Alpha

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates: PP2 - $70.3M, MM:FR - $45.5M, TA2 - $38.84M

Elisabeth Banks' character played in the Hunger Games franchise.

She produced the first Perfect Pitch, produced and directed the second one.

More power to her.

Ah ok, I like Elisabeth Banks.

What's Pitch Perfect though?

#thereisonlyfuryroad

WB green lit FURY ROAD and saw it thru for the same Paramount was willing to invest $175m+ for a project that grossed $385m WW (Star Trek).... to use a re-imagining of one of their library franchises to jumpstart a new one while breathing new life into the old titles.

WB green lit FURY ROAD and saw it thru for the same Paramount was willing to invest $175m+ for a project that grossed $385m WW (Star Trek).... to use a re-imagining of one of their library franchises to jumpstart a new one while breathing new life into the old titles.

But previous Star Trek movies were more bigger than any Mad Max films and Star Trek is a staple of american pop culture.

Mad Max is way more niche, cultish even.

Yes. The stars have aligned for both. Everything from Universal's momentum to JW and it's brand identification opening by itself after nothing major launching over Memorial Day. Both are primed to smash.

I know. I was being sarcastic.

I'd have to imagine Mad Max 5 would be cheaper, right? Because a lot of the budget had to go to starting and stopping of production...

IDK I just want Mad Max: Furiosa and Mad Max 6 as soon as possible

Sat looking like

PP2 24.7 ,AOU 17.5 ,MMFR 16.3

So 25% increase from Friday for Max if you remove preview showings. Is that good?

(With preview showings, it's an 18% decrease... this is bad right? :( Oh well, Fri+Sat is still above my initial weekend predict)

So 25% increase from Friday for Max if you remove preview showings. Is that good?

(With preview showings, it's an 18% decrease... this is bad right? :( Oh well, Fri+Sat is still above my initial weekend predict)

it's a better Saturday hold than Great Gatsby. But I wonder if it will drop harsher than Gatsby on Sunday (Sunday for Gatsby was -26%)

Sat looking like

PP2 24.7 ,AOU 17.5 ,MMFR 16.3

So potentially a 70M OW for PP2, 43M for Fury Road and 39M for AOU.

AOU has basically been steady at the 8-10% greater than IM3 dailies since weekend 1, tracking for a 445-455M finish depending on final weeks and expansions. Almost everyone in the BSG is going to lose major points on AOU, even the more conservative predicts were still in the 550-560M range.

Rth's username reminds me of the weekend when the forum decided to change usernames to 50 Shades inspired names in anticipation for the amazing 50 Shades weekend thread full of derailments and record breaking numbers and an out of control thread. The record did happen but by the end of the week it was clear it was more overhyped than anything rooted in reality, including CJohn's 2d OW record and over Star Wars prediction.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

Didn't it do 16.7 with previews. How is 16.7 --> 16.3 an 18% drop? 

But previous Star Trek movies were more bigger than any Mad Max films and Star Trek is a staple of american pop culture.

Mad Max is way more niche, cultish even.

My point was that FR is headed towards a similar WW gross on a similar budget... yet we view one as this huge amazing success and some are mixed/negative on the financial reasoning for the other.

Or, putting it another way: let's say it's a few years ago and you're WB. You've sunk some amount of money (tens of millions?) into the prep-work, only to be hit with more delays. Do you pull the plug? And today, looking at the result the movie has gotten (both financially and critically), are you sad that you chose to continue with the project, even though it ended up being more expensive than was originally intended (waaaaaay back when)?

• Like 3