CJohn

Furious 7 Weekend Numbers: Revised Official Estimate - 146.5M (Sunday underestimated) | Official OS Estimate - 240.4M

Why do some of yall feel the need to get all defensive when someone says Avengers will decrease? Its not a hard concept to grasp, but the argument is tired. Avengers has very good reason to decrease. People are allowed to say so.

• Like 4

Well, it kinda is.

I think it might be able to do 207 again but it will be very, very hard. I could see it as low as 185 or, if everything leads up to a perfect storm again, as high as 210.

Then I see people predicting 225+ and I'm like "how". There are a lot of people who don't look at precedent and just assume it will increase

Avengers 1 had an ungodly hold on Sunday. Normal Sunday holds in May are 35-40%, but TA1 only fell 15%, that was the zeitgeist effect where everyone had to go watch it.

• Like 4

A bit lower than expected?  Really?  Who had it opening to 143 million before it came out?

Calm down, I'm talking about recent estimations expecting 155m this weekend, I don't know what people expected before that because I was never interested in it in the first place.

Edited by Yoshi

Avengers 1 had an ungodly hold on Sunday. Normal Sunday holds in May are 35-40%, but TA1 only fell 15%, that was the zeitgeist effect where everyone had to go watch it.

And that won't happen again.  And we are assuming that this one will be as good as the last one.  That's not a guarantee either.

Calm down, I'm talking about recent estimations expecting 155m this weekend, I don't know what people expected before that because I

I am calm.  I just pointed out that the 150 million number was never realistic.  

Im3 had 30% and Spider Man 3 had 22%.

To suggest TA2 will now magically drop 35-40% on Sunday is box office failure in logic. 

It can easily get massive grosses with huge Friday and Saturday numbers, and still fall more on Sunday.

No Matter how big the opening weekend is I doubt the Sunday record will fall. 

My point is it wont magically go from a Marvel opener to a Twilight opener. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Avengers 2 might decrease in total but I can't see how it decreases opening weekend

Because the last one opened to a number that is very difficult to get.  I don't think there will be as much general curiosity towards this one.

I can't wait for the articles saying that the Marvel brand is falling and dying after Avengers 2 fails to make over 200M on OW and ends with something like 185-195M. 

• Like 1

Well, not really though.  The Friday number from those who don't follow the box office like us, was too high.  How they were getting 150 mill from a 67 opening was unrealistic.  I'm far from the best predictor here but I had it doing 145 mill off of 67.  That seemed more logical to me.  So the 143 is pretty close to a realistic number.  150 was way too high.

I don't disagree, just saying that's the only basis where the statement wouldn't come off as ridiculous because it's far exceeded expectations by every other metric otherwise

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

I can't wait for the articles saying that the Marvel brand is falling and dying after Avengers 2 fails to make over 200M on OW and ends with something like 185-195M. 

I do love when people who obviously don't follow BO even casually write hot BO takes

• Like 2

All the tracking for "Furious 7" was at about 110, Maybe 115.  Was anyone really talking 140 or 150?

I really never understood why people were predicting less than 117M, but 143M is fucking insane. 

• Like 1

They are in a tough situation.  THEY HAVE TO BEAT AVENGERS 1 opening weekend.   They have too.  There's no excuse.  Everything leading up to this has been Great.  Since Avengers:

2013: Iron Man 3 - 1.2 Billion (Increased over IM 2)

2013: Thor 2 - 650 Million (Increased over Thor 1)

2014: Cap 2 - 700 Million (Increased over Cap 1)

2014: Guardians of the Galaxy - 700 (A Marvel property that shocked everyone)

That's 3 Billion Dollars at the Box Office Worldwide Since Avengers 1.  It's like a tidal wave coming.   If they don't increase then we have to start talking "Marvel Fatigue" cause everything to me is saying at the very lease it should take the OW. 

They are in a tough situation.  THEY HAVE TO BEAT AVENGERS 1 opening weekend.   They have too.  There's no excuse.  Everything leading up to this has been Great.  Since Avengers:

That's 3 Billion Dollars at the Box Office Worldwide Since Avengers 1.  It's like a tidal wave coming.   If they don't increase then we have to start talking "Marvel Fatigue" cause everything to me is saying at the very lease it should take the OW. 

No they don't have to.  In fact, it's not even likely.  

• Like 1

My question is if IM3 opened to 174 million, will a much bigger film like TA2 open 10 million higher only.

Imo you guys say you base off reason but to me it seems to be illogical reasoning. 

You guys know me I am not a crazy fanboy predictor either :) 

• Like 1

Marvel Fatigue is gonna be everywhere after this Summer. I guarantee it. Just because Avengers 2 is not gonna beat the first one on OW or DOM and end up with something like 190/570. And when Ant-Man does something like 500M WW it is gonna be the end of the world for Marvel, according to everyone in the Internet. And I am gonna be sitting here and laughing until May 2016 when CA3 makes 1B WW and everything will be ok in the world again.

Edited by CJohn

This is the kind of hot take I was talking about, actually

Minor decrease from an ungodly, all-time BO run = failure :rofl:

• Like 4