babz06

A Star is Born | 5th October, 2018 | Warner Bros | Bradley Cooper directing, Lady Gaga cast as lead.

3 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

An actual musical?

As in people bursting into [new] songs and stuff?

The 1954 film had seven songs,  it was a musical - just one where all songs were part of a character's performances. I can't image them bothering to do it on stage and not using the music, especially this song

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

The 1954 film had seven songs,  it was a musical - just one where all songs were part of a character's performances. I can't image them bothering to do it on stage and not using the music, especially this song

Thanks! I have never watched that, but I think I will now.

• Like 1

Garland's greatest performance. Incredible that she did not win the Oscar.

Deadline said that WB was "blown away" by the test screenings.

Warner Bros.’ remake of A Star Is Born, with director-star Bradley Cooper and Stefani Germanotta aka Lady Gaga, will hit theaters earlier next year, specifically May 18, instead of its original September 28.

Deadline hears that Warner Bros. executives saw an early cut of the film and were blown away by Germanotta and Cooper’s sublime turns; as such they want to get the film on screens as soon as they can.

The pic’s new release date occurs coincidentally during the Cannes Film Festival, and Warner Bros. has a recent history of launching its grand May spectacles on the global stage on the Croisette — read Mad Max: Fury Road and The Great Gatsby. Whether A Star Is Born will make its world premiere at Cannes is up in the air, and Warner Bros. isn’t commenting on that type of launch right now.

On its new date in U.S./Canada, A Star Is Born will go against Sony’s Slender Man and Focus Features’ untitled Laika production. That’s also the weekend preceding the Memorial Day stretch when Disney/Lucasfilm’s Han Solo anthology movie opens.

A Star Is Born gives a fresh look at the story about a singer whose star rises as quickly as her troubled lover/mentor’s star is falling. The latest version of the script was written by Bradley Cooper, Will Fetters, and Eric Roth (Munich, Forrest Gump). Sam Elliott also stars. For Germanotta, who already is an Oscar nominee and won a Golden Globe for her turn in American Horror Story: Hotel, it’s truly her first marquee film role.

A Star Is Born is also a Live Nation/RatPac-Dune Entertainment production. Bill Gerber, Jon Peters, Cooper, Todd Phillips and Lynette Howell Taylor are producers with EPs Basil Iwanyk, Michael Rapino, Heather Parry and Ravi Mehta.

By the way, Netflix’s candid Lady Gaga documentary Gaga: Five Foot Two hits the streaming service today following its Toronto International Film Festival premiere.

http://deadline.com/2017/09/lady-gaga-bradley-cooper-a-star-is-born-opens-summer-1202175152/

Edited by Chaz
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

If that would be release in Decembwr then maybe Gaga would sneak in the Beast Actress category.Academy Awards Nominee Stephanie Germanotta...what a world we live in...

The Madonna/Gaga stan wars wil be epic if Gaga gets an acting Oscar nod... :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

From the list of Pop divas that tried to be an actress, Gaga is easily the worst of the bunch. She was absolutely awful in Machete and AHS, unless a miracle happened, I would say that she has more chances at Razzies than at Oscar. 

Easily? 

MV5BYTBkMTNjNjctZGE3YS00NzYyLTk2ODYtM2M1

tumblr_inline_ngemutzrU61t1d8nx.jpg

crossroads-britney.png

screen-shot-2013-09-15-at-22-55-02.png

Just now, Cochofles said:

Easily? 

crossroads-britney.png

To be fair, Kelly Clarkson has said over the years that she only did From Justin to Kelly because of contractual obligations. It's probably telling that she hasn't really attempted acting again other than random guest spots on TV shows as herself.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Chaz said:

Mariah has had some fine performances. Wisegirls and Precious come to mind. 

After re-watching Wisegirls and Precious , I was utterly shocked at how good she was.

Mariah was funny, charming, and absolutely captivating in the former, and she truly acted the heck out of the latter.

That's why her work in Glitter was the biggest WTF performance I've ever seen.

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Cochofles said:

Thanks! I have never watched that, but I think I will now.

