PDC1987

Diversity and Gender Representation in Movies

I know in the U.S. A high portion do not report anything. Same could be happening in other countries.

In many countries Women do no report for various reasons.

In Sweden there is less of a barrier to reporting.

In many countries, a women being assaulted is shamed or look down upon, or is not desirable by family and guys anymore.

Even in developed countries, some people think its her fault, or think she may cause more trouble as such legals cases are always very hard. 

Many times  the assault is someone they know well, and even if that person did something bad to them, they likely don't  want them to get in trouble either. That sounds rather wacky, but Duggar family story is a perfect example. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

I think you're being pretty naive if you think it's particularly bad in Sweden and nowhere else in the world.

I'm not saying that at all. However, downplaying the horrors of Sweden by just providing an excuse of "But, but, but... it's worse for ladies somewhere else in the world!" is indeed naive. To say the least.

Dashrendar, Damien Roc and others were already talking about the follies of downplaying problems for women in First World countries by dismissing it as nothing compared to women in Third World countries, but Stingray's post about how women in Sweden had nothing to worry about compared to women in other nations took the truth of the point those posters were trying to make to another level altogether.

I'm not saying that at all. However, downplaying the horrors of Sweden by just providing an excuse of "But, but, but... it's worse for ladies somewhere else in the world!" is indeed naive. To say the least.

Dashrendar, Damien Roc and others were already talking about the follies of downplaying problems for women in First World countries by dismissing it as nothing compared to women in Third World countries, but Stingray's post about how women in Sweden had nothing to worry about compared to women in other nations took the truth of the point those posters were trying to make to another level altogether.

I didn't say anything about first world or third world. Sweden has one of the highest rates in the world because they go out of their way to report everything. If other countries reported the way Sweden does, they wouldn't be such an outlier. That was my point. In fact you might actually use Sweden's rate as indicative of the reality in the first world, and not single it out as particularly bad.

Edited by lab276

I didn't say anything about first world or third world. Sweden has one of the highest rates in the world because they go out of their way to report everything. If other countries reported the way Sweden does, they wouldn't be such an outlier. That was my point. In fact you might actually use Sweden's rate as indicative of the reality in the first world, and not single it out as particularly bad.

I didn't say you made the comparison. Stingray did in his post.

My point is simple. Women have to deal with enough shit in the First World, so dismissing it by saying it is nothing compared to the shit women have to deal with in the Third World is immensely foolish. I just used Sweden's case because Stingray explicitly mentioned the country and it just so happens to have a known high crime rate against women. Not particularly singling it out as being worse than other First World countries.

5 hours ago, ChipMunky said:

Avengers 4 trailer was coming today. I know this for a fact. It was pushed back because of the like/dislike ratio on Captain Marvel.

beside this being not earnestly meant....

just to have a comparison for another date/time:

dislike % is less than 5% for the moment (~485k likes to 23k dislikes)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

beside this being not earnestly meant....

just to have a comparison for another date/time:

dislike % is less than 5% for the moment (~485k likes to 23k dislikes)

Well, it does have a higher ratio of dislikes to likes than most other MCU trailers, and the comment section for the trailer is full of people complaining about Brie Larson. It’s obviously far from being a Ghostbusters (2016), but it certainly seems to be inspiring a great amount of polarizing opinions compared to the usual Marvel film. 

29 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Well, it does have a higher ratio of dislikes to likes than most other MCU trailers, and the comment section for the trailer is full of people complaining about Brie Larson. It’s obviously far from being a Ghostbusters (2016), but it certainly seems to be inspiring a great amount of polarizing opinions compared to the usual Marvel film. 

Gee, the two most polarizing marvel films just happen to have had a black lead and woman lead. I wonder why....

black panther had an abnormally high dislike/like ratio too.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Is that earnestly meant or do you try to be sarcastic?

As in a lot of these negatives seem to be based on ... lets say it 'wanna-be-men's'

A ~ 5% negative ratio is for a female lead.... pretty good IHMO.

Plus: it shows that the majority of ~  95% is simply less 'loud' than the 'screaming' - in this and similar cases - really small minority.

edit to add:

Btw, I think it is not a bad amount of reactions per like/dislike in connection to trailer view count, plus the trailer view count seems to be nice too

Edited by terrestrial

4 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Is that earnestly meant or do you try to be sarcastic?

