kayumanggi

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-verse | 12.14.2018 | Sony | Phil Lord and Chris Miller

reviews or not i'm willing to bet most academy members won't even watch this. i think the people who aren't in the animation branch probably vote on that category blind. every year those anonymous oscar ballots are always "lol i didn't watch these but pixar is meant to be good, right?"

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Would Isle of Dogs officially count as a Disney movie by the time the Oscars come around? 

I wouldn't count it. This is how it's like in my eyes: Disney films are by WDAS, Pixar films are by Pixar, and Wes Anderson's animated films are by Wes Anderson (or, if you're looking for a studio, Indian Paintbrush). What I'm saying is this: I don't think Fox being owned by Disney would make certain animated films "Disney films". That's not how it was for Studio Ghibli films when Disney/Touchstone was handling distribution for those films; in that moment, some may havr referred to Ponyo or The Secret World of Arriety as 'Disney films', but as time marched forward, their status reveryed back to 'Studio Ghibli' film. I think it's a matter of public conscience, but I highly doubt the public conscience would want to refer to Fantastic Mr. Fox and Isle of Dogs as Disney films, at leady in this current moment.

So, Atom tickets made me a deal I couldn't refuse for this Wednesday...and all of your glowing and mostly glowing praise (and my youngest and spouse) have pushed me to buy 6 tickets for this.  I'm taking my motion sickness meds beforehand, and hoping this is as great as everyone says.  If not, I'm only out $22.80 for the 6 of us ($7 off any ticket through Chase Pay...and it applies across 2 tickets til you hit $7, so yeah for cheap Wednesday and 2 Chase Visa cards:)...So, I'm gonna do my part to help the legs:)...

PS - If you don't have Aquaman tickets, you can combine this deal with $5 off 2 tickets...but you do have to choose which you want, b/c this deal is 1x/person...but if you did it in November, you can do it again:)...

PPS - And this deal earned me another 2 free tickets b/c I finally hit my "but 4 tickets, get 1 free" on Atom right before the end of the year...so since we are doing MP2 with my mom (I think), and we have Aquaman and Spidey done, it might actually be time for a date night to an adult movie (maybe the Mule...although Marwen seemed crazy original. too...both concepts are appealing to my desire to not see "the same old, same old":)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

I think this is not only the best Spider-Man but one of the best CBMs as well as one of the best animated movies. This was perfection congratulations Ramsey, Rothman and Persichetti 

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

I don't think this will have as great of legs as we think. 

Someone said geekiest movie seen since Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, that was the first movie I thought off when someone asked if SpiderVerse could have been made in live action question.

And I think it is a good comparable, SpiderVerse is a bit better and hold is premise/energy more through the end, while maybe because of the live action Scott Pilgrim slowed down, but they are comparable in many ways.

Quite the geeks movies, very well received and reached is target audience OW, will it spread out of it and do significantly better than a 3.5x type of multi ? I am not so sure either.

The movie already looked extremely good from the trailer and reviews, good word of mouth will not be "news" or a new variable, it was fully expected, it is just a bit better than expected.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Barnack said:

Someone said geekiest movie seen since Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, that was the first movie I thought off when someone asked if SpiderVerse could have been made in live action question.

And I think it is a good comparable, SpiderVerse is a bit better and hold is premise/energy more through the end, while maybe because of the live action Scott Pilgrim slowed down, but they are comparable in many ways.

Quite the geeks movies, very well received and reached is target audience OW, will it spread out of it and do significantly better than a 3.5x type of multi ? I am not so sure either.

The movie already looked extremely good from the trailer and reviews, good word of mouth will not be "news" or a new variable, it was fully expected, it is just a bit better than expected.

Barnack, I believe you're the most intelligent poster on this forum. Do you foresee a road to profitability? 

42 minutes ago, Welfin said:

Do you foresee a road to profitability? 

Historically movie making more at the domestic box office than their budget (when the budget is a significantly big one) tend to always have a possible road for it.

No idea how true that rumored 90M budget is but if it is closest Sony animated project to give some reference.

Cloudy 2

Net Budget : 82M, with a 96M world release.

The studio estimated that it needed to do 188.8M world wide (75.5m dbo, 113.3m intl) to break even

It ended up making 56.75M in net profit for the studio after that performance:

Domestic:  $119,793,567    43.7%
Foreign:  $154,532,382    56.3%

Worldwide:  $274,325,949  

This will be significantly more domestic heavy so depending how much they spent on the Intl release (with the help of product placement /partnership  deal could have stayed reasonable) it could have a similar break even WW point despite the 10% higher budget, let say that no one is getting first dollar gross and it need to do 10% more than Cloudy 2 from is theatrical return, 93m instead of cloudy 2 85m rental.

If it does a really reasonable 3.5x multi (A+ cinemascore, holidays legs), that put it at 123.725m domestic, it would need to do 68M intl or say 56m+25m in China.

I think it should be able to do significantly more than that, movie that do significantly above budget at the domestic, tend to be well ok.

13 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Just saw this and it kicked every other superhero movie's fucking ass this year. Possibly the best Marvel movie ever made.

I’m going to be pretty annoyed if Black Panther wins Best Picture, but this doesn’t win Best Animated Film. I like Black Panther fine, but if there’s any CBM of 2018 that the Academy should be gushing over, it’s this one. 

• Like 1

OMG, this is the worst movie ever!

Much worse than expected!!

Shouldn't have seen it. Big mistake! BIG mistake!! And to think I went to the best screen possible - for this trash!!

So, this is, officially and SHAYficially:

1. worst looking animated movie ever (even worse than LEGO!!)

2. worst looking ANY movie ever

3. worst superhero movie ever (at least worst Marvel, lol - it's still better than DC movies)

Ergo, the Shay is so glad it crashed and burned - even in braindead America (and no one else would see it)! Because no one in their right mind should pay for Cartoon Network on the big screen - so none of these should ever be made again. :)

Edited by shayhiri
  • Disbelief 1

5 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

OMG, this is the worse movie ever!

Much worse than expected!!

Shouldn't have seen it. Big mistake! BIG mistake!! And to think I went to the best screen possible - for this trash!!

So, this is, officially and SHAYficially:

1. worse looking animated movie ever (even worse than LEGO!!)

2. worse looking ANY movie ever

3. worse superhero movie ever (at least worst Marvel, lol - it's still better than DC movies)

Ergo, the Shay is so glad it crashed and burned - even in braindead America (and no one else would see it)! Because no one in their right mind should pay for Cartoon Network on the big screen - so none of these should ever be made again. :)

Cartoon Network? That’s a weird association.