babz06

A Star is Born | 5th October, 2018 | Warner Bros | Bradley Cooper directing, Lady Gaga cast as lead.

8 hours ago, Chaz said:

She just wrapped up a sold out stadium tour.

She's doing better than she was during the Artpop era, I'll give her that, but she's been on a slow decline for a long time, and the Super Bowl performance is the only thing that really helped her tour this year. Not to mention that she just announced a two year Vegas residency, which is where stars careers go to die.

3 minutes ago, Noodlebug said:

She's doing better than she was during the Artpop era, I'll give her that, but she's been on a slow decline for a long time, and the Super Bowl performance is the only thing that really helped her tour this year. Not to mention that she just announced a two year Vegas residency, which is where stars careers go to die.

That's not true about Vegas, Celine Dion and Britney have done very well with their residencies as has Elton John, Cher and Rod Stewart and it's very lucrative.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

That's not true about Vegas, Celine Dion and Britney have done very well with their residencies as has Elton John, Cher and Rod Stewart and it's very lucrative.

Hell, Springsteen is on Broadway until the end of June, and I don't think anyone would say his career is dead.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

All five of those stars are WAY past their prime, and lucrative doesn't always equal popular. A Vegas residency carries the stigma of a career in it's third act, and with Gaga, that stage is fast approaching. She has a loyal fanbase that can still fill an arena and maybe some stadiums in populated areas, but her days of being a massive touring force (2009-2013) are long gone. In that sense, Vegas is probably easier where she can stay in one place and always sell out the theater she's in.

Keep in mind I'm not blindly hating. I'm just a disillusioned fan whose been disappointed with most of her career decisions (and music) the past five years or so. 

Edited by Noodlebug

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Britney changed the game for Vegas residencies. His statement was true 3 years ago but since Britney, it’s become less true and more of current stars cashing in while still hot.

• Like 1

And since we're on a box office forum, here's the total gross for all her major tours. PSA = per show average

Monster Ball Tour (2009-2011) - $306.4M from 203 shows - $1.5M PSA

Born This Way Ball (2012-2013) - $183.9 from 98 shows - $1.87M PSA

ArtRave: The Artpop Ball (2014) - $83M from 79 shows - $1.05M PSA

Joanne World Tour (2017-2018) - $85.7M from 41 shows (so far) - $2.09M PSA

Her numbers are actually pretty good, artpop being the low point, with multiple shows not selling out. She's had decent press this year and more visibility, thanks to the Super Bowl. And her career isn't completely lost, but I fail to see how Vegas helps, since it takes her out of the global touring market for a couple years. Her core fanbase is there, and maybe that will be enough in the long run, but nobody else is checking for her, and I doubt this movie is going to get her the awards she thinks she will get.

As a side note, she's played less and less shows each tour, so that may be the sole reason as well. Nonetheless, it's not 2011 and she's not a hot commodity anymore, so I'm predicting this will flop.

Edited by Noodlebug

9 minutes ago, Noodlebug said:

All five of those stars are WAY past their prime, and lucrative doesn't always equal popular. A Vegas residency carries the stigma of a career in it's third act, and with Gaga, that stage is fast approaching. She has a loyal fanbase that can still fill an arena and maybe some stadiums in populated areas, but her days of being a massive touring force (2009-2013) are long gone. In that sense, Vegas is probably easier where she can stay in one place and always sell out the theater she's in.

Keep in mind I'm not blindly hating. I'm just a disillusioned fan whose been disappointed with most of her career decisions (and music) the past five years or so. 

Elton and Rod still tour alongside their residency, it's not always true that residency means career on the decline. 

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Britney changed the game for Vegas residencies. His statement was true 3 years ago but since Britney, it’s become less true and more of current stars cashing in while still hot.

Celine Dion is credited for why singers like Britney were able to be convinced to do Vegas. 

2 minutes ago, Noodlebug said:

And since we're on a box office forum, here's the total gross for all her major tours. PSA = per show average

Her numbers are actually pretty good, artpop being the low point, with multiple shows not selling out. She's had decent press this year and more visibility, thanks to the Super Bowl. And her career isn't completely lost, but I fail to see how Vegas helps, since it takes her out of the global touring market for a couple years. Her core fanbase is there, and maybe that will be enough in the long run, but nobody else is checking for her, and I doubt this movie is going to get her the awards she thinks she will get.

Variety says she's getting $100 million for 74 shows in Vegas. How can she say no to that? 

20 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Variety says she's getting $100 million for 74 shows in Vegas. How can she say no to that? 

I'm having trouble finding it at the moment, but there were multiple sources saying she'll probably only get around $400,000 per show, which only amounts to $29,600,000 for the whole tour before expenses. She'd have to gross nearly $1.2M per show to even reach that total, and a 5,500 capacity theater isn't going to get her there. Her recent tour will soon cross $100M, and there's no way she's taking all of that because of expenses, so how can this even hope to get there with less than half the attendance of her world tours? The numbers are very fishy, and were probably put out there by her PR team because it looks good and helps sell the tour.

Edited by Noodlebug

1 minute ago, RichWS said:

Noodlebug really wants you to know Gaga is washed up and this residency is a joke.

I argue a lot on pop music forums, so that's where that comes from. Aside from that, her star power is relevant to the success of this movie, so it's something that will come up and be debated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Noodlebug said:

Bruno Mars is certainly not dying.

On 12/29/2017 at 3:08 AM, Chaz said:

She just wrapped up a sold out stadium tour.

No, she did not. Only 6 of the tour's 59 dates are in stadiums, and all of them are in the US. Even then, she only played baseball stadiums, not football stadiums. 20,000+ less capacity. The tour also isn't done, the European leg was postponed to this year.

And FYI - her US dates only "sold out" because of scalpers hilariously misreading demand after her Super Bowl performance, swooping in and buying half of the tickets for each show. The venues were only full at show time because the scalpers were then forced to slaughter their prices to as low as $18 as each date approached. (The price cuts were the only reason some friends of mine down around Louisville even went to her show.)

Edited by PDC1987

On 12/29/2017 at 12:02 PM, grim22 said:

No, she did not, and she is not current. Britney's Vegas residency grossed $100 million, Celine had 2 Vegas residences gross $300 million. Britney has now had back to back studio albums fail to spawn a single Top 10 hit, and combined they didn't even sell 1 million globally.

3 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Whether or not this film bombs, Lady Gaga's impact on music is well recorded and her career is so very far from dying. 

Wrong, she's done. This is a mainstream pop star who has only had 1 Top 10 single, for 1 week, over the last 4+ years of a career that doesn't even hit hit year 10 until April. And she needed yet another week of being discounted to $.69 on US iTunes combined with a dubiously attained Super Bowl Half Time Show to achieve it.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2017 at 12:14 PM, Noodlebug said:

As a side note, she's played less and less shows each tour, so that may be the sole reason as well. Nonetheless, it's not 2011 and she's not a hot commodity anymore, so I'm predicting this will flop.

The Monster Ball Tour grossed $227 million. You are evidently lumping in the completely separate, mostly small venue, Fame Ball Tour.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PDC1987 said:

Wrong, she's done. This is a mainstream pop star who has only had 1 Top 10 single, for 1 week, over the last 4+ years of a career that doesn't even hit hit year 10 until April. And she needed yet another week of being discounted to $.69 on US iTunes combined with a dubiously attained Super Bowl Half Time Show to achieve it.

Regardless, she killed Madonna’s halftime show. ;)

• Haha 1