kayumanggi

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-verse | 12.14.2018 | Sony | Phil Lord and Chris Miller

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

LOL. 39M is no Yikes for only 90M production but it'll open higher than that and have long legs. They already announced a sequel and spin-off so that's that. 

There’s no reason we shouldn’t be comparing it to other animated films in terms of box office. 

Very high profile brand and characters, major studio, December release, huge ad campaign ($120m according to Deadline). 

It should be doing $200m+ domestically. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

'Spider-Man: Into The ' takes £750,000 from preview showings - full UK box office results:

Is that good? Wasn’t there a poster that said the screenings were playing to near empty theaters?

1 minute ago, YLF said:

Is that good? Wasn’t there a poster that said the screenings were playing to near empty theaters?

I do not know, I never took on the analysis of animated movie's business.

I post details I see at e.g. Twitter whilst looking for other details, if it's about an actual BO movie, especially of a soon to be released or just released movie, where I am guessing some ppl at least are waiting for news about it, even if I am not into it too.

This one I am curious to a degree based on 'ground-breaking animation' comments, like all movies that might be a surprise or...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, YLF said:

I was surprised by how few there were there and there were less there on the same day than for Mortal Engines.

I wouldn't say it was quite 'near empty', but there weren't many there for either the screening I saw or the one I accidentally walked into when I was meant to be going to ME. But that's only two screenings in a minor UK City at the end of the day.

I will say there hasn't been much advertising here in the UK from what I've seen, and even less for the pre-screenings that are open this week. From what I can tell lots of UK cinemagoers now just assume similar release dates to the US - Aquaman has previews this Wednesday at the same cinema for instance and there was nothing up about that either bar the schedule. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I was surprised by how few there were there and there were less there on the same day than for Mortal Engines.

I wouldn't say it was quite 'near empty', but there weren't many there for either the screening I saw or the one I accidentally walked into when I was meant to be going to ME. But that's only two screenings in a minor UK City at the end of the day.

I will say there hasn't been much advertising here in the UK from what I've seen, and even less for the pre-screenings that are open this week. From what I can tell lots of UK cinemagoers now just assume similar release dates to the US - Aquaman has previews this Wednesday at the same cinema for instance and there was nothing up about that either bar the schedule. 

I think the marketing has been ok here in the U.K. I’m especially hearing that song from the soundtrack everywhere and it’s top 10 in the U.K. chart. 

33 minutes ago, YLF said:

16 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

The link also gives numbers for ME weekend "previews" (is this becoming popular in the UK?):

Mortal Engines, the big-budget tale based on Philip Reeve’s dystopian novel of the same name, from director Christian Rivers and producer Peter Jackson, took £578,861 from previews on Saturday and Sunday this weekend. The film continues to preview this week, leading into its official opening on Friday (Dec 14).

12 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

I can't believe the only bad review spoiling the perfect score so far is because of "blurry animation". :rolleyes:

Making cheap looking superhero movies is the new business model that works in Hollywood right now.

Can't blame them if people are easy to please.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

I can't believe the only bad review spoiling the perfect score so far is because of "blurry animation". :rolleyes:

I am still thinking if I really want to try to find out if his name is really Roger Moore or if that is a strange pseudonym for a critic.

The outlet he wrote that for is not approved by RT, only if he writes, so at least someone has to know him at RT I guess.

Not the first time he wrote something against all the others.

Not meant judgemental for now, only feeling is as strange

• Like 1

Spider-Man™: Into the Spider-Verse OST:

01 Blackway / Black Caviar: “What’s Up Danger”
02 Post Malone / Swae Lee: “Sunflower”
03 Jaden Smith: “Way Up”
04 Nicki Minaj / Anuel AA: “Familia” [ft. Bantu]
05 Aminé: “Invincible”
06 Duckwrth / Shaboozey: ”Start a Riot”
07 Juice WRLD: “Hide” [ft. SEEZYN]
08 Thutmose: “Memories”
09 Ski Mask / Jacquees: “Save the Day” [ft. Coi Leray and LouGotCash]
10 Beau Young Prince: “Let Go”
11 Lil Wayne / Ty Dolla Sign: “Scared of the Dark” [ft. Special Guest]
12 DJ Khalil: “Elevate” [ft. Denzel Curry, YBN Cordae, SwaVay and Trevor Rich]
13 Vince Staples: “Home”

Album is out on friday

https://pitchfork.com/news/vince-staples-nicki-lil-wayne-more-on-new-spider-man-soundtrack/

5 hours ago, terrestrial said:

I am still thinking if I really want to try to find out if his name is really Roger Moore or if that is a strange pseudonym for a critic.

The outlet he wrote that for is not approved by RT, only if he writes, so at least someone has to know him at RT I guess.

Eh people make these claims all the time, there are very few critics I would say are truly contrarians (such as Armond White, Rex Reed and maybe Cole Smithey).

