kayumanggi

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-verse | 12.14.2018 | Sony | Phil Lord and Chris Miller

On 12/9/2017 at 3:26 PM, Slambros said:

These are absolutely beautiful visuals. However, they need to focus on telling a complete story before rushing into a cinematic universe. That's why the title worries me. Because I don't really care how accomplished the visuals are. If critics thumb it down for trying to set up sequels just like King Arthur and The Mummy did, I'm seeing something else. It's not like I won't have options (Mortal Engines, Mary Poppins).

Man, am I glad I was wrong.

Just got back from a preview screening in UK...

Firstly the trailers were okay to me but nothing exciting, I didn't like the look of it from the trailers...

Coming out of it... Oh wow. Just WOW WOW WOW... You must go see this, whatever you do, honestly this might actually become my favourite Spider-Man movie....

I genuinely think this could take off and hit $300m+ over the holidays. Watch out Jumanji 2, Spidey is coming to reclaim his title as Sony's biggest domestic :D  

• Like 3
  • Astonished 3

21 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

Just got back from a preview screening in UK...

Firstly the trailers were okay to me but nothing exciting, I didn't like the look of it from the trailers...

Coming out of it... Oh wow. Just WOW WOW WOW... You must go see this, whatever you do, honestly this might actually become my favourite Spider-Man movie....

I genuinely think this could take off and hit $300m+ over the holidays. Watch out Jumanji 2, Spidey is coming to reclaim his title as Sony's biggest domestic :D  

Spidey and us are just fine where they are with Sony 

Got back from the early screening, and this film is just magnificent. If you loved the trailers and have been excited for this movie, you’re going to love it. It’s everything you want and more. I just got out and I’m already itching to see it again. Also this movie is going to be huge. Nothing but smiling faces and positive responses from people exiting the theater.

2 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Well @Jayhawk and @MrPink give us the deets

It's good, very good even. I wouldn't worry on this trying to create some giant universe, it's surprisingly self contained and works very well as a standalone film. Plenty of dramatic/poignant moments and the jokes of course land. Not as heavy on references as you'd expect, compared to say the Lego Movie so it'll hold up better on rewatches. Since the story isn't built on some jokey premise, it's got a full arc for Miles and works out really well. Nic Cage is the best Spider-Man. Also some cool other voice cameos I wasn't personally aware of

I don't really have anything objectionable with it, those who are a little more versed in Spider-Man are probably gonna love it more than I do, for me, I'd probably rank it #2 in my Spider-Man films, with 2 being my favorite.

Random note, some parts are very blurry almost having me question if the IMAX screen was going back and forth between a 3D projection and 2D, haha, but I guess it was intentional

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 7

I’m just getting back home from the screening. The movie is really good! If you’re a major fan of Spider-Man you’re going to love it. It really pays homage to the original Spider-Man. Most of the references went over my head— but the people in my theater seemed to recognize most of them, they were laughing at them throughout the entire movie. Also, the movie made me want to read a spider noir comic book now, it seems unique. It was kind of shocking to me that 99% of the people attending the screening I went to were adults. There were only a few kids that were at the screening.

I forced my friend to go with me to see this even though he was really apprehensive about it. He did not like the trailers and thought it looked terrible. He ended up really like it.

Edited by YLF
  • Like 1

It seems like Spiderverse is opening in 3,400+ theaters. Which marks it the lowest theater count of all the Spider-Man films in general, which might result a not so spectacular OW for this Spidey.

Ouch! 🤕:gold:

Though, to be fair: the theater count might go higher.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

1 hour ago, YLF said:

It was kind of shocking to me that 99% of the people attending the screening I went to were adults. There were only a few kids that were at the screening.

This is what I expect to happen and why I think the movie won't be as big as these guys make it out to be. Kids aren't going to find this movie interesting. They are a lot more interested in normal CGI animation. Even shit films like Boss Baby and all Illumination films do good because the simple animation is interesting for little kids.

The movie will skew towards a more adult audience and I don't think that is very good for the box office of an animated film.

4 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

It seems like Spiderverse is opening in 3,400+ theaters. Which marks it the lowest theater count of all the Spider-Man films in general, which might result a not so spectacular OW for this Spidey.

Ouch! 🤕:gold:

Though, to be fair: the theater count might go higher.

theater count may go higher but PTA is the key. if it plays to full houses than it can get huge result from less theaters. remember, many huge openers in the past had around 3500 theaters. 4000 and up is a novelty of last 10 years or so. 

Either way, it's guaranteed to add theaters during holidays. They have to cut lots of holdovers who aren't up for the awards to accommodate new arrivals.

4 hours ago, KP1025 said:

I really enjoyed this. The animation style took a while to get used to in the theater (made me dizzy at first), but the visuals were really unique and impressive overall. Fantastic pacing, and a great mix of action, comedy, and emotion.

Thanks for this review...I was thinking I would change my mind seeing the reviews, but between the previous poster's take that some parts are blurry and then you felt dizzy...ummm, my motion sickness would kill me here...seems like a tv viewing, so I can pause it if my eyes need a "horizon" break...

https://deadline.com/2018/12/ralph-breaks-the-internet-the-favourite-emma-stone-rachel-weisz-weekend-box-office-1202516270/

Sony’s Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Versewhich is already an awards contender out of the gate with a Golden Globe animated film nomination and NY Film Critics Circle win for Best Animated Film, held paid sneaks last night at 7PM and again today at 2PM. Projection metrics show around a $35M No. 1 opening next weekend.

• Like 3