PDC1987

Diversity and Gender Representation in Movies

Huh, Jodie Foster is gay? :o

And I'm pretty sure the Kristen Stewart stuff is just rumours. I believe them but they're just rumours.

You didn't know Jodie was gay? :P

what about Rupert Everett and Nathan Lane? they aren't exactly A-listers, but they are well known actors. and of course Ian McKellen, and Neil Patrick Harris. 

Edited by Kalo

There are a lot of gay actors in Hollywood but still no A list, some are famous but never the big stars.

Strangely, in music, this isn t an issue.

Tom Hardy hinted that he experimented in his youth I think...

There are a lot of gay actors in Hollywood but still no A list, some are famous but never the big stars.

Strangely, in music, this isn t an issue.

Tom Hardy hinted that he experimented in his youth I think...

Yup he did, flat out said so actually. 

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

No.. Sorry to say, but as a teenager, even young adult, I never had a desire to have some dude give me a blowjob or was attracted to another male.. Amazing what different Generation's have an appeal for..

The more accurate question is: which male WOULD want to give you a blowjob?

• Like 4

Meow.

I know people mostly think of movie stars, but Ellen is huge.

This, pretty much. Kind of remarkable how she became so huge after being reduced to a pariah of sorts for a time after she came out. But this thread is about actors and she isn't really considered one today (her most recent movie is 2003's Finding Nemo and her next movie is...2016's Finding Dory).

• Like 1

It is funny - or actually not so funny - how so many posts in such threads seem to be either some snarky or ironic joke or the prediciton of the threads' coming failure.

And before someone has even tried to contribute to the discussion you can already read things such as "people are too easily offended nowadays". 

The reason it is almost impossible to discuss diversity (or similar topics) on the internet is not people getting too easily offended but the trolling even by normal people who tell everyone afterwards that it was just a joke and people should chill out.

Imho it is certainly a topic that needs to be discussed in "liberal Hollywood".

The example of Emma Watson's UN invovlement shows, however, how quickly people who do it will be attacked and offended in the most pathetic ways imaginable (especially online) - usually by trying to make the discussion about something else, by questioning the intentions and motivations of the people who bring it up, by labelling them and their supporters as extremists, elitists or simply people who cannot take jokes.

The quote posted in the opening post I wouldn't sign... I simply dislike it when one minority or ethnic group is played out against the other.

I was shocked during my work with young LGBTQ people how much prejudice there is even among them: gay people telling the more colourful people that it is them who make it so hard for "the normal gays", and the more colourful people telling those who are closer to what is perceived as an average person to be stuffy traitors. 

In Hollywood many people seem to like to speak on behalf of all these groups and their issues... but letting them speak for themselves is something many seem to have a problem with.

Edited by ShouldIBeHere
  • Like 8

Its an important issue however throwing in diverse actors to simply fill a quota and to make them fulfill racial stereotypes is just as stupid.

Rather have an all white cast then a random secondary black or Indian guy who talks funny.

I like Fast and Furious as it works well and it looks natural.

However I do sort of notice it.... Now to start a flame war...

Nolans movies are like all white lol. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Its an important issue however throwing in diverse actors to simply fill a quota and to make them fulfill racial stereotypes is just as stupid.

Rather have an all white cast then a random secondary black or Indian guy who talks funny.

Dileep Rao and Morgan Freeman? :P

I do agree that racist stereotypes are worse than no representation at all though.

tumblr_mm29hwfyn31r11p62o1_500.gif

It's kind of problematic when Not Another Teen Movie has to call out on Hollywood bull.

Sadly pretty all blockbusters all white DC, Marvel, Nolan, Star Wars, Transformers, PotC. Fasts and Furiuos is basically the only racial and gender diverse franchise.