Noctis

Would DH2 have done $100m if it had Thursday previews?

It's astonishing to me how 5 hours of Thursday gets lumped into the Friday number which gives films an unfair advantage over ones that had a proper 24 hour cycle.

AoU, if it does around 93m for its opening "day", would trump DH2 even though it had a five hour head start. DH2 would have hit $100m if it had an extra 5 hours of previews.

I just don't know why BOM isn't counting the preview numbers separately.

No idea but, as I said in the other thread, counting 5 hours worth of a Thursday towards weekend BO is a weasel move. Maybe in a few years Hollywood will just say 'fuck it' and include Wednesday evenings too.

• Like 3

It's because the studios aren't reporting them separately.  These previews have a midnight gross mixed in as well so ideally we'd want to separate pre-12AM shows and post-12AM shows, but think about it from the perspective of the studio.  Why would you want to make your grosses look less impressive?

• Like 1

I'm not convinced it would change much. The people who would have gone to see it on Thursday evening likely just ended up seeing it on Friday or going to the midnight showing, and since all three are counted in the same number, it doesn't really matter. 

• Like 1

Automatic generated message

This topic has been closed by a moderator.

Reason: You need to let Potter go, you create a new thread about it every week or something :lol: No need for this.

If you disagree with this action, please report this post and a moderator or administrator will reconsider it.

Kind regards,

Box Office Theory Forums Staff

Reason: Already to many Potter threads.

If you disagree with this action, please report this post and a moderator or administrator will reconsider it.

Kind regards,

Reason: You need to let Potter go, you create a new thread about it every week or something :lol: No need for this.

Kind regards,

Reason: Already to many Potter threads.

Kind regards,

Why do I feel that this topic is not closed though?

• Like 5

Why do I feel that this topic is not closed though?

You have unique powers!

Edit: Oh, look, I DO AS WELL.

Edited by ChD

Maybe a majority of Mods is needed to close a topic now?  :)

I'm not convinced it would change much. The people who would have gone to see it on Thursday evening likely just ended up seeing it on Friday or going to the midnight showing, and since all three are counted in the same number, it doesn't really matter. 

This

Last Avengers showing in the area was midnight. Potter had showings all the way up to 6AM. If you ask me, that's SIX EXTRA HOURS!

;)

AoU's going to make 70M on proper Friday compared to 47M for DH2 so yeah 100M wouldn't happened even with the 7 PM start on Thursday.