Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

$200 million OW 

$550 million DOM total (reasonable since the first got a 3x. A 2.75x is achieveable... especially since Mad Max and Tomorrowland are about as strong as Battleship/MIB 3 combined)

$1.25 billion OS total

$1.8 billion WW total

I think Marvel/Disney will be satisfied regardless of the DOM decline  :)

They were always going to be happy lol durrrrrrrrrrrr

• Like 1

Spizzer adjusted for all that :)

TDK is still king in tickets sold and likely will be for a long time, but I'm pretty sure Avengers sold more than 65 million tickets. It's pretty much on par with SM1 in terms of tickets. The 3D share wasn't THAT big.

• Like 1

$200 million OW 

$550 million DOM total (reasonable since the first got a 3x. A 2.75x is achieveable... especially since Mad Max and Tomorrowland are about as strong as Battleship/MIB 3 combined)

$1.25 billion OS total

$1.8 billion WW total

Nah. if you take out previews it would need legs almost as good as 1st one to make that much. This one is received lot weaker than last one. Plus movies are getting more frontloaded. I doubt it will even crack 500m. In fact if saturday underperforms I will join AOU < TDKR club.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

But clearly one of of those is a huge disappointment. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Well, TDK had IMAX so I think it's more like 71-72 million. Avengers had $68-69 million.

No I accounted for IMAX on TDK's part and 3D, IMAX, and other premium formats for TA.  It's 73 and 65.

• Like 1

$200 million OW 

$1.25 billion OS total

$1.8 billion WW total

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: This will barely hit 1B OS. Let alone 1.8B WW and 550M DOM.

• Founder / Operator

Aside from the discrepancies in last night's numbers, I still have to look at the history of Marvel movies holding better than expected over the course of the weekend because of their insane family appeal. Not just Avengers, but Iron Man 3, Spider-Man 3, etc. all had strong Saturdays and/or Sundays. I'd be slightly surprised if it fell below $200m for the weekend, and I still think the record's definitely in play.

That being said... nothing wrong with lowering expectations!

Edit: For whatever it's worth, Disney is also still projecting $200-210 million. They're generally pretty accurate, but we'll see.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 19

Exactly.

Once you go so high, there s just one way but down.

Titanic 2 would have made less than the first one, lol

Lol, true..considering Titanic 1 got rid of the ship.

QUESTION:  Do you guys take Forbes' Scott Mendelson's box-office thoughts and extrapolations seriously or is he a Nikki Finke type?  I'm just reading an article he just published about his thoughts on AOU's Friday numbers.

I like him. He is reasonable with his numbers while still laying out the absolute low and high ends based on precedent.

But SM2 opened in the middle of the week.  It would likely have broken the OW record had it opened on a Friday and it still made ~93% of the original's gross.

SM2 had a huge opening, though it was partially inflated by the July 4th holiday. After 6 days it was at $180m compared to $144m for SM1. TA2 is more likely to be way under TA1 after the same amount of time.

• Like 1

B-but Avatar... Not Titanic 2, exactly, but there were a lot of skeptics that Cameron could make the biggest movie ever, again.

With the Marvel movies doing so well I did think Avengers 2 would benefit and finish pretty close to the first one. Maybe it will pull a Catching Fire and surprise us with the multiplier.

Avatar is a dwarf in attendance next to Titanic.

• Like 1

No offense but every time I read this I laugh - this fight while huge doesn't hold a candle to the Ali/Frazier fights I grew up with but I guess this is a new century ;)

I wasn't around during the Ali-Frazier fight, so I have nothing to add except i'm sure it was massive. But as far as this fight, judging from how much money both HBO and Showtime are reporting to be making off of Pay-per-view, plus the Derby, NBA playoffs, and the NFL Draft, I expect AOU Saturday's numbers to be affected.