As in a lot of these negatives seem to be based on ... lets say it 'wanna-be-men's'

A ~ 5% negative ratio is for a female lead.... pretty good IHMO.

Plus: it shows that the majority of ~  95% is simply less 'loud' than the 'screaming' - in this and similar cases - really small minority.

edit to add:

Btw, I think it is not a bad amount of reactions per like/dislike in connection to trailer view count, plus the trailer view count seems to be nice too

so 1 in 20 gave it a negative reaction? Thats not bad at all, can hardly blame that on sexism. that's basically like a movie getting 95% on RT 

Edited by Jessie

10 hours ago, YLF said:

Gee, the two most polarizing marvel films just happen to have had a black lead and woman lead. I wonder why....

black panther had an abnormally high dislike/like ratio too.

I don't think it's about it being a female led movie, but because of Brie Larson's obnoxious social media comments. Like the time she said a 40 year old white man can't review a wrinkle in time because his opinion doesn't matter.

12 minutes ago, nevermore said:

I don't think it's about it being a female led movie, but because of Brie Larson's obnoxious social media comments. Like the time she said a 40 year old white man can't review a wrinkle in time because his opinion doesn't matter.

Oh boy 😯 I didn’t know that happened. I also think the trailers lack the “wow” factor.

9 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Oh boy 😯 I didn’t know that happened. I also think the trailers lack the “wow” factor.

I do think casting Brie Larson was a big mistake. Which is unfortunate because Captain Marvel is supposed to play a pivotal role in the MCU going forward.

3 hours ago, Jessie said:

so 1 in 20 gave it a negative reaction? Thats not bad at all, can hardly blame that on sexism. that's basically like a movie getting 95% on RT 

I do not blame per % of the like-dislike ratio , it's about those that use accordingly 'reasons' in such a way (sexism and worse) in the comments.

The comments show a way higher % negative in comparison to the dislike ratio. Like in some clip's threads it looks - at a fast glance - like 95% negative comments.

But only in the 'anonym' threads of in this case the Marvel's channels (I mean the ones done by a team and with seemingly no moderation) and - in comparison still smaller numbers - some YT channels run by certain - seemingly usually white male but not only those, I found 1 POC channel too - reacting to .... whatever people/YT-channels.

If the react to... clip is done by POC, mixed groups, families, females, but also white male groups.... the reaction (per ppl showing their reaction to the clip and their audience/commenter) seems to be mostly positive.

Hence my comments about the very loud, but also very small minority drowning out the 'likers', especially in the Marvel Entertainment channel. With only 5% dislike managing to fill in certain channels nearly all comments is not showing the opinion of the 'like-giving' huge majority, that for some reasons seems to stay away as comment-writers from certain channels

Now clearer?

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, nevermore said:

Do you have a quote on that? All I recall is that she expressed the need for more diversity among critics. Has nothing to do with thinking a 40 year old white man can’t review certain movies. 

5 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

Do you have a quote on that? All I recall is that she expressed the need for more diversity among critics. Has nothing to do with thinking a 40 year old white man can’t review certain movies. 

Sure that was the pretext, but the way she said it was pretty obnoxious.

Df2SMpsX0AIgctR.jpg

3 minutes ago, nevermore said:

Sure that was the pretext, but the way she said it was pretty obnoxious.

Df2SMpsX0AIgctR.jpg

Hmmm, this isn't a good look. Isn't singling out a race / gender for a specific thing considered racial / gender discrimination? I'm sure there are alot of critics who aren't "40 year old white dude"? 

Edited by DMan7

4 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

Hmmm, this isn't a good look. Isn't singling out a race / gender for a specific thing considered racial / gender discrimination? I'm sure there are alot of critics who aren't "40 year old white dude"? 

Exactly. She's going overboard with virtue signaling, which is never turns out good.

9 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Brie is 100% right. Film criticism needs more diverse voices.

Yes, Film criticism would definetly benefit from more diverse opinions.

But calling the opinion of a "40-year old white dude" essentially worthless is nothing other than discrimination. So Brie Larsons point in general is fair, her choice of words is poor.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1