kayumanggi

SUFFRAGETTE | 10.23.15 | Focus | final domestic total gross: $4,702,420

Both this and The Danish Girl are about the same level of reception. As I said in that movie's thread, it'll be interesting to see how Focus will handle going through the season with two main contenders that won't be among the top-tier (unless other contenders flop) and are likely limited in terms of box office potential without any major buzz (both movies will be lucky if they manage $30M totals).

Edited by filmlover

Hard to believe that this story hasn't been put to film before.

I didn't think it was great. Solid acting, characters have down-to-earth dialogue, it's played very straightforward and doesn't try to do anything that feels different - but it is at least honest. It's very, very grim, much more so than I imagined it would be. 

I don't see it getting any nominations at the Oscars. Mulligan could get an acting nom at BAFTAs but that's about it for awards. Should do relatively well box office wise here.

Also, Anne-Marie Duff really looks like Mackenzie Crook and its kinda creepy

Reviews haven't been all that great so far. Outside of an acting nom for Mulligan, this shouldn't be very competitive.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/suffragette/

5 fresh and 2 rotten, 71% RT rating and a 5.7/10 average rating.

81 % Fresh now!  31 reviews, with 25 fresh and an average Rating of 6.3/10

Oscar dark horse?

On 07/11/2015, 20:15:23, GumbyandPokey said:

If this thing doesn't get Academy Award nods in the year of the angry, SJW, privilege-hating woman, the film must REALLY be a turd.

Eh, actually it is losing support because it is apparently supposed to be tone deaf white feminism. Those idiotic t-shirts the cast wore a few months back declaring "I'd rather be a rebel than a slave" deservedly got shit on. Especially as that quote was from Pankhurst who was believed to be racist like pretty much everyone from her era.