DAJK

Why Do You Care About Box Office?

It's sports for movie nerds.

The actors are the athletes.

The directors are the coaches.

The studios are the managers.

and there's a playoff game every weekend.

But instead of chasing around a ball, art is created and celluloid dreams become a shared experience.

These shared experiences battle for supremacy in a free market of imagination.

It's fucking beautiful.

:worthy:  :bravo:  :hiphiphoray:

And I mean every word of it. Fantastic. Answer.

I just love films. Everything about them.

People ask me what's coming out and if I've heard of this film. And unless it's a straight to DVD nightmare I usually have.

My boyfriend always tests me and asks me how much certain films made. I can usually answer quite well. Cringe.

I wish box office was accounted for in attendance, not freaking dollars.

Comparisons are so useless with inflation, freaking 3d shares and I max shares. I know mojo tries to adjust but it s full of mistakes and that doesn t still give you the right attendance numbers, just a range.

That s all exhausting to me and not very interesting.

The first Ben Hur released in 1925 made 9m at the bo, what a pathetic bomb, I wonder why they made a remake of it, why bother remaking such a Flop ? Weird.

People see movies, not green bills with a pyramid on it.

And I won t even touch the pathetic meaning of WW BO counted in dollars.

Like people get excited that FF7 is gonna be the first 1 B WW Universal film, well guess what, Jurassic Park and ET were much much bigger films so I don t care if the Toretto gang gets to one B, Jurassic Park was a much bigger monster attendance wise.

It means NOTHING, nada, niet, rien.

Exchange rates ...it's better to stop.

With inflation, all these pseudo records beaten every year make me laugh to be honest, the fucking hyperboles and "biggest of all time bullshit".

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

I do like seeing how sometimes huge box office can put a movie into pop culture eye. It's not the box office itself, but the fact that so many people saw it. Take frozen for example, we watched it defy expectations and destroy the box office, then we saw it seep into the minds of everyone and into popular culture.

One of my relatives said I was weird and odd for caring.

I was like dude you watch The Toronto Maple Leaf Hockey team each game lose and fail to in a Stanely Cup Since 1967.

That is weird. :D

Toronto Maple Leafs :lol: even here they're the butt of every hockey joke (them and the Vancouver Canucks). You think people would move on, but then again, I follow the box office more than anything else...
  • Like 1

Luckily movies and box office are a hot topic among my group of friends, so I destroy them in every argument. It's like another sport for us. 

I started getting into box office by looking up how successful the Harry Potter movies were around the time HBP came out, and then when Avatar conquered the box office for seven weeks I became interested in how a movie can rake in big bucks on the momentum of word of mouth. I loved watching it surprise me every single day with its numbers. My jaw dropped on its second weekend and there was no going back after that. 

It's sports for movie nerds.

The actors are the athletes.

The directors are the coaches.

The studios are the managers.

and there's a playoff game every weekend.

But instead of chasing around a ball, art is created and celluloid dreams become a shared experience.

These shared experiences battle for supremacy in a free market of imagination.

It's fucking beautiful.

Perfect response. 

• Like 2