grim22

PRIMA - The Home Entertainment system offering day and date movies for the small price of 35000$

If you have money to spare, you can watch Furious 7, Avengers, Mad Max etc. on the day of release from the comfort of your own home

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/7/8361475/prima-cinema-luxury-movie-watching-furious-7

In the world you and I know, there are basically two legitimate, legal opportunities to catch a new flick. First, of course, there’s the theater, where we pay anywhere from $10 to $30 for the privilege of sitting in a velour seat of dubious sanitation next to talkers and texters hell-bent on ruining the experience, all while our shoes stick to years’ worth of petrified Coca-Cola, popcorn, and Sno-Caps. The next opportunity comes several weeks to several months later, when titles make the transition to on-demand streaming services, and eventually to other premium services like HBO and Netflix.

That’s about it. Unless you’re an oil baron or a venture capitalist, that is.

Using PRIMA is an interesting juxtaposition of opulence and normalcy: really, you’re just watching a movie on your couch, just as you can on any one of dozens of streaming set-tops. But the fact that you’re doing it with a film that just hit theaters feels special and weird — and considering PRIMA’s luxury target audience, you’re also probably doing it in an unusually amazing home.

The only way PRIMA works — the only way studios and theaters are cool with its existence — is by being heart-stoppingly expensive and Fort Knox secure. It needs to be so ridiculous that it doesn’t pose even the smallest threat to the theater business. Without user intervention, movies are automatically delivered to the PRIMA box several days before their theatrical release over its business-class internet connection at 40 gigabytes apiece. There they sit, encrypted, until the studio signs off — and that’s when the biometric authentication comes into play. Only authorized users can rent a movie

prima-cinema-002-2040.0.jpg

prima-cinema-2-001-2040.0.jpg

I don't even see the point. If I have the ability to watch a film in the cinema as opposed to at home, then I'll watch it in the cinema. And by definition, a new film will be available in the cinema. Home viewing is only for when I can't see a film in the cinema (which effectively is 99% of the time, but still.)

Maybe that's just me.

• Like 1

Still wouldn't buy this even if I was a millionaire. Nothing beats going to the theater. I don't want to spend all my life in my house, I want to get out in my car and get on the dangerous highway and sit in a dark theater with sticky floors, stale popcorn, and strangers. It's the experience.

• Like 1

When I'm older I'm going to win the lottery and get myself an IMAX, so I don't have to bear the annoying people who talk and munch popcorn and slurp drinks and look at their phones.

You both are college-age kids with nothing but time.

I love seeing movies in theaters, but in many times I just can't fit them into my schedule. I'd be all over this if I could afford it.

I guess it depends on how easy it is for you to get to the cinema. For me, it takes 10 minutes to get there, 10 minutes to get home. Add in 10 minutes of ads and it's just half an hour added on to the film. Not really a problem, personally. If I am able to spare 130 minutes to watch a film, I'm usually able to spare 160. :)

I would buy it if I were rich. only because they never play movies I want to see in theaters near me. but if I were rich I would probably move to one of those places that plays them so.