PDC1987

Diversity and Gender Representation in Movies

Probably, but I still think FIFA (the game) should include FIFA's (organization) female teams from now on.

It has the official lisence and it is FIFA's (the organization) goal to promote female soccer (and it is becoming more and more popular in many countries).

It is a form of "normalization" to include them in all the merchandise, especially when it can be done in such a relatively cheap way.

Edited by ShouldIBeHere

As for playing fifa with a women, she's clearly that rare breed, she's what i'd like to call a unicorn and needs to be further examined, I'd like to run some tests on her.

Even in COD 24% of all players are women according to Infinity Ward. I'm guessing it would be somewhat higher for a game like FIFA. Hardly a rare breed.

http://www.lazygamer.net/24/a-quarter-of-all-call-of-duty-gamers-are-female/

• Like 1

Even in COD 24% of all players are women according to Infinity Ward. I'm guessing it would be somewhat higher for a game like FIFA. Hardly a rare breed.

http://www.lazygamer.net/24/a-quarter-of-all-call-of-duty-gamers-are-female/

24% of players probably play under a female character, doesn't mean women are actually playing it. My character for AW is a women for Christ sake lol.

24% of players probably play under a female character, doesn't mean women are actually playing it. My character for AW is a women for Christ sake lol.

cept those figures were given by Infinity Ward before a COD was released that allowed you to play as a female.

You might have the voice of the general public when it comes to film, but clearly you suck at revognising trends in females playing games.

cept those figures were given by Infinity Ward before a COD was released that allowed you to play as a female.

You might have the voice of the general public when it comes to film, but clearly you suck at revognising trends in females playing games.

I don't belive that figure for shit

Just read Jerry Seinfeld's comments about sexism, and I couldn't agree more with the guy. It always cracks me up to hear teenage girls here in Sweden talk about patriarchy. Sexism has become this buzzword people like to throw around to make themselves feel special and important, like their part of some great big cause. That's why they crawl up these movies' asses with microscopes looking for things to bitch about, and make issues out of non-issues. If they really wanted to make a difference, they would focus their attention, time and energy on the real crimes and injustices being committed towards women worldwide on a daily basis, like in countries like India and Saudi Arabia. But are they willing to do that? Of course not, 'cause it's easier to get noticed, get "likes" and whatnot, when you talk about the latest popular blockbuster. A bunch of self-important pseudo-revolutionaries is what they are.
  • Like 3

Just read Jerry Seinfeld's comments about sexism, and I couldn't agree more with the guy. It always cracks me up to hear teenage girls here in Sweden talk about patriarchy. Sexism has become this buzzword people like to throw around to make themselves feel special and important, like their part of some great big cause. That's why they crawl up these movies' asses with microscopes looking for things to bitch about, and make issues out of non-issues. If they really wanted to make a difference, they would focus their attention, time and energy on the real crimes and injustices being committed towards women worldwide on a daily basis, like in countries like India and Saudi Arabia. But are they willing to do that? Of course not, 'cause it's easier to get noticed, get "likes" and whatnot, when you talk about the latest popular blockbuster. A bunch of self-important pseudo-revolutionaries is what they are.

I defer you to DamienRoc's comment a few pages back, as they tackle a similar reply with more grace than I probably could.

But what you're doing is an extremely common tactic to try to shut up women. "Why aren't you focusing on the REAL problems?" And you've set it up that only you can define what problems are real and what should be important for other people. It's a really shitty thing to do for a number of reasons.

Firstly, it ignores the fact that many people can and do focus on said "real" problems while also being able to criticize things that are "unimportant".

Secondly, it's pretty much saying that you feel you are a better judge of how a person uses their time and effort than they are. Moreover, it's implied that if they're going to criticize anything, they better ONLY be doing it for the biggest and worst problems at all times. Otherwise, what? They might as well not do anything?

(Beyond that, I rarely see anyone who brings up such criticism also mentioning that they are spending 100% of their time working on the worst and vile problems of the world.  It's hypocritical to expect anyone to do that.)

Thirdly, and this is probably a big one, it's very often brought up that critiques of media representation aren't important compared to other things, but by all indications media is INCREDIBLY important. How things are presented in fiction affects how people think and how they act. We need outside stimuli to come to any basis of understanding, and the media we consume contributes to a huge part of that stimuli.

