Olive

WEEKEND ESTIMATES: Home 54m , GH 34.6m, Insurgent 22.1m, Cind 17.5m (official)

Why are people saying Home is going to save DWA? Most movies are making bunch of profits even if marketing is 30-40 million , still plenty for DWA.

It isn't, but it should be able to make Dreamworks Animation a good enough profit to keep them in business longer.

Why are people saying Home is going to save DWA? Most movies are making bunch of profits even if marketing is 30-40 million , still plenty for DWA.

You know DWA's last hit was The Croods, right? This stops the bleeding. :ph34r:

This really just happened: im at a local wing spot here downtown my gf, old roomie and his gf, and my old roomie, whos 20 going on 21, goes "yeah we were gonna see Home, but I forgot Duke is playing." I said "Home??" and he was like yep.

Im sure its ancedotal, but still interesting two 20 years old were gonna skip an R rated comedy for a PG kiddie animation.

• Like 2

I'm not sure it's that it's going to save DWA, so much as it's not going to kill them like some predicted.

DWA has been bleeding money, they had to cut their production schedule, close their Redwood City studio, sell their main studio facilities (they're leasing them back to use), lay off over 500 people. Some thought this might be the film that would seal their doom.

It was never gonna seal their doom at all even if it flopped. They got $180 million from selling their studio and got a bigger credit line. But it would cripple them if it flopped. 

lmao the croods made 587m in 2013, httyd2 made 619m in 2014

but looking into it even further..

• in 2011 they released two movies making a combined 1.221b on a combined 280m budget
  • in 2012 they released two movies making 1.054b on a 290m budget
  • in 2013 they released two movies making 870m on a 262m budget
  • in 2014 they released three movies making 1.257b on a 422m budget

those are pretty great numbers imo i don't really see why they would be in trouble at all

iy6WwRMUNgIHn.gif

If Home does get a sequel, J-Katz needs to remember to NEVER make a tv show on Netflix. He needs to preserve the potential domestic box office gains for a sequel. TV shows cripple DWA's box office to no extent. I can already see the damage the TV show will do to KFP 3's domestic box office with all the competition. It won't flop, especially with their China plan though. A Croods tv series on Netflix makes sense since 5 years will naturally decrease box office anyway.

If J-Katz wants to keep DWA alive, he needs to invest in original Netflix cartoons. None of the Puss in Boots or King Julien crap. I can see Turbo FAST was a dud on Netflix since they didn't renew it for a 2nd season. Pure original stories and characters that are not in any movie. By doing that, he can make Netflix the next Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network. 

Still, Home is nothing spectacular.

When you set your expectations really low ...Dwa needs a big hit on us soil, if you didn t read the deadline artcles, studios still make most of their money on us soil, a bigger hit than Croods, a 200-300m dom grosser.

If Home does get a sequel, J-Katz needs to remember to NEVER make a tv show on Netflix. He needs to preserve the potential domestic box office gains for a sequel. TV shows cripple DWA's box office to no extent. I can already see the damage the TV show will do to KFP 3's domestic box office with all the competition. It won't flop, especially with their China plan though. A Croods tv series on Netflix makes sense since 5 years will naturally decrease box office anyway.

If J-Katz wants to keep DWA alive, he needs to invest in original Netflix cartoons. None of the Puss in Boots or King Julien crap. I can see Turbo FAST was a dud on Netflix since they didn't renew it for a 2nd season. Pure original stories and characters that are not in any movie. By doing that, he can make Netflix the next Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network. 

don't forget that dreamworks and studio mir (the animators of THE LEGEND OF KORRA) announced they're partnering on four 78-episode original animated series

I thought HTTYD2 was successful? DWA have had successful films but the last few years they've had many underperformers.

KFP3 should be okay but it is opening a week before BvS and the same OW as Allegiant not to mention Disney has Zootopia two weeks before it has tougher competition compared to Home, Trolls I'm not 100% convinced by and its opening the same OW as Doctor Strange

I thought HTTYD2 was successful? DWA have had successful films but the last few years they've had many underperformers.

KFP3 should be okay but it is opening a week before BvS and the same OW as Allegiant not to mention Disney has Zootopia two weeks before it has tougher competition compared to Home, Trolls I'm not 100% convinced by and its opening the same OW as Doctor Strange

KFP 3 will make profit from international and china alone. But there are so many hazards on KFP 3 in the US. BvS, Allegiant, Zootopia, Jungle Book, and an Illumination movie in February. 

Home doesn't strike me as something with sequel potential and even then the earliest DWA could release is 2019 unless they delay Larrikins or release an additional film in 2018.

Home doesn't strike me as something with sequel potential and even then the earliest DWA could release is 2019 unless they delay Larrikins or release an additional film in 2018.

DWA does sequels for EVERY movie of theirs that makes money. ;)

My little boy has a little bit of Jon Peters in him. He's watching Voltron and...

"A BIG SPIDER! A BIG GIANT SPIDER!!!!"

Huh, I thought he was subjected to Lab Rats 24/7 in the household

• Like 1