PDC1987

Diversity and Gender Representation in Movies

Possible AOU spoilers ahead:   A guide to the growing controversy over Joss Whedon’s Avengers and Marvel’s gender problem

http://www.vox.com/2015/5/11/8582081/avengers-age-of-ultron-joss-whedon

These articles attempting to find controversy in that scene fail to take the entirety of Black Widow's comments into consideration. She states she was sterilized so that way she could be a more efficient killing machine and then asks Bruce if he thought he was the only monster on the team. She never says she's a "monster" because she can't have children, she says she can't have children because she's a monster.

This grasping at straws to find controversy where there is none annoys me to no end.

• Like 1

Its makes me laugh how we are talking about the lack of female representation in movies yet 2 of the biggest draws on the planet (Jennifer Lawrence, Sandra Bullock) are both females lol.

ive been to a few film schools and every time there was always a larger majority of males attending. perhaps its just so happens that more males are interested in making movies so naturally when writing their projects they find it easier to write male roles better than female roles. That's not sexist at all.

Black Widow erased from her own scene in the official toy, replaced by Captain America

https://games.yahoo.com/news/black-widow-erased-her-own-142649224.html?bcmt=1431377050777-87c9189a-4522-49c5-8c47-bcdda2aadcdf&bcmt_s=u#mediacommentsugc_container

black-widow-ultron-avengers.gif

b0425as00_quinjet_pkg.jpg

Remember the scene where Black Widow drops out of the jet on the motorcycle? Well f*ck you the toy is Captain America pic.twitter.com/juefiCqlX8

— Zac Shipley (@zacshipley) May 8, 2015

Wait, you mean that Captain America's cycle(that he's had since his very first movie and has a spot on the front to hold his shield) is being driven by Captain America and not Black Widow because of a single cool scene in the movie and previews in which she simply borrows his cycle?

SPN_GASP-gif.gif

This is like saying Leia should be the figure to come with the Millennium Falcon instead of Han because she flew it once.

j1sxr.gif

Edited by Avenging Arachnid!™
  • Like 5

L. O. L.

It strikes me as both hilarious and sad that Hollywood still thinks that female superhero movies won't sell and always trot out Catwoman and Elektra (two movies that were 1. horrible and 2. released more than a decade ago, well before the Age of the Superhero Movie would arrive) as the examples as to why. Get with the times, Industry.

I'm ALL for strong female superhero films. My main character in the stories I write these days is a strong female superhero. But these "controversies" regarding Black Widow seem awfully forced and to me do more disservice to feminism than anything. And you can't just shoe horn in these characters or that's even more insulting and offensive, IMO. They have to feel natural.

Black Widow would be a great film to me. But as a prequel(at least at first). I'm sorry, but changing Captain Marvel into Carol Danvers when the original CM that battled Thanos was male feels at least on the surface to be "shoe horned". Hopefully they can make a damn good film that makes you forget that, and I'm sure if anyone can do it, it would be Marvel.

Black Widow erased from her own scene in the official toy, replaced by Captain America

https://games.yahoo.com/news/black-widow-erased-her-own-142649224.html?bcmt=1431377050777-87c9189a-4522-49c5-8c47-bcdda2aadcdf&bcmt_s=u#mediacommentsugc_container

Wait, you mean that Captain America's cycle(that he's had since his very first movie and has a spot on the front to hold his shield) is being driven by Captain America and not Black Widow because of a single cool scene in the movie and previews in which she simply borrows his cycle?

SPN_GASP-gif.gif

This is like saying Leia should be the figure to come with the Millennium Falcon instead of Han because she flew it once.

j1sxr.gif

They should just have Black Widow single handedly defeat Thanos in the next one. Then they will be happy I think

Edited by John Marston

One fundamental flaw in this entire debate is how many people are lumping "feminism" into one unified, constructed group with the same ideologies and practices, which couldn't be less true. Different feminists feel very different ways about how sexuality and gender should be portrayed on screen. It'd kind of be like if people lumped all black people together into one construct for strawman's sake.....oh, wait. 

SPN_GASP-gif.gif

j1sxr.gif

That's because little boys are more likely to buy action figures than little girls. A captain america toy will sold more than a black widow toy, that's not sexist, it's called running a business efficiently lol.

• Like 2

One fundamental flaw in this entire debate is how many people are lumping "feminism" into one unified, constructed group with the same ideologies and practices, which couldn't be less true. Different feminists feel very different ways about how sexuality and gender should be portrayed on screen. It'd kind of be like if people lumped all black people together into one construct for strawman's sake.....oh, wait.

You guys assume all conservatives or people with right wing ideals are of one mind..

So hypocritical much?

