PDC1987

Diversity and Gender Representation in Movies

3 minutes ago, Royce said:

What if it happens organically? There was no indication in the first movie that she was straight

She was locked up in her room with no time to even meet people

Idk why people are threatened by the idea

We already have a straight couple (who even kiss, not just a peck but an actual smooch) yet if Elsa is gay then suddenly it's "sexual and not appropriate for kids" ??

Just say you're homophobic and go...

Lol, no one cares. The colour of skin or sexual preference of anyone shouldn't matter one bit.

Filmmakers themselves should decide what is good about their stories and characters*. Anyone trying to persuade them one way or the other is the real culprit here.

* And then the public judges how good the story is.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ElsaRoc said:

Uh, that's not what "strong female character" means.

I just saw the movie and Alita is indeed 100% what I see as strong human being that I admire. She is very much like the main characters in my own novels (because she is created by writers who know the rules of good stories).

So I'm gonna have to ask you to back your claim.

On 2/15/2019 at 9:53 AM, shayhiri said:

A sci-fi story - you can have a whole planet of gays. :) It can even be a high concept: how and why they got this way and how do they procreate. But it doesn't sound very appealing even with a high concept, right? ;)

First, you call them "gays" and then talk about them like they are some unknown species. Shay why don't you just say that you are homophobic? If these are the ideas you come up with, I also pity the poor souls who read your books.

And it is pretty clear that you think Alita is a strong female character for one reason (not saying she is or she isn't because I haven't seen the movie but it is clear that you wouldn't be saying any of that if James Cameron's name wasn't attached to the movie).

4 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

First, you call them "gays" and then talk about them like they are some unknown species. Shay why don't you just say that you are homophobic? If these are the ideas you come up with, I also pity the poor souls who read your books.

And it is pretty clear that you think Alita is a strong female character for one reason (not saying she is or she isn't because I haven't seen the movie but it is clear that you wouldn't be saying any of that if James Cameron's name wasn't attached to the movie).

Now you're just getting repulsive. In which case I usually never answer, but... jeez, man the fuck up, dude!

Everyone should see Alita, even you. So you, people, will know how a pure female character looks. It makes absolutely zero difference who wrote her.

Edited by shayhiri

23 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Now you're just getting repulsive. In which case I usually never answer, but... jeez, man the fuck up, dude!

Everyone should see Alita, even you. So you, people, will know how a pure female character looks. It makes absolutely zero difference who wrote her.

I am repulsive? Shay, your blatant homophobia is the repulsive shit here. 

And you aren't a woman, so you have no clue what a 'pure' female character is like. How the hell would you know what makes a woman a woman? Yeah, it doesn't matter who writes a female character. Never said that it does.

Well I hate how you western people always force LGBT theme in book (even children book) and movie. 

You can call me homophobic but I prefer the word conservative.  I don't hate LGBT person. Many years ago my wife boss is a gay and I don't have any positive or negative feeling about it. I also have witness two guy hanging out very close in the mall and I just thought wow and that it.

I teach my kid to respect everybody.

But I just don't like how you have to insert LGBT theme in the children book and movies. 

In my opinion just because you guys so want to push LGBT agenda around the world it cause backlash in conservative countries.  Many years ago there were no much tension regarding gay persons in my country but now many people hate everything about LGBT and have prejudice about LGBT. Some really conservative people even push to include LGBT in criminal law.

As for Frozen II, you make Elsa openly gay and you can say good bye to many countries in the world. It will not get the show in many conservative counties as it will not pass the censored 

Honestly, whenever I see a diverse cast, even though, I'm a minority, it takes me out of the movie. The purpose and goals are noble but I can't help but think "ok, this was a liberal/progressive thing." Solving bias with bias.

Especially with homosexual stuff. It gets needlessly inserted into scenes and situations. Thank God for the fast forward button, especially if my kids are watching.  I just wonder if Lord of the Rings was made in 2019, would Aragorn for instance be black. Again, I'm a minority and theoretically this all benefits me. It just rings false and forced. I can't help but be jolted out of the fantasy state when I see what I perceive to be a studio decision at work.

• ...wtf 1