cheesypoofs

Will Marvel ever make an R rated film?

I am not sure if it was about Marvel based TV-Series at abc, the MCUs, or... but I think there was an article some years back about them not doing R (beside maybe Netflix)

With such high budgets nowadays for CBMs...it would be IMHO not logical to do so.

No. Limiting a huge portion of the audience from seeing one of the MCU films would undermine the idea of a shared universe. Everyone has to be able to see everything.

Not to mention, as above, that making a $150M R-rated superhero movie would be insane.

• Like 1

Even if they made a blade or punisher film?

The budget wouldn't have to be like ridiculously high for them.

They might work better on Netflix where they seem to be going for a harder rating though even there reportedly not quite R.

For now, if they did them as films even with smaller budgets they'd have to divert personnel, energy and time away from making their tent pole films.  Or they'd have to drop a bigger film in preference and that would mean giving up larger revenue which I don't see them doing  Feige likes to be hands on in Production which is why they had to shift the schedule when he took on the next Spider-man.  Its taken them years to work up to three films a year.  There will probably come  time when they might expand that to four or include smaller properties but I wouldn't think for at east another 5-10 years.

• Like 1

Blade doesn't have to be R-rated. The first time I came across the character was in the 90's Spider-Man animated series, and they managed to perfectly portray the dark aspects in a kids' show without going over the top in gore nor taming it down either.

They might work better on Netflix where they seem to be going for a harder rating though even there reportedly not quite R.

For now, if they did them as films even with smaller budgets they'd have to divert personnel, energy and time away from making their tent pole films.  Or they'd have to drop a bigger film in preference and that would mean giving up larger revenue which I don't see them doing  Feige likes to be hands on in Production which is why they had to shift the schedule when he took on the next Spider-man.  Its taken them years to work up to three films a year.  There will probably come  time when they might expand that to four or include smaller properties but I wouldn't think for at east another 5-10 years.

Well I did say in my original post in phase 4 or 5 which is more than 5-10 years away :P

Not if it's in the MCU, it would be ridiculous to have a shared universe and one of the franchises not be accessible to the target age of the MCU thus far. If we see The Punisher, for example, it will be as a Spidey or Cap Anti-Hero element, he will not be getting his own film. Maybe a Netflix series.

Steven S DeKnight (the guy in charge of the Daredevil show) says he would be up for it:

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/daredevil-could-spin-off-into-hard-r-punisher-show/

“I’ve been a huge fan of the Punisher comics for years,” says DeKnight, speaking exclusively to SciFiNow.”I’d love to see him get his due on a platform like this. Nothing would delight me more than to see the Punisher get his own show and maybe we could convince Marvel to go Hard-R rating. If any character deserves an R rating, it’s the Punisher.”

I could maybe see them doing some day. an alternate story line of more mature movies that interact with each other. maybe. I would be thrilled if they do a rated R one day. but Disney is too greedy.

Disney rarely makes R-rated movies. Not only because of the money, because they're probably very aware that R-rated movies make money too. It just doesn't fit their brand vision and it would impact shareholders/stakeholders.

They could release them under their Touchstone brand.

That's why I previously said; 'not in their current business model'.

If they really feel the need to adapt a story in a R-rated way, they won't place it within the MCU. For reasons that have been mentioned. You want to sell the MCU (and the toys and merchandising) to kids, and if they can't see a movie they will lose interest at some point.