Noctis

Should China be counted separately from the rest of the OS markets?

Should China's grosses be separated from Overseas' gross?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Should China's grosses be separated from Overseas' gross?

• Yes, China should be separate from Overseas Grosses, starting as soon as possible
    • Yes, China should be separate from Overseas Grosses, but after ___ amount of time
    • Yes, China should be separate from Overseas Grosses, but after a movie grosses ___ amount of money
    • No, China should not be separate from Overseas Grosses

We judge films based on DOM and OS, but now that China will soon have films that gross $500m due to its rapidly growing number of movie theaters and screens, should it be DOM + OS + China?

Compare films like DH2, Skyfall, and Transformers 3 + 4

China grosses:

DH2: $64m

Skyfall: $59m

TF3: $165m

TF4: $320m

Avengers: $88m

Without China:

DH2: $896m

Avengers: $807m

Skyfall: $744m

TF3: $606m

TF4: $525m

It's amazing how "small" TF4 is when taking China out of the equation. I mean, even if you take DH2's TWO BIGGEST markets (UK + Japan - which both did around $125m each), it would still be at $710m.

With the emergence of China, I think it's become necessary to make China its own category when factoring in worldwide grosses - not only because the numbers are growing massively by the day, but because it gives a better picture of what films did before China exploded. 

DOM + CHI + ROS (rest overseas) = WW

Avatar did $205m in 2009. It's easily going to do over $500m. Probably over $600m. 

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 2

I think we should consider it.

China is still booming like crazy and we don t know how big it will become.

Here, we already have two 300 m us tentpoles grossers.

500m in 2020 ?

And never forget the irony that despite the huge chinese numbers, China government is a bitch and only gives back 25% of the gross so 25m from a 100m gross for the studio.

This has nothing to do about the validity of overseas grosses and more about dick stroking about DH2 box office run overseas. 

1. I don't need to dick stroke DH2's overseas gross or the Potter series for that matter which reign supreme over any blockbuster franchise. 

2. This has EVERYTHING to do with the completely changing dynamics of overseas box office.

is it not overseas anymore? is it part of the US?

how witty, coolio. you deserve a clap on the back for your amazing insight and contribution.

Why is North America counted as one separate entity? Because of its immense numbers and power as a film market. China is soon following the US.

China will become bigger than the US market. The Avatar sequels will do st00pid business in China.

I am with Noctis on this one.

China is a demographic anomaly and they seem to love more and more us tentpoles.

The country is an exception on many levels.

i think we should.

also "dom" charts should be expanded to include most money made in a single market

so 2014 would be

1. American Sniper - 348m DOM
  2. Mockingjay Part 1 - 337m DOM
  3. Guardians of the Galaxy - 333m DOM
  4. Transformers 4 - 320m CHINA
  5. Captain America 2 - 260m DOM

2015 currently

1. Furious 7 - 307m DOM
  2. Furious 7 - 298m CHINA
  3. Cinderella - 188m DOM
  4. 50 Shades of Grey - 166m DOM
  5. Spongebob Movie - 162m DOM
  • Like 3

it's an america centric forum. sure there's a bunch of overseas members, myself included but the US numbers still generate the most discussion. that's why it's seperate. I didn't say whether it should be or not.

But that's my point. China is easily generating the most discussion behind only the States. And films there can and will top the highest grossing film released in the States ($760m). It's not a matter of if, but a matter of when.

this part of the forum for US box office discussion - 1.3 million posts.

os sub-forum - 130k posts. literally 10% of the discussion. that's why.

Of the 1.3 million posts for US box office discussion, much of them are in regards to OS and worldwide numbers, and reviewing films. Not to mention the out-of-topic posts. 

• Like 1