babz06

A Star is Born | 5th October, 2018 | Warner Bros | Bradley Cooper directing, Lady Gaga cast as lead.

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 8:01 PM, slambros said:

Can't say I'm not surprised.

The substance abuse is totally expected;that the male lead ends up destroying himself with booze or drugs is a very basic plot point in the story.

4 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Sometimes you see that a movie exits and can barely conceive how enough people thought it was a good enough idea to make it.

I got a feeling this one won't threaten the classic status of the 1937 and 1954 versions.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

The substance abuse is totally expected;that the male lead ends up destroying himself with booze or drugs is a very basic plot point in the story.

There's ways to convey this without plunging into R-Rated territory. Perhaps laying off on the unnecessary language and sexuality would be a good start.

I don't know, I'm just skeptical of the current trend of films that don't necessarily have to be rated R to convey the important things it wants to convey.

I'm not condemning R ratings. Passion of the Christ had an R rating, and I view that film as one of the most important films in cinematic history.

But as an aspiring filmmaker, I do not want to give glory to myself by filling the screen with crass imagery and gratuitous content to please my own desires- this is what many filmmakers do. Rather, I want to give glory to God by avoiding unnecessary content in a way that preserves the beauty of the film.

Here's my stance. If the content is necessary, sure. I'll put it in there and trust that a mature audience will see what I'm really trying to say- this is what Mel Gibson did with both Passion of the Christ and Hacksaw Ridge.

If the content is unnecessary? If so, I'm not putting it in my film. My film will not revel in violence without consequence, sex without maturity, addiction without pain, language without dissent, blasphemy without truth, sin without justice, and death without life.

(But I get what you're saying, and I think film stands a chance of being fine. It's really films like Fifty Shades that I'm against, and I pray that the majority of filmmakers refuse to adopt its philosophies. Hopefully this one doesn't.)

33 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

29 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I guess WB didn't want three female-led films (this, Life of the Party, Ocean's Eight) opening within less than a month of each other.

That'd definitely be true. I think this move also puts the film in closer proximity to the Oscar season... just in case.

I mean, Lady Gaga definitely has some leftover goodwill from the time she sang The Sound of Music at the awards ceremony that can factor if she's any good in this.

Edited by slambros
  • Like 1