34 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Armageddon

I own the Criterion DVD and Bay said on the dvd that he was no interested in scientific accuracy. He said he went out to entertain, not educate. I think that's one of the reasons the film is so much fun.

I know I'm saying the same thing again, but I'm genuinely interested.

Because it's more fun to have an explosion in space when it's not possible according to science. It's also fun to give someone space dementia when there is no such thing.

Because it's more fun to have an explosion in space when it's not possible according to science. It's also fun to give someone space dementia when there is no such thing.

the down side of it, we produce stupid uneducated kids and presidents(Reagan) who believe that something out of a movie really happened to them

the down side of it, we produce stupid uneducated kids and presidents(Reagan) who believe that something out of a movie really happened to them

If they're that stupid then they (and we for that matter) have larger problems than a movie by Michael Bay.
  • Like 2

so now we're getting our education from movies? Have you read American history books lately? Not much truth in those either.

This movie is actually awesome if you don't take it *too* seriously. Its packed with a lot of hilarious comedy in the beginning and awesome action with some memorable money shots. I also liked the music in this. The difference between this movie and Transformers 2 is that Armageddon doesn't entirely take its audience for complete dumbasses. Also, Liv Tyler was hot as !&$% in this.B+

how did they get that stupid?

Because kids aren't taught to think for themselves. It's certainly not because Armageddon taught them to be stupid.

Because kids aren't taught to think for themselves. It's certainly not because Armageddon taught them to be stupid.

I am still afraid that movies bear their share. In an article (huffingon..) they wrote that Jaden Smith (Will's son) asked Pres.Obama, if aliens exist. He obviously has watched too many MIB movies. How can a thirteen year old believe that. Edited by Rudolf

I am still afraid that movies bear their share. In an article (huffingon..) they wrote that Jaden Smith (Will's son) asked Pres.Obama, if aliens exist. He obviously has watched too many MIB movies. How can a thirteen year old believe that.

That's not an indictment of a 13 year olds intellect, it's more of a compliment. Lots of people believe in aliens and it's a legit question especially when it was rumoured that this administration was going to make an announcement concerning aliens. So I'm assuming you don't believe in life intelligent life from another planet?http://voices.yahoo.com/president-obama-ufo-alien-disclosure-7570680.html?cat=34http://www.thehealersjournal.com/2012/01/23/chinese-national-tv-reporting-impending-ufoet-disclosure-by-obama-government/This stuff has been rumoured for years. So Jaden's question seems apropos.
  • Like 1

That's not an indictment of a 13 year olds intellect, it's more of a compliment. Lots of people believe in aliens and it's a legit question especially when it was rumoured that this administration was going to make an announcement concerning aliens. So I'm assuming you don't believe in life intelligent life from another planet?http://voices.yahoo.com/president-obama-ufo-alien-disclosure-7570680.html?cat=34http://www.thehealersjournal.com/2012/01/23/chinese-national-tv-reporting-impending-ufoet-disclosure-by-obama-government/This stuff has been rumoured for years. So Jaden's question seems apropos.

I believe in the possibility of intelligent life on other planets, but not that they are visiting us or ever have done so in the past.

I believe in the possibility of intelligent life on other planets, but not that they are visiting us or ever have done so in the past.

Fair enough, but that doesn't make JS's question that strange.But we're digressing here. I love the movie.

The millennial generation is stupid because of the internet, social networking/media, reality shows, and shit like MTV. All this teaches kids that the world revolves around them. It also diminishes intelligence because they're getting bombarded with so much shit that they can't really tell what is smart/dumb and true/false. Michael Bay just makes money off of them. "Useful idiots" as Lenin would say.

Edited by Shpongle

But who cares? If you're entertained, isn't that the point of a movie?

Please re-read your review of "Planet of the Apes" where you made a good point:

A good film will entertain you, an even better one can enlighten you. But only a very few precious films can keep you entertained and fill your head with a plethora of thought provoking ideas and "what-ifs" at the very same time.

That's my opinion too.

And I have absolutely nothing against explosions and unscientific action in space; "Empire Strikes Back" is one of my favourites to this day. But then, why bother with Space Shuttles? That's what I found so strange about Armageddon - the bogus science entering our prosaic world. Star Trek was as entertaining and had equally bad science, but who cares in a Star Trek film?

• Like 1

The problem with Armageddon-like movies is that the concept of mankind fighting an approaching asteriod or comet is so intriguing that it can't be passed in films. At the same time with present or near future technology we don't stand a chance and can only hope that luck favors us at least for some centuries to come.