kayumanggi

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-verse | 12.14.2018 | Sony | Phil Lord and Chris Miller

13 hours ago, cookie said:

Cam leaks are unavoidable and happen with every film. They don't get pirated as much as a crisp version would though since they usually look like hot garbage.

Honestly, if no one said anything about leaks on this forum, I wouldn't even know they were a thing.

• Thanks 1

I doubt it will open big in China. PS is 1 mill yuan for next friday and it will need 9,4-9,6 maoyan score and zootopia~ish WOM to do big numbers..

But anything is possible in China

Edited by fmpro

3 minutes ago, fmpro said:

I doubt it will open big in China. PS is 1 mill yuan for next friday and it will need 9,4-9,6 maoyan score and zootopia~ish WOM to do big numbers..

But anything is possible in China

No too sure about China. The jokes for Spiderverse was very dialogue-y and the Chinese are super racist (which is why Black Panther flopped after opening weekend) so having a black lead character isn't going to help.

Also,Spiderverse dropped from 2nd to 4th place from Wednesday to Thursday in the UK. It's all up to America now. When the hell are Thursday preview numbers coming out? 

• Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

No too sure about China. The jokes for Spiderverse was very dialogue-y and the Chinese are super racist (which is why Black Panther flopped after opening weekend) so having a black lead character isn't going to help.

Also,Spiderverse dropped from 2nd to 4th place from Wednesday to Thursday in the UK. It's all up to America now. When the hell are Thursday preview numbers coming out? 

3,5 mill

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

This is great! probably the best sequence of "testing new powers" in SH movies (of movies I've seen). No motion sickness. Amazing animation that doesn't feel like animation. Should have powerful WOM. My sisters are crushing on Miles hard and prefer him to Parker. :lol:

:puke:

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I don't think so, cause  fast and furious movies are a big success here and most of the main cast is black, and Dwayne Johnson and Vin Diesel movies always make a big success in China.

7 minutes ago, Lucasmessi12 said:

I don't think so, cause  fast and furious movies are a big success here and most of the main cast is black, and Dwayne Johnson and Vin Diesel movies always make a big success in China.

Umm, they are both biracial and both movies were pretty unclear about their ethnicity. Only the comic relief characters can be clearly identified as African American.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • ...wtf 1

40 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I've sadly come to the conclusion that the UK cinemagoing audience is absolute trash. Looking at our track record over the last few years as to which films have done disproportionately well and badly makes for a horror story.

I'd just point out that this isn't exactly a massive shock given that Aquaman opened the day before in the UK, Bohemian Rhapsody is an absolute juggernaut midweek like Mamma Mia before it, and Creed 2s been doing pretty well. 

Ultimately though there just hasn't been much visible marketing for it at all, and it isn't seemingly on the radar of the average cinemagoer in the UK.

• ...wtf 1

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

why? Parker is dorky. Miles has style. Also, Miles is 13 and looks it. Parker is 18 or so and looks 12 (in Holland version). :lol:

Holland version is only meant to be 15. So he’s closer to what he looks ;)

• Like 1

The film opening low in some markets isn't, I think, the end of the world. WOM has to kick in at some point, the film is incredible, I can't imagine it won't. But it's really bizarre that it being animated somehow seems to invalidate it in a good chunk of the general audience's mind? It's Spider-Man goddam it. 

I genuinely had a feeling for months that this would play out almost exactly like Lego Batman. Popular character, niche animation style. It's a shame because it (both of them even) probably deserved better. It's going to take a lot to pierce the international audience with animated CBMs like these. 

5 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

But it's really bizarre that it being animated somehow seems to invalidate it in a good chunk of the general audience's mind? It's Spider-Man goddam it. 

The problem with Spider-verse is that the target audience for it is much older than the usual animated film. Families likely won't watch it (I don't see kids being interested in this movie or even finding it funny) and many adults wouldn't want to watch animated films because animation = for kids (although there are some exceptions like the Pixar sequels which appeal a lot to an older audience because of nostalgia). It's the same reason why adult animation is dead (outside of TV) and masterpieces like Anomalisa couldn't even make 10 million WW.

This is also why it's doing worse than even The Lego Batman in many overseas markets. That film was more family/kids-oriented.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1