So when people call out behavior from celebrities that is problematic, it's not a case of getting worked up over nothing. It comes from a point of understanding that there's a cascading nature to such behavior. When Jeremy Renner says Black Widow is a slut, regardless of whether it's a joke, it internalizes calling women sluts for others who see and understand that behavior as okay. HE might be talking about a fictional character, but it can have real-world implications.

So basically, obviously these issues in third world countries matter, but don't pretend that people have nothing to complain about here. Besides, what you're doing is a variant of the parental brain teaser 'Don't be a crybaby, think of the starving children in Africa!'.

• Like 6

I defer you to DamienRoc's comment a few pages back, as they tackle a similar reply with more grace than I probably could.

So basically, obviously these issues in third world countries matter, but don't pretend that people have nothing to complain about here. Besides, what you're doing is a variant of the parental brain teaser 'Don't be a crybaby, think of the starving children in Africa!'.

This.

The eternal strawman "Shut up bitch, there are more important issues you must care about* so stop bitching while I enjoy my chauvinistic entertainment" (*Always about muslim women weirdly...)

Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 4

The issue is not over whose issues are more important.

It is that we more like just move from one group to the next year by year as a fad thinking whose rights are more important. One moment Gays are most Important, then no Women are, no Black People are! 

The issue is that we should focus on the rights of the most vulnerable but not forget the purpose of progressive minded thinking is about equal rights for all. Not only for people that you like or agree with.

The current trend I see from modern day feminism is not about equal rights anymore and is more about making females a protected class against the  'evil vileness of men'. 

For example a man saying all females as X is sexist.

Saying all Men are rapists or as scum is seen as okay.... :wacko:

Can someone explain how this leads to a more equal society?  :rolleyes:

A man saying anything about a women is bad, a women creating a toxic environment between genders is right? 

People get so focused on one group and forget the big picture of overall society.

I believe over  time this current trend of feminism will cause a big blow back in a negative way. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

WTF? Did you just forget that Sweden has the highest reported sexual assault cases against women in all of Europe and in the world? Even if the other countries are not playing fair with their own numbers, that particular crime rate against women in Sweden is fucking abysmal considering it's pretty small, especially compared to the two countries you just mentioned, plus is considered as "First World".

Edited by Spidey Freak

The issue is not over whose issues are more important.

It is that we more like just move from one group to the next year by year as a fad thinking whose rights are more important. One moment Gays are most Important, then no Women are, no Black People are! 

The issue is that we should focus on the rights of the most vulnerable but not forget the purpose of progressive minded thinking is about equal rights for all. Not only for people that you like or agree with.

The current trend I see from modern day feminism is not about equal rights anymore and is more about making females a protected class against the  'evil vileness of men'. 

For example a man saying all females as X is sexist.

Saying all Men are rapists or as scum is seen as okay.... :wacko:

Can someone explain how this leads to a more equal society?  :rolleyes:

A man saying anything about a women is bad, a women creating a toxic environment between genders is right? 

People get so focused on one group and forget the big picture of overall society.

I believe over  time this current trend of feminism will cause a big blow back in a negative way. 

Lol mainstream feminism as we know it has been around since the 1920's. And the blowbacks have been happening since then as well. But all they've been doing is just increasingly strengthening the movement.

Edited by Spidey Freak

WTF? Did you just forget that Sweden has the highest reported sexual assault cases against women in all of Europe and in the world? Even if the other countries are not playing fair with their own numbers, that particular crime rate against women in Sweden is fucking abysmal considering it's pretty small, especially compared to the two countries you just mentioned, plus is considered as "First World".

The key word there is "reported".

And another thing:

"But that is a misconception, according to Klara Selin, a sociologist at the National Council for Crime Prevention in Stockholm. She says you cannot compare countries' records, because police procedures and legal definitions vary widely.

"In Sweden there has been this ambition explicitly to record every case of sexual violence separately, to make it visible in the statistics," she says."

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-19592372

Edited by lab276
  • Like 1

I mentioned that disparity in my previous post. Even so, it is still appaling that there are so many cases of such kind in Sweden, a relatively small First World nation, even if every single one of them is being reported.

I think you're being pretty naive if you think it's particularly bad in Sweden and nowhere else in the world.

I mentioned that disparity in my previous post. Even so, it is still appaling that there are so many cases of such kind in Sweden, a relatively small First World nation, even if every single one of them is being reported.

I know in the U.S. A high portion do not report anything. Same could be happening in other countries. Edited by North Stars