kayumanggi

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-verse | 12.14.2018 | Sony | Phil Lord and Chris Miller

58 minutes ago, hasanahmad said:

I do not think this movie will do as well as normal comic books. probably will end up around 140-150 Domestic. There just does NOT seem to be any hype outside of nerddom

that's a great number regardless since the budget is only 90M. It assures sequel and spin-offs go-ahead (not just marketing ploy to boost the hype). 

5 minutes ago, Premium George said:

What's the point you are trying to make? All three lego movies did less OS, not increasing that franchise potential at all. Going in reasons why, will not change that. And I don't think first movie humor was that american centric or sarcastic to completely turn off other markets. As for voice actors, zootopia exists with a not so famous cast. I don't think, it plays much of a roll with decent to good voice acting in almost all animation blockbusters.

Disney does not need it, but again you are not going against my point at all Zootopia didn't do specially high domestic versus the rest of the world, didn't had a famous cast.

The point I was trying to make: Lego high domestic % is not necessarily due to the Lego being a much bigger franchise US than foreign, there was many element of those movie that tend to make them biggest domestic than foreign.

I was not saying 2014 Pratt or Arnett are giant famous factor, simply speculating that they did a better job in English (were they overperformed) than the dubbed version and that those 2 movies were in part sold on the lead comedic performance, like it is really common with that type of comedies.

Obviously nothing about any of this (talking on the Internet) never change anything.....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

that's a great number regardless since the budget is only 90M. It assures sequel and spin-offs go-ahead (not just marketing ploy to boost the hype). 

If that rumors is truth that show quite the evolution in cost for those in the last 10 year's, the first Cloudy movie was around 136M-140M net budget in 2018 dollars.

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

If that rumors is truth that show quite the evolution in cost for those in the last 10 year's, the first Cloudy movie was around 136M-140M net budget in 2018 dollars.

Spiderverse also has no star voices which cost more even with pay cuts. 

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Disney does not need it, but again you are not going against my point at all Zootopia didn't do specially high domestic versus the rest of the world, didn't had a famous cast.

The point I was trying to make: Lego high domestic % is not necessarily due to the Lego being a much bigger franchise US than foreign, there was many element of those movie that tend to make them biggest domestic than foreign.

I was not saying 2014 Pratt or Arnett are giant famous factor, simply speculating that they did a better job in English (were they overperformed) than the dubbed version and that those 2 movies were in part sold on the lead comedic performance, like it is really common with that type of comedies.

Obviously nothing about any of this (talking on the Internet) never change anything.....

In the case, doesn't spiderverse have only one thing that can decrease it's box office potential, a pretty big reason, it's animation. None of the Lego movies reasons apply to it. 

2 minutes ago, Premium George said:

In the case, doesn't spiderverse have only one thing that can decrease it's box office potential, a pretty big reason, it's animation. None of the Lego movies reasons apply to it. 

Yep animation and it is not the dreamwork/pixar established animation that attract family audience look either. Not being a full on SpiderMan movie and a bit confusing proposition of having many of them could also be a factor among many audience, "easier" to skip.

There isn't much link between Lego movies and this (not sure were it started from, was probably talking about Dom/Oversea ratio prediction)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

How does those 2 element not helping the movies (I would add the trailer reception to that list) ?

I would imagine those voice actor are paid millions on those movies for a reason.

I meant as in no one was going “Oh hey, Chris Pratt! I have to see this now!”

5 minutes ago, nick64 said:

I meant as in no one was going “Oh hey, Chris Pratt! I have to see this now!”

I imagine that to be true, but I am not sure it is relevant, people didn't say "Oh hey, that a John Williams score, I have to see this now", but I did help many movies box office a big way.

Everything that is feature in a trailer can help an OW and obviously anything in a movie can help legs and anything that change between markets can participate into changing how popular a movie is in them, one supposed that Lego was a small franchise overseas and a giant one domestic explaining the Lego movie being domestic heavy. I speculate that it is extremely common for comedy to play 60-80% domestic, those one not being particularly domestic heavy for a comedy but still heavy isn't necessarily because of the weakness of the Lego brand worldwide but a lot for being that type of comedy and maybe the dubbed versions not being as good (voice acting, text, etc... they are not always easy to translate and there is often less resources, less test screenings, etc.... made). 

Lego being the biggest worldwide toy brand making the original statement suspicious to me. I could be obviously all wrong about Lego popularity oversea.

There are screenings happening at select amc theaters for anyone to purchase a ticket this Friday and Saturday. Only one showing is available though for each day and the theater list seems limited. AMC a*list is useable for it.

Edited by YLF