Sunday.

I don't disagree. Think it's gonna be a mini-American Sniper in terms of the early Friday number being reported is gonna blow us all away, and then Sat/Sun will also be very, very strong.

Thinking 17 Friday, 50 weekend

The movie confirmed what I always thought about Gaga :

way too talented to be a pop star.

She could have been so much more than vomiting lame euro-dance with a Madonna on crack pop persona.

She s way above that crap vocally or musically, she could have been a Jazz diva, a female Elton John and everything in between.

But I guess she can pay her electric bills now.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

She could have been so much more than vomiting lame euro-dance with a Madonna on crack pop persona.

She s way above that crap vocally or musically, she could have been a Jazz diva, a female Elton John and everything in between.

She has a $100M Las Vegas deal <_<

46 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

her sell out pop song is one of the best tunes on the soundtrack.

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:55 PM, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

On the one hand,it didn't met my expectations but these were very high to begin with.The story was somewhat basic but Cooper's directing and final resolution more than make up for it.Gaga trully is phenomenal.Shallows is winning the oscar and -yeah-the moment the scene comes yoy get chills because you know at the moment how crucial the scene is for what precceded and what will follow and what is the scene itself(i know that i am not making lots of sense here but i can't word it any better).Cinematography and some other songs arw also grear.

Ending is fantastic and very emotional.Didn't cry but i felt it and that's a high praise for me.I wish Ally was a real person.

A problem you have is when the first version of this came out in 1937 the plot was fresh;but aside from the 2 previous remakes, we have seen so many movies that pretty much stole the story that it's hard to keep it fresh.

If you have not seen the previous versons, you should..the first and second at tleast. The Streisand version can safely be avoided , though.

3 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Lady Gaga has playes her career so clever tbh. She wouldn't have had 10 years If she just proceeded with the mainstream pop she started. Pop girls expire too soon.

Now she will be a respected persona for the rest of her life. She is absolutely winning in every aspect. 

I swear, she has Madonna as a career advisor........

I guess a lot of the young whippersnappers around here forget that in the 80's Madonna was just as outrageous as Gaga was,but when she passed 30 she cut out the stunts , begun doing standards from the Great Amereican Song Book and remade herself.

When GAGA did those duets with Tony Bennett last year, I knew  what Gaga was up to..and seems to have pulled off.

Edited by dudalb