kayumanggi

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-verse | 12.14.2018 | Sony | Phil Lord and Chris Miller

Just now, Jonwo said:

That's an awful title, why not Spider-Man: The Animated Movie

I like it. It’ll help distinguish it from the live action movie. Besides the Spiderverse concept can be appealing.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sam said:

It means this movie is in the same universe as MCU

feige.jpg

44 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I'm not going to pretend I have any clue what that subtitle means. 

The Spiderverse is a giant crossover of Spider-Men and Spider-Women teaming up.

I wonder if it’ll be Sony Animation’s first movie over $200M. @Jonwo @Fancyarcher Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Just now, Chewy said:

It means TOYS

Avi Arad is a producer on this, right? :hahaha:

But Gods Lord and Miller are behind it, other well respected people in the world of animation and Miles Morales getting some love.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

But Gods Lord and Miller are behind it, other well respected people in the world of animation and Miles Morales getting some love.

What hope do L & M have when even Raimi eventually got done in by Arad?

There's a reason Marvel basically kicked him off the main Spider flicks.

Edited by Orestes
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

If they were gods they wouldn't have been fired from Solo.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, Orestes said:

What hope do L & M have when even Raimi eventually got done in by Arad?

There's a reason Marvel kicked him off the main Spider flicks.

They are writing this, besides even if he’s producing it I doubt it’ll effect quality. I trust Lord and Miller, Hirsch and Peter Ramsey to deliver a quality film.

BTW folks who are looking: this’ll be the animated movie I stan for next year.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

The Spiderverse is a giant crossover of Spider-Men and Spider-Women teaming up.

I wonder if it’ll be Sony Animation’s first movie over $200M. @Jonwo @Fancyarcher Any thoughts?

Depends on reviews. The Christmas release should help, but having Spider-Man in the name isn't gonna automatically propel it to 200m as we've seen with Lego Batman. It's it great like The Lego Movie was though, I can see it doing really well. Having Miles Morales as the main Spider-Man seems like a good idea too.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Chewy said:

It means TOYS

Avi Arad is a producer on this, right? :hahaha:

Sony no longer has the merchandising rights to Spider-Man. They had sold it back to Marvel even before the TASM films just to stay afloat back then (2011): http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/02/02/sony-admits-selling-spider-man-merchandising-rights-were-short-s/

While the franchise is again in fan's good graces with a reintroduction in Captain America: Civil War and an upcoming solo venture in Spider-Man: Homecoming, Sony admits they would have made different decisions in hindsight.

Most of that regret comes in the form of merchandising, something Sony sold to Marvel back in 2011 in return for needed cash.

Kenichiro Yoshida, Sony's chief financial officer, spoke on an earnings call and admitted that the decision to let those go was a bad one (via The Wall Street Journal). “We had sold some assets of the studio, such as merchandising rights of Spider-Man, to raise short-term cash in exchange for long-term cash flow when the electronics units were struggling,” he said.

Arad cannot profit any more from toy sales as he has resigned from Marvel.

1 minute ago, Spidey Freak said:

Sony no longer has the merchandising rights to Spider-Man. They had sold it back to Marvel even before the TASM films just to stay afloat back then (2011): http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/02/02/sony-admits-selling-spider-man-merchandising-rights-were-short-s/

Arad cannot profit any more from toy sales as he has resigned from Marvel.

Spoiler

issa joke

• Disbelief 1

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I'm not going to pretend I have any clue what that subtitle means. 

YourMother mentioned it before but Spider-Verse is an entire interconnected universe (or multiverse) in itself, where various alternate universe Spider-Men/Women/Animals come together to team up. So this movie could be a test to see if Sony can milk its Spider brand for yet another interconnected universe, besides their "Does this spin-off take place in the MCU? Doesn't it?" live action one.

If the film is received well, the plan could be to have other animated films based on some of the other popular Spider-Verse characters like Spider-Gwen (the Gwen Stacy Spider-Woman), Spider-Man 2099 (a Latino Spider-Man based in the future) and potential Minion-type cash cow Spider-Ham (a pig who is Spider-Man, an actual thing that existed even before The Simpson's Spider-Pig :P), and then have an Avengers type team-up for them all.  

spider-verse-18.jpg?w=817

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1