2 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

From the list of Pop divas that tried to be an actress, Gaga is easily the worst of the bunch. She was absolutely awful in Machete and AHS, unless a miracle happened, I would say that she has more chances at Razzies than at Oscar. 

Gaga was kind of fun in AHS, but that role was over the top and campy (on purpose). As a serious dramatic actress, Gaga is ,I submit, a unknown quantity. She might be able to pull it off, she might not. But it will demand a level of acting we have not seen from her before.

As for her winning a Golden Globe, the Golden Globes are a bad and notorious joke. People win on name recoznition alone,and a lot of people in the industry swear it is possible for a studio to "Buy" a Globe by giving the best and most lavish parties before the Globe award.

I like Gaga fine as a singer,and she has a much better singing voice then I would have given her credit for a few years ago,but I just don't know about her as a serious actress.

Edited by dudalb

16 hours ago, Chaz said:

Garland's greatest performance. Incredible that she did not win the Oscar.

Deadline said that WB was "blown away" by the test screenings.

http://deadline.com/2017/09/lady-gaga-bradley-cooper-a-star-is-born-opens-summer-1202175152/

Studios are often "Blown Away" by test screeneings. Most of the time it is just studio Publicity department Hype..which Deadline is notorious for falling for.

1 hour ago, Cochofles said:

Easily? 

crossroads-britney.png

Mariah was good in Precious, her only misstep was Glitter.

Britney didn’t try to have a serious career as actress like Gaga is trying, Crossroads was only made to capitalize on her popularity, but she was pretty decent during her participation in Jane, The Virgin, as mentioned, she’s not awful when it comes to comedy.

Even if she was playing herself, Madonna worked as Evita (one of few roles where she wasn’t destroyed by critics), and she also got some nice reviews for Desperately Seeking Susan.

I didn’t even know that Kelly Clarkson ever acted in a movie, lol.

My biggest problem with Gaga’s acting is that she always seems to be interpreting herself (or the image that she created), she never looks like someone different from the eccentric Lady Gaga, it may change with this role, but I doubt. 

She’s also pretty bad even in her videos, watch the Marry The Night video, her acting is laughable.

Edited by Mockingjay Raphael

Some expectations-dampening quotes from an Entertainment Weekly journalist & Gaga fan, who posted messages on Gaga's fan forum (x)

The quote they lifted from me to put in the trailer was actually not from a review, it was from my coverage of the premiere. One of my coworkers actually reviewed the film. Though I'm essentially the Gaga beat writer here, we have a policy that states a person who interviews the subject for a movie (I interviewed Gaga and Chris) can't write the review, or else I would have! I wouldn't be scared for the film, but it's important to manage expectations.

I haven't seen the movie. I know people who were among the first to see it when it screened as a rough cut a few days ago. To protect them (they likely signed NDAs), I am not about to publicly detail every single thing they said about the movie. But, I trust them and what they told me. And I think it'll be important for us to manage our expectations with this release.

Yeah, this is not a good sign for the quality of the film, guys. From what I hear, the film screened for a few people several days ago as an unfinished cut. The second half is reportedly not so hot and is still being edited. Manage your expectations now, ya'll.

I'm not saying it's unique for the second half of the film to be edited this far out from a movie's release date. But the first half of the picture is locked. The second half is being carefully test-screened and edited based on feedback.

Edited by Lake

A Gaga fan was invited to a pre-screening on Saturday and posted spoilers in this thread. And showed their ticket as proof.

Summary: They thought the movie itself was 5/10, the soundtrack a 8/10, Gaga's acting 7-8/10.

Gaga flashes her nether regions briefly, editing & pacing is poor, rough, and goes haywire from the mid-point, acting is serviceable but not Oscar-worthy, directing is fine but nothing to write home about, the mostly country-rock-folk soundtrack (with some pop) is not cohesive but some songs sound great, seems R-rated due to tons of sex, drugs and swearing, awkward cameos, best part were the drag queens etc.

_fklhm5QTgmVResbvFA5cg.jpeg 

Edited by Lake