kayumanggi

THE GIFT | 08.07.15 | STX Entertainment | final domestic gross: $43,787,265

Early reviews are quite solid for this. Would be cool if STX gets off to a good start with this and Secret In Their Eyes. I kinda miss when the psycho/stalker genre (The Hand That Rocks the Cradle, Single White Female, Pacific Heights, Unlawful Entry, Fear) was popular in the 90s.

Edited by filmlover

I was reading an interview with the STX boss. He seems to be really passionate about movies and wants to fill the gap for medium budget adult oriented fare which Hollywood has stopped making - pretty commendable. He needs a partner to release and market the movies though, being new means that they will have plenty of missteps even if the movies are good.

STX could become an Annapurna type studio if this, Free State of Jones and which ever the other movie they have in their queue all end up getting good reviews. Someplace auteur filmmakers can go to get their movie made without compromising their vision.

• Like 2

Wow, color me surprised that the critics seem to find this a much better movie than the trailers would suggest. I might actually have to Redbox this one - although I suspect the twists and surprises will have been publicly spoiled by then. Of course, I could just see in the theat-- ha, I couldn't even get through that.