babz06

A Star is Born | 5th October, 2018 | Warner Bros | Bradley Cooper directing, Lady Gaga cast as lead.

9 hours ago, That One Guy said:

You're right, because people totally don't have sex when they're in a sexual relationship with one another.

Honestly, it seems like they're solving a problem that didn't need any fixing to begin with.  Sex isn't harmful unless it's non-consensual or done at a young age.  And even if it can be harmful, Hollywood has no problem showing guns and brutal violence in their films.  A parent would probably freak out if a kid saw a sex scene between two consenting adults at a younger age, but yet that same kid at a young age will probably go watch the new Marvel movie and be fine as multiple civilians die due to widespread destruction.

That's a fair way of looking at it. I'm just saying, it's better implicit than explicit. Some sexual scenes- you know, those scenes from, like, Fifty Shades or something- reveal the immaturity of the filmmaker, because they can't control themselves, they can't point the camera away. But that opening scene from Lolita is the good and effective way to express such a relationship that both of us would be happy with from an artistic standpoint.

So here's my take: they can still be artistic, but they need to tone it down just a touch.

9 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Sex is part of life and films are a refection and exploration of life.  Sex isn't also just about love and devotion, sometimes it's about lust, joy, relief, boredom, convenience, self loathing, desperation, hate etc.  The physicality of the act portrayed well on screen can inform character and relationship as well or better than any dialogue. 

Things are done poorly on screen all the time, that doesn't mean we should preclude them from being done.  As stated there's a far larger issue with violence in US movies than there is sex.  US film on that matter has been rather tame since the 90s.

One persons or films gratuitous is another's intrinsic and purposeful. 

For some any representation, allusion to or glimpse of sex is considered gratuitous.   I read a review on PG-13 Gifted lamenting the gratuitous sex and swearing.  Ridiculous.    

It is a part of life, and I accept that. Some filmmakers use it to give their films meaning, and I accept that.

I am against using sexual interaction in film as a lazy way out. Believe it or not, many filmmakers who want to establish relationships simply throw in sex scenes and call it a day.

I'm gonna do a case by case basis thing, starting with Iron Man. When Tony Stark and a woman from that press conference in the flashback have a scene together, it serves a narrative purpose because it shows the kind of self-centered person Tony Stark was before he went to Afghanistan. Because the scene was not overtly wrong, that very quick explanatory scene was fine.

Let's move on to Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues. Ron Burgundy has already entered into a relationship with his boss. Then they are given a scene that truly has no narrative purpose other than comedic effect. This is immature and wrong, because if it is believed that sex is something important, than it is believed that sex is not a joke.

So what I say to filmmakers and filmgoers alike is this: if those scenes are in a film, then they better be worth it. They better serve an honest narrative purpose. They better not be overly gratuitous, and they better not treat sex as a joke. 

And, yes, people getting mad at the movie Gifted is ridiculous.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, slambros said:

That's a fair way of looking at it. I'm just saying, it's better implicit than explicit. Some sexual scenes- you know, those scenes from, like, Fifty Shades or something- reveal the immaturity of the filmmaker, because they can't control themselves, they can't point the camera away. But that opening scene from Lolita is the good and effective way to express such a relationship that both of us would be happy with from an artistic standpoint.

So here's my take: they can still be artistic, but they need to tone it down just a touch

Fifty Shades is literally a movie built around sex.  Whether you like it or not, its target audience is there to see explicit sex scenes.  It's not immaturity, it's just what that film is.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Noodlebug said:

Looks like #MeToo is making everyone in Hollywood afraid of showing any sort of sexual or physical contact, as if they don't understand the difference between consensual adults filming a sex scene and actual abuse.

That being said, A Star is Stillborn was likely pushed back because it was going to get clobbered in it's May slot, and was given the 'awards' excuse for moving it to October.

