antovolk

Annihilation | Paramount | Feb 23 2018 | Alex Garland | Natalie Portman | Reviews Embargoed till day of release

On 7/1/2017 at 5:05 PM, The Futurist said:

But it will make not a lot of dollars ...

Thats reality though ...

Will Garland accept a bazillion dollar offer from WB or Disney or someone one of these days?

31 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Seems like the whispers of a 2017 release are growing stronger.

http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/2017/07/area-x-follow/

I get excited but then I remember I live in New Zealand so even if this gets a 2017 release, I probably won't get it until February 2018 or something.

Ah well. As long as I get it eventually.

15 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I get excited but then I remember I live in New Zealand so even if this gets a 2017 release, I probably won't get it until February 2018 or something.

So, you're using "Japan's game's rules"? Cause I thought you never have a problem with timeliness of new releases. 

Edited by KeepItU25071906

3 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

So, you're using "Japan's game's rules"? Cause I thought you never have a problem with timeliness of new releases. 

Most of the big releases come out at the same time as the US (even then, they still delay some of them; Lego Batman came out in half way through April, for example) but a lot of the smaller stuff does get lost until Oscar season. On the flip-side, gives me stuff to watch over the holidays. Plus we get Thor: Ragnarok a week earlier than the states, so it's not all bad.

8 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Most of the big releases come out at the same time as the US (even then, they still delay some of them; Lego Batman came out in half way through April, for example) but a lot of the smaller stuff does get lost until Oscar season. On the flip-side, gives me stuff to watch over the holidays. Plus we get Thor: Ragnarok a week earlier than the states, so it's not all bad.

In my country we have a big problem with film distribution small releases. Even more: I've never seen Birdman in the movietheatre(((. "Nightcrawler" released in Ukraine 5 month later than in US (when all've already seen it in the Internet)

Of course, sometimes we catch a luck and can see "Hell or High water" or "Patterson" in the cinema, but...

It's just a "minute of complaint":)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

So this won't be an Oscar player then? Don't think any movie has waited 2 months to expand if it goes limited on Christmas for Oscar qualification.

It could still be, but if it happen they will change the wide release date to a december/january one, some movie move a lot and relatively close to the release date Live by Night last year, the Big Short the year before got is award December release announced in late september because of how surprisingly well the movie was playing in test screening.

33 minutes ago, Barnack said:

It could still be, but if it happen they will change the wide release date to a december/january one, some movie move a lot and relatively close to the release date Live by Night last year, the Big Short the year before got is award December release announced in late september because of how surprisingly well the movie was playing in test screening.

I hope they don't try to give it the Oscar run this year. It's a type of a movie that needs festival rollout to gain traction, not end-of-the-year release when favorites are already winning critical awards and what not. The tide has turned against late entries. The winners and most of nominees are dominated by September-October movies. 

Glad this finally got a release date. I've been ready to watch it for a while.

Funny that it jumps right in to the spot Pacific Rim ran away from. Obviously this isn't going for the big money shot spectacle though. Hopefully it can find an audience in the shadow of what is likely to be a very popular Black Panther movie.