• Like 3

j1sxr.gif

Where's my "Vision holding Thor's hammer" toy? He's hold Thor's hammer more often than BW's rode Cap's cycle and his scenes were just as cool. :ph34r:  :ph34r: :ph34r:  

• Like 1

You guys assume all conservatives or people with right wing ideals are of one mind..

So hypocritical much?

I don't assume that at all. I study political science and work on political campaigns for a living. I know all there is to know about various wings of both parties.  I wrote my fucking term paper in a class this semester on the differences between the Tea Party and the establishment and how the disparate wings of the GOP affects American politics. My oldest brother, my hero, is a Republican. I understand the differences probably better than Republicans do. Don't lump me in with other people, bruh. You don't know jack doodly squat about me or what I do. 

And there's a huge difference between lumping together the views of a political ideology (which I believe is wrong, yes) and lumping together the views of those opposing a social movement. Not all people who oppose feminism are conservatives. In fact, many are quite liberal. So stating an argument against those disparate parts who are presenting facts contrary to your side does not equate to lumping all conservatives together when on the attack (which again, I think is dumb.) 

Edited by cmasterclay

However I will give credit you have become far more fair in your politics over the years.

However feminists are given far more leeway then other groups.

If a man makes a sexist joke against a reporter on live TV. He loses his job.

This has happened here in Toronto locally. I agree with that.

If a feminist says all men are rapists on social media or at a feminist rally.

She should lose her job as well. ..why would any man want to work with a female who has such hate and distrust in her fellow human being.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

However I will give credit you have become far more fair in your politics over the years.

Oh in the past I absolutely said some rash and stupid things. College changes you, as does becoming more a part of the political experience. it's why I won't argue with guys like Alpha and Ethan Hunt- Even sharp political minds like mine don't really know jack shit until after a little bit of life experience and higher school. It's not "ageism"- it's just a fact. You become more reasoned and knowledgable with age and education (even if my economic views have shifted far left it doesn't mean my worldy outlook has shifted that way). 

Edited by cmasterclay
  • Like 2

I'm ALL for strong female superhero films. My main character in the stories I write these days is a strong female superhero. But these "controversies" regarding Black Widow seem awfully forced and to me do more disservice to feminism than anything. And you can't just shoe horn in these characters or that's even more insulting and offensive, IMO. They have to feel natural.

Black Widow would be a great film to me. But as a prequel(at least at first). I'm sorry, but changing Captain Marvel into Carol Danvers when the original CM that battled Thanos was male feels at least on the surface to be "shoe horned". Hopefully they can make a damn good film that makes you forget that, and I'm sure if anyone can do it, it would be Marvel.

Come on, Arachnid, I'm usually on the same page as you 99% of the time, but who the hell will care or notice that Carol wasn't the CM who fought Thanos that one time in the comics? It's neither "shoehorned" or "unnatural". Mar-Vell has been dead in the comics for a long time now and no one is really fuming. 

Besides, the MCU at this point is a completely alternate universe to the Marvel 616, which is now getting destroyed as we know it anyway, further making the point moot.

Would they speak against each other if one group of feminist do something stupid and irrational or they just turn a blind eye on it and let their target get bullied? If it's the former I'd say they aren't that different.

However feminists are given far more leeway then other groups.

If a man makes a sexist joke against a reporter on live TV. He loses his job.

This has happened here in Toronto locally. I agree with that.

If a feminist says all men are rapists on social media or at a feminist rally.

She should lose her job as well. ..why would any man want to work with a female who has such hate and distrust in her fellow human being.

So true. Gender 'equality" shouldn't be restricted to just social status and whatever beneficial. People should take equal responsibility for their misbehaves and misjudgements regardless of their genders or whatever group of politics they stand for.

Edited by KATCH 22
  • Like 1

Come on, Arachnid, I'm usually on the same page as you 99% of the time, but who the hell will care or notice that Carol wasn't the CM who fought Thanos that one time in the comics? It's neither "shoehorned" or "unnatural". Mar-Vell has been dead in the comics for a long time now and no one is really fuming. 

Besides, the MCU at this point is a completely alternate universe to the Marvel 616, which is now getting destroyed as we know it anyway, further making the point moot.

giphy.gif

That's because little boys are more likely to buy action figures than little girls. A captain america toy will sold more than a black widow toy, that's not sexist, it's called running a business efficiently lol.

Good point. And also a good point about this entire franchise when 6 out of the 10 who buy tickets to see SH films are male. Last I checked that's a bigger demographic. Sue them for targeting males with both story and character choices.

Bad Marvel, bad!

Smack them in the nose with the rolled up newspaper of justice!!!

thetickantenna.gif

Ha Ha's aside, how many feminists do you think buy tickets to these movies? Even though I see little for them to be up in arms about, why would Marvel kowtow to them? This is yet another case of the vocal minority having the loudest voice.