Plain Old Tele

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

Guys, we tried something a little new with the FURIOUS 7 weekend thread, and I think it turned out pretty well. Lots of fun to be had, some digressions, but always easy to find the numbers. So, let me lay out a few ground rules.

1. The staff are gonna pay as much attention to this thread as possible. Firstly, so that we can update any early numbers that come in as quickly as possible (they will be put in the thread title and first post), and secondly, so we can keep some modicum of sanity as the weekend continues.

2. No totally random off-topic stuff will be allowed. Sure, we expect there will be plenty of side discussions and digressions that happen, but they should at least pertain somewhat to the topic at hand: Marvel, movies, etc. If we end up with pages on pages talking about Finnish pizza, that stuff's gonna get moved to the CC. Also, if someone pops into the thread and just out of nowhere posts something un-related to any discussion that's happening, that will also get moved to the CC.

3. It's to be expected that there'll be some back-and-forth and some fun to be had, but the forum rules still apply. No personal attacks. No wild trolling. Despite letting the weekend thread be a bit more than just numbers, we're not gonna let it turn into a flame-war.

Let's enjoy what's sure to be a crazy weekend!

FRIDAY UPDATES:

AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON debuted with a mighty $27.6M last night--far above the original's $18.7M.

AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON also broke the Thursday IMAX record, grossing $3M, surpassing DARK KNIGHT RISES w/ $2.3M.

AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON premium format breakdown: 24% 3D, 12% IMAX, 8% PLF--44% total.

AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON early totals--$27.6M domestic, $287.3M int'l, $314.9M worldwide.

Gitesh Pandya ‏@giteshpandya 1m1 minute ago

Super early right now, but source tells me #AvengersAgeOfUltron heading to possible high 80s today incl THU pre-shows.

DHD

Update, 1:22PM: Industry box office estimates see Disney’s MarvelAvengers: Age of Ultron on track for a $87M opening Friday at the domestic B.O., inclusive of yesterday’s $27.6M receipts. That would make Ultron the second highest opening day of all-time behind Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II which made $91.07M on its first Friday (on its way to a $169.2M weekend). An $87M first Friday for Ultron also pegs it ahead of first installment Avengers which made $80.8M. The industry estimate for Ultron opening weekend is currently $213M. Again, these figures become harder as cash drawers close out into the evening.

Variety

The first-day numbers for “Age of Ultron” look to come in between $89 million and $98 million — which could break the $91 million opening day record set in July 2011, by Warner Bros.’ “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2.”

Gitesh Pandya ‏@giteshpandya · 4m4 minutes ago

Disney just now stating it expects #AvengersAgeOfUltron to top $200M this wknd. Says record is "in sight." #Avengers

BO.com

Based on these early reports, suggesting an opening day of $90 million or more (which could be a record if it tops the final Harry Potter's $91 million first day), BoxOffice is currently projecting an opening weekend around $220-225 million.

DHD

Update, 4:50PM: Deadline has received a new updated set of industry estimates showing Disney/Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron clocking toward the highest opening single day of all-time with $94M-$97M, blowing away previous champ 2011’s Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II which made $91.07M. That figure includes the $27.6M from Thursday night shows.

THR

Disney and Marvel Studios' Avengers: Age of Ultron is doing superhero-like business at the Friday box office, where it is pacing to gross $85 million-$89 million for the day for what could be the second biggest opening day of all time behind the final Harry Potter film ($91.7 million).

Rth

atm I'm going with 95-100, see how it goes, i was relucted to have high end 100 , early i was thinking just over 90

TheWrap

It’s on pace to make $97 million for Friday alone.

Rth (late update:

Yeah l i was saying earlier about pre-sales among other things, lower it to 89-93, DH2 record may still be in play will see . Thing is took pre-sales into account but they were obsurd

DHD

1). Avengers: Age of Ultron (DIS), 4,276 theaters / $85M* Fri. / 3-day cume: $202.6M / Wk 1

*includes Thursday preview B.O. of $27.6M.

2). Furious 7 (UNI), 3,305 theaters (-503) / $2M Fri. (-57%) / 3-day cume: $7.7M (-57%) / Total cume: $331.9M/ Wk 5

3). The Age of Adaline (LGF), 2,991 theaters (0)/ $2.3M Fri. (-52%)/ 3-day cume: $7.2M (-46%) / Total cume: $24.3M/ Wk 2

4). Paul Blart Mall Cop 2 (SONY), 3,548 theaters (-85)/ $1.7M Fri. (-54%)/ 3-day cume: $6.8M (-54%)/ Total cume: $52.6M / Wk 3

5). Home (FOX/DW), 2,852 theaters (-459) / $945K Fri. (-49%) / 3-day cume: $4M (-49%)/ Total cume: $158.9M / Wk 6

6). Unfriended (UNI), 2,221 theaters (-554) / $770K Fri. (-62%)/ 3-day cume: $2.32M (-62%)/ Total Cume: $28.8M/Wk 3

7). Ex Machina (A24), 1,279 theaters (+24) / $735K Fri. (-57%) / 3-day cume: $2.31M (57%)/ Total cume: $10.8M / Wk 4

AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON earned an estimated $84.46M on opening day Friday. #Avengers #AgeOfUltron

— BoxOffice (@BoxOffice) May 2, 2015

SATURDAY UPDATES:

Late Sat update:

We looked briefly while ago thinking 63-67 today see how evening goes.

Official Weekend Estimate: 187.66M

Edited by #ED
  • Like 25

I hope this movie bombs; Disney made a huge mistake in not attaching Star Wars to every show

I don't know how much the rest of you know about geek culture, but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in the mainstream consciousness where you can become successful just by making a decent movie. If you screw someone over in geekdom, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance. 

What this means is the geek public, after seeing the film and NOT getting the Star Wars trailer, is not going to want to see a new Marvel movie ever again, or heck, maybe never even a Disney movie again. This is HUGE. You can laugh at this post if you want, but I swear, I might never see a Disney film again after this betrayal.

Disney, move Star Wars up to May 8 or you can kiss my money goodbye.
  • Like 5

Currently 12 AM  on the WC, 3 AM EC

For CF we got numbers at ~11:40 AM EST.

IM3  ~11:30 AM EST.

MJ1 ~11:00 AM EST.

So 8.5 hours to go folks.  Maybe earlier if it's something really astonishing

Edited by Spizzer - Manav

Currently 12 AM  on the WC, 3 AM EC

For CF we got numbers at ~11:40 AM EST.

IM3  ~11:30 AM EST.

MJ1 ~11:00 AM EST.

So 8.5 hours to go folks.  Maybe earlier if it's something really astonishing

We got FURIOUS 7's numbers around 5:30-6am PDT, I think.

• Like 1