kayumanggi

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-verse | 12.14.2018 | Sony | Phil Lord and Chris Miller

After 67 RT critic ratings this is still at 100% positive reviews and has a 9/10 score. This is astonishing. If any of you really think this won't be a hit in the US then idk what to say. It is the ONLY animated film coming out this winter season. WOM from people that have seen it has been unanimous in its praise of the film. This isn't just about OW, folks. This is about the long game as well... akin to The Greatest Showman and Jumanji

Edited by YLF
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

14 minutes ago, expensiveho said:

Is it fair to say this is the Oscar frontrunner?  Incredibles and Ralph got great reception but it wasn't as universal as Inside Out, Zootopia and Coco. 

I would hope so but you never can be sure considering it's not a Disney film. Rango won cause neither Cars 2 nor Winnie the Pooh were nominated that year.

4 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I would hope so but you never can be sure considering it's not a Disney film. Rango won cause neither Cars 2 nor Winnie the Pooh were nominated that year.

All I know is that if this movie doesn’t win, they might as well exclusively nominate Disney films for the BAF category moving forward. I may not have seen this movie yet, but with the kind of reception it’s been getting, it seems like it should be the favorite to take home the Oscar. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

All I know is that if this movie doesn’t win, they might as well exclusively nominate Disney films for the BAF category moving forward. I may not have seen this movie yet, but with the kind of reception it’s been getting, it seems like it should be the favorite to take home the Oscar. 

Certainly easily my favourite animated movie of the year

2 hours ago, YLF said:

It is the ONLY animated film coming out this winter season. 

Mary Poppins will serve a large portion of the family/animated crowd.

That said, yes, it's certainly primed to be a hit. The fact that expectations seem to be generally "low" for Into The Spider-Verse right now give it an even smaller benchmark to hit to be called a success. The low expectations will make it's eventual numbers look even better.

• Like 2

Just got back from my screening and enjoyed it a lot. Which, y'know, no freaking duh. I like Lord & Miller, I like animation, I like Spider-Man (even if I've not been the fondest of any of the live-action movies). So I was pretty confident I'd enjoy this and I definitely got what I was expecting.

Honestly, the movie reminded me of the LEGO Movie in a lot of ways and not just because of Lord & Miller's involvement. You have the colourful cast and unique animation style, yeah, but you also have the surprisingly strong structure/pacing, a fairly empathetic main character (Miles in this case,) for whom, in spite of the colourful cast, the film ultimately very clearly revolves around and who has the big, dramatic and surprisingly well-constructed emotional payoff related to the central subject (LEGO/Spiderman). I'm not sure yet whether I prefer it to the LEGO movie (I think it does some things better (Miles's emotional journey) and some not quite as well (minus Peter B. Parker and Gwen, the quirky side cast feels a touch underutilised), but the fact that it's on the same level certainly says a lot.

Also the animation is excellent. Very pop and punchy and great to watch. I've always felt that animation has a lot more freedom than live-action and this is an excellent example as to why. It fits the quick webslinging Spidey action to a tee and never felt too difficult to follow (which was something I was a touch worried about watching the trailer). Then again, maybe I'm just a touch biased towards animated Spideys, having grown up on the 90's animated tv show.

Honestly, I think the thing I appreciate most about this is just how fresh and different it feels from typical Spiderman media. I know we all complain about the movies jumping back to Peter Parker in high school again and again, so this movie doesn't bother with it. Instead we get a bunch of different scenarios to explore instead, Peter as an adult, Peter as a semi-washed out schlub, Miles in high school (which carries a lot of important differences/different family dynamics than Peter) and so on. And it really does make an enormously positive difference. This is the sort of thing Sony should've been aiming for for their Spider-Man cinematic universe the whole time. Not scrounging for villains/side-characters and trying to get them to hold their own movies, but by taking the existing characters we know and love out of their comfort zones and putting them in unique and different scenarios. I'm honestly excited to see a standalone Miles Morales movie now, as well as a Spider-Gwen one or one with Peter as a proper adult. And as someone getting tired of the constant teenage Peter (as much as I like Tom Holland), this was a pleasant reminder of everything the franchise could be.

So yeah. S'good movie. Best cinematic Spidey. Go watch it.

• Like 9