CaptainJackSparrow

Five Nights at Freddy's | October 27, 2023 | In Theaters and Peacock simultaneously

1 minute ago, NoobSaibot said:

They're re-writing the script. I personally don't think this movie's going to end up being made. If it ends up getting released, it will be too late because Five Nights at Freddy's had its popularity peak almost two years ago.

This. It would be 5-6 years too late by the time it got released, if it even gets off the ground.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I liked how he mentioned film industry problems. Is he talking about how video-game adaptations flopped last year? Must be.

Flopped critically? Absolutely. Flopped commercially? That's a little more complicated. 

Sure, last year you had bombs like Ratchet and Clank ($8.8m worldwide on a $20m budget) and Assassin's Creed ($209m and pretty much dead on a $125m budget), but you also had Warcraft ($433m worldwide on a $160m budget) and The Angry Birds Movie ($350m worldwide on $73m budget). That's not a great track record, and the unpopularity of all of those films essentially dooms box office prospects for any given sequel, but 2016 wasn't a terrible year for video game movies, at least commercially. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eevin said:

Flopped critically? Absolutely. Flopped commercially? That's a little more complicated. 

Sure, last year you had bombs like Ratchet and Clank ($8.8m worldwide on a $20m budget) and Assassin's Creed ($209m and pretty much dead on a $125m budget), but you also had Warcraft ($433m worldwide on a $160m budget) and The Angry Birds Movie ($350m worldwide on $73m budget). That's not a great track record, and the unpopularity of all of those films essentially dooms box office prospects for any given sequel, but 2016 wasn't a terrible year for video game movies, at least commercially. 

To be fair I don't think The Angry Birds movie is hated or anything, it's just an okay animation, you know? There's a sequel coming, let's see what happens then.

Also Warcraft did generally please most of its fan-base, which is actually relatively rare for video-game movies, they usually make the game fan-base feel quite disappointed and/or upset, Assassin's Creed being a great example of that.

But I still think that's what he meant, specially because of Assassin's Creed floppage, cause that one had big hopes attached to it. But even Warcraft doing horribly in the States should affect executives' confidence in video-game movies.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Chris Columbus, of all people, is attached to direct, write, and produce.

http://deadline.com/2018/02/five-nights-at-freddys-chris-columbus-harry-potter-blumhouse-1202286349/

I think Gil Kenan would've been a better choice, but Chris Columbus really has dealt with playful suspense before (Home Alone; first two Harry Potter films). I no longer think this has a chance at being great, but I think Columbus can at least allow for a serviceable film.

The hiring of Columbus absolutely reveals the tone they are going for: a playful, lighthearted tone, which I think will be more accessible to the general audience then something more serious.

For those who may have missed it....Columbus also wrote Gremlins. (Seriously though, I'd be shocked if most of you haven't seen it since it's instantly recognizable.) This could be an interesting project to keep our eyes on.

Edited by NoobSaibot

20 minutes ago, NoobSaibot said:

For those who may have missed it....Columbus also wrote Gremlins. (Seriously though, I'd be shocked if most of you haven't seen it since it's instantly recognizable.) This could be an interesting project to keep our eyes on.

You're right here; Columbus has experience displaying seemingly tense moments, even those including monsters, in a lighthearted, campy way that is accessible to all ages. I think he is capable of making this into a surprisingly decent film.

5 hours ago, NoobSaibot said:

Man...for how long people can live on past glories?