babz06

A Star is Born | 5th October, 2018 | Warner Bros | Bradley Cooper directing, Lady Gaga cast as lead.

40 minutes ago, Noodlebug said:

Both were good, but Madonna's was iconic.

I’m just teasing PDC. He always talks shit about female artists who aren’t Madonna.

But her halftime show was definitely forgettable and pretty terrible. Beyoncé came around the next year and cleansed our pallets. 

Edited by Chaz

23 hours ago, Chaz said:

Regardless, she killed Madonna’s halftime show. ;)

You little monsters can't get Madonna off your mind, can you?

And in what alternate universe? Gaga's costumes and staging were hideous, looked like a high school talent show concept. That rooftop intro was also completely prerecorded, she was never even on the roof. Total sham.

19 hours ago, Chaz said:

I’m just teasing PDC. He always talks shit about female artists who aren’t Madonna.

But her halftime show was definitely forgettable and pretty terrible. Beyoncé came around the next year and cleansed our pallets. 

Do I know you?

Madonna's show was brilliant and universally acclaimed, and Madonna has knowledge of art, fashion, film and history that Beyonce and her Tina Turner-lite performances can't touch.

16 hours ago, PDC1987 said:

Do I know you?

Madonna's show was brilliant and universally acclaimed, and Madonna has knowledge of art, fashion, film and history that Beyonce and her Tina Turner-lite performances can't touch.

Not really, but I’ve been on Pulse since 2003. I’ve seen you around.

I’m just teasing you. 😂 I don’t care how you feel about anyone. It won’t stop my enjoyment of them.

• Like 1

I'm guessing this is the reason why this got pushed back.

As Hollywood begins to navigate the #MeToo landscape, one of the first casualties appears to be big-screen erotica. In the wake of the Harvey Weinstein scandal, studios are steering clear of sex.

The Bradley Cooper-helmed A Star Is Born remake at Warner Bros. has morphed from steamy to something far more chaste, say insiders. The Hugh Hefner biopic that once was set up at Warner Bros. is all but dead — even without the now-disgraced Brett Ratner at the helm. ("What's going to happen to the poor girls when they go in for that audition?" asks Rae Dawn Chong, one of several actresses who came forward accusing Steven Seagal of sexually harassing her. "What carnage and sexual trauma?") And lit agents and managers, who typically have their finger on the pulse of what is in demand at the majors, are telling their clients, "Not now," when it comes to overtly sexual material. ("With this current climate, I don't think the appetite is ripe," says one.) Even the indies — long the bastion of edgy material — are getting skittish. A24 was poised to begin production in February on a $5 million James Franco-produced stripper/prostitute travelogue titled Zola Tells All(complete with a 15-year-old Russian prostitute), but it is currently described by an A24 spokesperson as "in development."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/how-metoo-movement-could-kill-some-sexy-hollywood-movies-1073212

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I don't get how any of the examples used - a High Hefner pic and a James Franco prostitute/stripper travelogue with a 15 yr old have to to with a Star Is Born and edits on how steamy it is.  It's a love story between two well above age consenting adults and it's already been filmed.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I don't get how any of the examples used - a High Hefner pic and a James Franco prostitute/stripper travelogue with a 15 yr old have to to with a Star Is Born and edits on how steamy it is.  It's a love story between two well above age consenting adults and it's already been filmed.

Sounds like Hollywood is just afraid of sex right now. Films like Fifty Shades of Grey or Magic Mike likely wouldn't have ever gotten the greenlight in today's environment.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think this should be very beneficial to film as a whole over the next few years. I never found and still do not find gratuitous sex scenes in film to be all that necessary. I think there's better ways to get themes of love and devotion across. Heck, there are better ways to handle sensuality in film other than throwing in a raunchy sex scene and calling it a day.

I think that over 90% of filmgoers will find themselves not missing the content, whether or not they even like those scenes that much.

For now... good riddance.

• Disbelief 1

27 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Sounds like Hollywood is just afraid of sex right now. Films like Fifty Shades of Grey or Magic Mike likely wouldn't have ever gotten the greenlight in today's environment.

Stupid and completely the wrong lesson learned.  It's not the on screen sex anyone objects to it's the off screen predatory and abusive behavior.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Stupid and completely the wrong lesson learned.

So, another day in Hollywood (remember that WB initially called off IT because the Poltergeist remake flopped and cited that it had a clown at the center of the marketing lmao).

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, slambros said:

I think this should be very beneficial to film as a whole over the next few years. I never found and still do not find gratuitous sex scenes in film to be all that necessary. I think there's better ways to get themes of love and devotion across. Heck, there are better ways to handle sensuality in film other than throwing in a raunchy sex scene and calling it a day.

I think that over 90% of filmgoers will find themselves not missing the content, whether or not they even like those scenes that much.

For now... good riddance.

Sex is part of life and films are a refection and exploration of life.  Sex isn't also just about love and devotion, sometimes it's about lust, joy, relief, boredom, convenience, self loathing, desperation, hate etc.  The physicality of the act portrayed well on screen can inform character and relationship as well or better than any dialogue. 

Things are done poorly on screen all the time, that doesn't mean we should preclude them from being done.  As stated there's a far larger issue with violence in US movies than there is sex.  US film on that matter has been rather tame since the 90s.

One persons or films gratuitous is another's intrinsic and purposeful. 

For some any representation, allusion to or glimpse of sex is considered gratuitous.   I read a review on PG-13 Gifted lamenting the gratuitous sex and swearing.  Ridiculous.    

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

You're right, because people totally don't have sex when they're in a sexual relationship with one another.

Honestly, it seems like they're solving a problem that didn't need any fixing to begin with.  Sex isn't harmful unless it's non-consensual or done at a young age.  And even if it can be harmful, Hollywood has no problem showing guns and brutal violence in their films.  A parent would probably freak out if a kid saw a sex scene between two consenting adults at a younger age, but yet that same kid at a young age will probably go watch the new Marvel movie and be fine as multiple civilians die due to widespread destruction.

That reminds me of the parents who complained about a quick shot of a naked breast in that shark attack movie on that couple.  Yes, they brought their children to a Rated R movie to watch sharks mangle and eat people but were outraged by a glimpse of breast because that's what scared their children....

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Stupid and completely the wrong lesson learned.  It's not the on screen sex anyone objects to it's the off screen predatory and abusive behavior.

Well, sort of but not really.  Franco is mainly being accused right now because he had a female sign a contract to do nudity in an indie production for standard rate.  That is now being called out for power abuse due to the amount of money paid.  

7 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Well, sort of but not really.  Franco is mainly being accused right now because he had a female sign a contract to do nudity in an indie production for standard rate.  That is now being called out for power abuse due to the amount of money paid.  

Isn't not more about the actual content of the scene not have been discussed and improve happening during the sex scene ? More than the amount.... Didn't follow that story much, twitter being a terrible platform.

Looks like #MeToo is making everyone in Hollywood afraid of showing any sort of sexual or physical contact, as if they don't understand the difference between consensual adults filming a sex scene and actual abuse.

That being said, A Star is Stillborn was likely pushed back because it was going to get clobbered in it's May slot, and was given the 'awards' excuse for moving it to October.