Noctis

Should China be counted separately from the rest of the OS markets?

Should China's grosses be separated from Overseas' gross?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Should China's grosses be separated from Overseas' gross?

• Yes, China should be separate from Overseas Grosses, starting as soon as possible
    • Yes, China should be separate from Overseas Grosses, but after ___ amount of time
    • Yes, China should be separate from Overseas Grosses, but after a movie grosses ___ amount of money
    • No, China should not be separate from Overseas Grosses

I am on topic.  You made another thread to pump Potter's tires.  

No, you're not. DH2 was a perfect example to use that shows how much China's exploded in the past few years. 

I don't need to "bump Potter's tires." Potter is, and has always been, the OS king. 

The comparison between TF4 and DH2 PERFECTLY illustrates how China alone is skewing the numbers so enormously. TF4 is not a growing franchise aside from China. It received huge drops in almost every developed country and many developing ones, as well. 

DH2 w/o China: $896m

TF4 w/o China: $525m

Yet because of China, they come to $960m and $846m. It's massively skewed because of one market and doesn't paint an accurate portrait of whether a film is growing overseas or not. In China, yes. In others, not at all. 

DH2 w/o China: $896m

TF4 w/o China: $525m

What is the point of this comparison?

DH2 made 1.34B, TF4 didn't even do 1.1B... they are not the same film. And we all know TF4 relied on China more than most films, so what?

• Like 1

Actually, thinking about it another way, the argument is that China constitutes such a large percentage of the OS gross that it should be separated from OS. This seems to be the basis of the argument. However, the United States constitutes a much larger portion of the domestic market than Canada. Yet, no one is arguing that Canada should be counted towards OS or removed from the Domestic number. Therefore, China shouldn't be separated from the OS either. If the US/Canada can share the domestic market, then China should be kept as part of the OS.

Edited by Walt Disney

China is kinda becoming a decent international spot for box office business correct me if I'm wrong but it's helped out domestic flops like Robocop, Pacific Rim, Need For Speed,Escape Plan, and some blockbusters like the more recent Furious 7 and Transformers 4 just to name a few

If Pacific Rim 2 does 500m WW with 475m coming from OS and 450 of that coming from china, wouldn't it be weird to say Pacific rim is more popular OS than Star Trek?

It was popular in China, and yes I know we can do this for each market blah blah blah . 

But the reason is its always been DOM and OS because the markets have always been kinda equal. OS ticket sales and grosses for the year were in line with Domestic for the most part. 

We are heading to a point where that is no longer the case. 30% of movies aren't going to do better OS then DOM anymore. 80% of movies are going to do better OS. Times change. Discussing China being counted separately is only logical. 

Plus since only a handful of films get released there at the moment I think its safe to say it could be counted differently. 

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 2

I think the focus on China is a bit misleading. It's the fastest growing market, but the problem is more indicative that the DOM/OS breakdown is not especially useful. It clumps all OS markets together as if they're the same and also that US+Canada is somehow unique.

Now, while it might be somewhat ideal to take every market individually, that's not really feasible. We need some sort of clustering to get a better handle on the data. It's entirely possible we should go with more than two data points, though.

I'd suggest something like this:

1) US, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand

2) Rest of Europe, Russia.

3) Latin America.

4) China, S. Korea, Japan.

5) India, S Asia, SE Asia, Oceania

6) Africa, Middle East

The trades are starting to talk about chinese bo as a separate entity and you still question the validity of Noctis point ?

Check out the Deadline articles on blockbusters profitability, that says it all. China is a very unique and special case for very obvious reasons, what s so hard to understand really ?

People have already moved on.

China is becoming a monster and bo will be reported more and more in three parts, dom, os and china.

Times, they are changing.

And I have no doubt the more us blockbusters will get succesful over there, the bigger percentage gross will come back to the studios.

China is every big six studio number one priority.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

“Ultron rewrote the record books for the release of a superhero adaptation in Scandinavia. The tentpole opens this week in Mexico and Spain and a further 20 territories. China is set for May 12 and Japan July 4. Imax registered a record for the largest non-China international opening of all-time on $10.4m from 175 screens with a $60,000 per-screen average. Interstellar set the previous mark on $7.19m. There were record Imax debuts in the UK as reported earlier, South Korea on $1.6m from 15 screens, Philippines on $650,000 from eight, Hong Kong on $420,000 from four, Brazil on $410,000 from 11, India on $170,000 from four and Indonesia on $165,000 from four.” http://www.screendaily.com/box-office/ultron-storms-to-2012m-intl/5086998.article?blocktitle=LATEST-FILM-NEWS&contentID=40562 So IMAX are now reporting China/OS numbers separately ? ...

? China is grouped right now in OS, not a separate number on its own. That's the whole point of this thread.

Countless articles about bo now focus on chinese bo performance of american blockbusters and when the articles focus on os bo as a whole, the chinese number is almost always mentionned since it s often the biggest.

Countless articles about bo now focus on chinese bo performance of american blockbusters and when the articles focus on os bo as a whole, the chinese number is almost always mentionned since it s often the biggest.

Well yeah, but it's still technically in OS numbers which is where it should be. I don't think it matters what a country brings in, it's either in US or not. Period.