kayumanggi

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-verse | 12.14.2018 | Sony | Phil Lord and Chris Miller

5 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

You know, I wanna like this movie...Spidey (as both Peter and Myles) is one of my favorite characters...but I saw the extended scene at the end of Venom today...and I hated it.  It looks like a cross between a video game movie and a epileptic seizure causing mess...I was getting a headache watching just 5 minutes of the screen, and I found it almost ugly.  This pains me, but I couldn't get past the look to get into any of the "story."  I wish they'd have chosen any other animation style b/c this one is just not working for me...

You know what’s funny, we got the spiderverse trailer before venom and it was good but my wife and older son said the exact thing as you about the extended scene. 

• Like 2

On 10/6/2018 at 2:18 PM, TwoMisfits said:

You know, I wanna like this movie...Spidey (as both Peter and Myles) is one of my favorite characters...but I saw the extended scene at the end of Venom today...and I hated it.  It looks like a cross between a video game movie and a epileptic seizure causing mess...I was getting a headache watching just 5 minutes of the screen, and I found it almost ugly.  This pains me, but I couldn't get past the look to get into any of the "story."  I wish they'd have chosen any other animation style b/c this one is just not working for me...

see, I think this is very interesting because to me, I've loved the art style they've chosen but have had a problem with the trailer editing giving me a headache on the big screen. I was still a little worried about it but the Venom clip sold me on it. Personally for me it seems like they've edited in a way that the art style won't be too jarring at least for me. That said, I've always been on board with this art style and find this to be one of the most gorgeous CG movies in recent memory. Besides Coco and Moana, it's hard to see something matching what this is doing.

BTW, clip was great, new trailer is phenomenal. So hyped for this.

• Like 1

yeah this is more kiddie than I thought it was originally going to be and the extended part at the end of Venom didn't make it seem like something I need to see in the theaters.  The crowd that stayed didn't seem too crazy about it either.

HOWEVER, I do think it looks good for what it is, but I'll wait for blu ray or whatever streaming service will have it.

On 10/8/2018 at 7:03 PM, filmlover said:

I'll see this but it clearly isn't gonna have mass appeal. The Princess and the Frog comparison above makes sense.

Not sure about that, the trailers are getting a lot of buzz. But what is the bar for success anyway, $150M DOM?

Edited by MrGlass2

This looks absolutely atrocious.

Not sure what they were going for with this "pixelization"(pixel art ?) of the image but damn it s quite ugly.

Resolution is in 0,001 K for this it seems, so retro yay !

I am sorry to announce but being different is not enough to look good.

:gold::puke:

Edited by The Futurist
  • Knock It Off 1

6 hours ago, The Futurist said:

This looks absolutely atrocious.

Not sure what they were going for with this "pixelization"(pixel art ?) of the image but damn it s quite ugly.

Resolution is in 0,001 K for this it seems, so retro yay !

I am sorry to announce but being different is not enough to look good.

Do you really do not know what pixel and resolution are ?

You were probably looking for a cell-shaded look and not pixelization.

Your impression will probably be common among the general audience, is any computer style animated movie that didn't follow the early dreamwork/pixar style ever did well at the box office ?

Edited by Barnack

16 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

Not sure about that, the trailers are getting a lot of buzz. But what is the bar for success anyway, $150M DOM?

It all depends on how much they spent on the film. Success is determined by how much it made in reference to how much it cost. 150 million sounds successful, but if the film cost 160 to make, not so much.

Edited by dudalb

16 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

Would a mix of the Batman lego movie be a somewhat relevant comp for the maximum ceiling ?

I would expect this to be a less domestic heavy output (well it is not an Peter Parker spider man so I do not know how much of the giant intl appeal SpiderMan has need him to work)

That did 175 dbo / 136 intl.

I could see this closer to 125 /185  (same total but shifting 50m around)

Cloudy 2 did 120 / 155, for an other source of Lord-Miller/Sony animated output.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

Would a mix of the Batman lego movie be a somewhat relevant comp for the maximum ceiling ?

I would expect this to be a less domestic heavy output (well it is not an Peter Parker spider man so I do not know how much of the giant intl appeal SpiderMan has need him to work)

Cloudy 2 did 120 / 155, for an other source of Lord-Miller/Sony animated output.

I think $50m Dom total is the limit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

I think Lego Bats is the max for the movie...while it's a kid movie at Christmas (and maybe adults go, but they haven't seemed to fully embrace supers animation even when it's been awesome), it could run into the same problem Ferdinand did last year.  Even though it was the animated release, it still had to compete with so many family-focused movies that it never really broke it.  The combo of Aquaman and Mary Poppins might be the same 1-2 punch that TLJ and Jumanji had last year...and I'm not even mentioning Bumblebee, b/c well, I'm not mentioning Bumblebee:)...

• Sad 1