Not to mention not understanding the difference between gratuitous nudity and nudity that's effective to plot and character, which has been a concern even before #MeToo.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

While I do think there’s cases where the nudity in a film was gratuitous and added nothing to film, I also don’t think there aren’t cases where it effectively adds to a story.  

This also completely misses the point of the Me Too movement.  It’s about predatory behavior from people in power, not how sex is being displayed on screen.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

While I do think there’s cases where the nudity in a film was gratuitous and added nothing to film, I also don’t think there aren’t cases where it effectively adds to a story.  

This also completely misses the point of the Me Too movement.  It’s about predatory behavior from people in power, not how sex is being displayed on screen.

Everyone loves to cite Halle Berry in Swordfish as the perfect example of gratuitous nudity.

I think nudity does play a part of #MeToo to a certain extent, in the sense of people in power coercing women to get nude on camera.

Edited by Jay Beezy

11 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

Everyone loves to cite Halle Berry in Swordfish as the perfect example of gratuitous nudity.

It is though the number one flag to gratuitous nudity is the ubiquitous stripper bar scene which seemed to pop up in every 80s action film or thriller or movie where men had to have lunch together.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It is though the number one flag to gratuitous nudity is the ubiquitous stripper bar scene which seemed to pop up in every 80s action film or thriller or movie where men had to have lunch together.

It seems to me this is still rather common in movies and Tv shows though lol 

Edited by Lordmandeep

2 hours ago, slambros said:

That's a fair way of looking at it. I'm just saying, it's better implicit than explicit. Some sexual scenes- you know, those scenes from, like, Fifty Shades or something- reveal the immaturity of the filmmaker, because they can't control themselves, they can't point the camera away.

Or, y'know, maybe the sex scenes are for narrative reasons?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Fifty Shades is literally a movie built around sex.  Whether you like it or not, its target audience is there to see explicit sex scenes.  It's not immaturity, it's just what that film is.

It can still mean that what the film inherently is is something that is unhealthy to viewers, whether or not they care. That's why I am careful not to watch films with overblown sexual content; I almost decided to watch The Killing of a Sacred Deer before I looked up the film on Common Sense Media. I'm glad I saw what was there in advance!

But if there are other people that can handle the content, then no, I won't stop them from watching the films they want to watch. But I do want to be prepared to tell them why those scenes could be harmful to a weak mind or a weak spirit.

55 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Or, y'know, maybe the sex scenes are for narrative reasons?

Personally, it makes me sad when vary gratuitous sex scenes are given a free pass with excuses of artistic and narrative reasons.

Don't get me wrong- Blade Runner 2049 made great, effective, and agreeable use of the content that it did have. That's another example of a film that does this kind of thing right. And yes, plenty of other films do this right.

I only have a problem with the films that do things the wrong way. I only have a problem with films that glorify and glamourize potentially harmful sexual habits and philosophies. But if that's not what the filmmaker is after, then sure, I'm fine with what they film. That's my stance.

• Disbelief 1

Consensual sex between adults is a good, healthy thing so why would it be unhealthy to see? What is a harmful sexual habit, if it is consensual and faithful (if you are in a relationship)?

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Jay Beezy said:

The sight of sex in general can often conjure up PTSD for those who have been victims of nonconsensual sex.

That's a whole other discussion, and the reason why trigger warnings and content warnings are a very good thing. But that doesn't seem to be the argument here. 

• Like 1

honestly the biggest problem with the sex scenes in 50 shades is that they don't go far enough. we're supposed to believe this dude is crazy and all she really gets is a blindfold and a few spanks puh lease. also there's no dong in that film.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

If you want really great sex scenes which are very long, very graphic and add to the story (no kidding, im serious), watch The Handmaiden (2016). Dont watch it though if you have a problem with women who love women :sparta:

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

honestly the biggest problem with the sex scenes in 50 shades is that they don't go far enough. we're supposed to believe this dude is crazy and all she really gets is a blindfold and a few spanks puh lease. also there's no dong in that film.

The studio has a reason to not make the sex scenes in 50 shades go far enough.