Almost any person you could look through their past reviews and find times when they liked a movie that got bad reviews and disliked a movie that got glowing reviews.  It’s just personal taste and opinions.

Something along the lines of, “Well, this critic who gave a negative review to a movie I want to like also gave a negative review to these 2 positively reviewed movies, they must be bad critics!” gets repeated with every single franchise movie, and it gets a little silly.

With any movie somebody’s bound to dislike it (or only find it ‘eh’).

I also get you weren’t going that far with your argument, but still.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PANDA said:

Eh people make these claims all the time, there are very few critics I would say are truly contrarians (such as Armond White, Rex Reed and maybe Cole Smithey).

Almost any person you could look through their past reviews and find times when they liked a movie that got bad reviews and disliked a movie that got glowing reviews.  It’s just personal taste and opinions.

Something along the lines of, “Well, this critic who gave a negative review to a movie I want to like also gave a negative review to these 2 positively reviewed movies, they must be bad critics!” gets repeated with every single franchise movie, and it gets a little silly.

With any movie somebody’s bound to dislike it (or only find it ‘eh’).

I also get you weren’t going that far with your argument, but still.

No, that's is not.

It's trying to feel if he is a click-bait guy (as his name was repeatedly mentioned when reacting against the stream) in combi with his name, or if he really is named like that (what might not help in his profession) and really thinks what he writes.

2 possible point pro and 2 possible contra = I do not know, but am in the middle to decide if I want to look it up or not.

I have no problem at all with what he wrote here, in this case even less than usual as e.g. another user here too wrote about having problems with his/her eyes watching this movie, might be based on that or he simply does not like it.

E.g. I know about a person who gets epileptic ...cramps (?) when seeing a (red is the worst) light blinking in a certain rhythm

Since then I discussed that example in RL I learned that people can get headaches, nausea,... too, depends on different details / combination of details. 

= if someone says a certain film makes him/her feel wonky or.., I think they are usually in the right to say that, as in usually ppl try not to say things others might deem weak = usually it is worse than they say.

Rex Reed I know I do not like for the reasoning he gave in the past, but to remember the name, the Rex and the Reed had also played into (imagining a very very thin lion), the others I do not know, I do usually not look up names, usually I can remember names only if I read them very often, the name reminds me about something, if someone writes something hate-filled or so, or posts mention someone repeatedly or so....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, terrestrial said:

That's his name and he's been a movie critic for at least a couple of decades.  He wrote for a sizeable Florida Newspaper and was syndicated for awhile (still might be)

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

That's his name and he's been a movie critic for at least a couple of decades.  He wrote for a sizeable Florida Newspaper and was syndicated for awhile (still might be)

Think he wrote for the Orlando Sentinel previously. Pretty sure he was a top critic at one point. I don't think he's fishing for clicks.

• Like 5

Opening box office metrics point to Sony Animation’s Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse —a fresh take on the Marvel superhero where anyone can wear the mask told in a novel cartoon style– in the neighborhood of $30M-$35M, which would be a great start in this sleepy pre-Christmas marketplace.

Those who deal in box office projections are holding their hands up, emphasizing the leg-out factor of the movie, and how hard it is to make moviegoing a priority at this point in time during the holiday season. Interest is strong among families, African American and Hispanic demos. However, there’s an immense amount of heat surrounding this Phil Lord-scripted animated feature, which he produced with his creative partner Christopher Miller, as well as Avi Arad, Amy Pascal, and Christina Steinberg, so no one will be surprised if this movie overindexes. Sony has been screening this movie for the last month, stoking the awards season media with the animated feature earning Best Animated Feature nominations from the Golden Globes, Critics Choice, and the Annie Awards (as well as six other noms), along with Best Animated Feature wins from the New York Film Critics Circle and the Detroit Film Critics Society. Current Rotten Tomatoes is 99% Certified Fresh. Let’s face it: this Spider-Man has more buzz than Venom did before its opening ($80.2M opening, $212.7M and a 28% Rotten score). Last weekend, Sony held paid sneaks for Spider-Verse on Friday at 7PM and Saturday at 2PM. The fun starts on Thursday at 5PM and will play at 3,800 locations on Friday. Spider-Verse carries a reported net $90M production cost.

• Like 1

A single RT critic dares to say the truth about this would-be-movie:

This film was plainly put into production with “devices” other than movie theater projection in mind, as there is no Sony Animation, Pixar, Dreamworks or Blue Sky production that looks as unfinished as “Spiderverse.” I’ll bet it’s perfectly acceptable streaming or on home video where every flaw in motion, design and finish isn’t obvious. As an aesthetic choice, it just doesn’t work.

And if I’m the only one to say that, so be it. I can’t review anything but the headache-inducing blown-up TV (under) animated miasma I see before me. This is sloppy.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1