#ED

Wknd Est: F7 - 29M, PB:MC2 - 24M, UF - 16M | China: F7 - 93.3M Wknd

Universal/Blumhouse latest horror film Unfriended grossed $656K which previewed at 8 PM last night before releasing wide in 2,739 theaters today. It previewed in 2,019 theaters. We are still awaiting Sony Pictures’ comedy sequel Paul Blart Mall Cop 2late night preview grosses which will arrive very shortly. The comedy bowed in a 7 PM preview on roughly 2,596 screens. Both face stiff competition of Furious 7‘s third weekend of play as the gearhead mash-up is racing to the $1B mark globally and took in approximately $2.9M last night on 4,o22 screens. It is still playing on IMAX. So while we wait for Sony to weigh in on Mall Cop, let’s look at Unfriended.

Deadline.com

Edited by #ED

:lol:

Cjohn, where do I find this Preview - OW Calculator of yours?  :ph34r:

I could tell you but I would have to kill you.  :ph34r:

Longest Ride did 625k last weekend. I assume this will be as or more frontloaded than that one. 

I know a TON of people at school are super hyped about this movie. Especially the Twitter freaks and the girls who are always on Instagram during class.

But yea based on those numbers, I would say it opens between Lazurus and Alpha's prediction. 14-16 sounds right (sadly half of what I was predicting before).

Edited by DAJK

Universal/Blumhouse latest horror film Unfriended grossed $656K which previewed at 8 PM last night before releasing wide in 2,739 theaters today. It previewed in 2,019 theaters. We are still awaiting Sony Pictures’ comedy sequel Paul Blart Mall Cop 2late night preview grosses which will arrive very shortly. The comedy bowed in a 7 PM preview on roughly 2,596 screens. Both face stiff competition of Furious 7‘s third weekend of play as the gearhead mash-up is racing to the $1B mark globally and took in approximately $2.9M last night on 4,o22 screens. It is still playing on IMAX. So while we wait for Sony to weigh in on Mall Cop, let’s look at Unfriended.

Is this from Deadline?

UPDATED, Friday, 8:08 AM: Sony Pictures’ just reported late night Thursday numbers for its Kevin James-starring comedy Paul Blart Mall Cop 2 which segwayed in with a preview gross of $450K. The comedy bowed in a 7 PM preview on roughly 2,619 screens. It’s been difficult to find a comp for this one, but general thinking among people smarter than I is to look at Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. That one grossed $5.3M on Friday in October of last year on its way to an $18.3M three-day opening weekend. Three Stooges is another comp which opened to $17M in April of 2012. Paul Blart Mall Cop 2 will be in roughly 3,633 locales today. That late night number is not bad and is heading to a high-teen to $20M three-day opening.

http://deadline.com/2015/04/paul-blart-mall-cop-2-unfriended-late-night-thursday-box-office-1201411225/

Edited by abra
  • Like 2

Paul Blart is aimed at families, so it probably had deflated preview numbers.

Also a bit disappointed by Unfriended's numbers. It's a surprisingly great movie. I'm guessing the R rating mugh have really hurt it.

Edited by Spaghetti

Yup! We had 8 people come to it!

Wow not good :( (or is it)

I would be seeing it if it were playing at my theatre. Bears didn't show up until May, so hoping its the same with Monkey Kingdom.

Also a bit disappointed by Unfriended's numbers. It's a surprisingly great movie. I'm guessing the R rating mugh have really hurt it.

That's most likely the case. It had all the characteristics of a teen horror movie, and yet because of that the R rated prevented the majority of it's target audience from seeing it.